PDA

View Full Version : Substance Painter for $50 bucks

vonpietro
12-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Heres another goodie, great product to help us paint those objects.

The sale is only 24 hours. On steam it was 45 hours left. It's both available on steam and the allegorithmic website.

http://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-painter

$50 bucks for substance painter 1.0 (I think 1.1 is out too).

4k output which is 2k better than the educational version of 3d coat. (although 3d coat supports lightwave)

The demo is very cool. Particle brushes -

On an aside, I think we can do something similar in lightwave by the way, I saw a plug in that made particles leave trails on surfaces. I did not see how robust that is though.
if anyone finds this please let me know I lost track of it.

pinkmouse
12-17-2014, 02:55 AM
Particle paint in DP's Renderman collection. Bit flakey when I tried to use it to simulate weapon hits on an energy screen, but may work better for other uses.

lightscape
12-17-2014, 04:22 AM
Any limitation on the steam version?
What's the advantage compared to zbrush and 3dcoat?

CaptainMarlowe
12-17-2014, 04:49 AM
I had made this article about Painter back during the beta, it may help :
http://captainmarlowe.blogspot.fr/2014/06/allegorithmics-substance-painter-next.html

DP particle paint can't be compared with real-time 3D particle paint in SP, really.
Substance painter has largely replaced 3D-Coat for painting in my workflow, but I still uses 3D-Coat for 8K when needed, but also for UV unwrapping, or to add some details because it has some tools not yet existing in SP (text tools, splines...)

For 50$, it's a steal. AFAIK, there is no diffenrece between the steam version and the version sold directly by Allegorithmic.

lightscape
12-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Thanks. So its going to kick 3dcoat in the future, huh. :D
For 50 bucks looks like I'll be picking it up. It has enough unique features to be really useful as a standalone texturing app.

CaptainMarlowe
12-17-2014, 05:24 AM
Honestly, I almost don't do any texturing in LW anymore for my UV'ed objects (tanks, spacecrafts...) needing some interchange. I generally create a base coat in 3D-Coat, and then rely mainly on substance designer and substance painter for the main job. Beware, for some effects in painter you'll need some specific maps (curvature, AO...) that need to be created in Substance Designer or in Bitmap2Materials. BUT, these bakers should arrive natively in substance painter at some point, they are on the V1.X roadmap.

Of course, when I need to texture an object nodally and when it's not supposed to be exchanged with another software, then I'm mainly on LW. But going the substance designer (nodal) or painter (layered) road without having to bake textures afterwards, and getting in a row al the needed outputs (diffuse, spec, normal, emissive, opacity... you name it) has been for me much quicker than any try and work in LW I've made before. Sure, everything that you can do in substance designer or painter could be done nodally in LW. But it would take longer, and the baking process would be just painful compared to these apps.

Here is an example of a scuff drone textured in a few hours. It would have taken me a lot more time to achieve the same result directly in LW :
http://captainmarlowe.blogspot.fr/2014/07/close-air-support-drone.html

djwaterman
12-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Okay, so I have a question about these kind of texturing methods, I guess I'm talking about Substance Painter, I'm watching the video and it looks to me that you wouldn't be bringing a subD model into there, but a triangulated mesh, or perhaps a heavily subdivided mesh. Does that mean I could UV my SubD mesh, then copy that geometry and freeze it, take it into Substance Painter, paint it up using the UV I'd made, and bring that texture map back into Lightwave and apply it to my original subD geometry?

lightscape
12-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Honestly, I almost don't do any texturing in LW anymore for my UV'ed objects (tanks, spacecrafts...) needing some interchange. I generally create a base coat in 3D-Coat, and then rely mainly on substance designer and substance painter for the main job. Beware, for some effects in painter you'll need some specific maps (curvature, AO...) that need to be created in Substance Designer or in Bitmap2Materials. BUT, these bakers should arrive natively in substance painter at some point, they are on the V1.X roadmap.

Of course, when I need to texture an object nodally and when it's not supposed to be exchanged with another software, then I'm mainly on LW. But going the substance designer (nodal) or painter (layered) road without having to bake textures afterwards, and getting in a row al the needed outputs (diffuse, spec, normal, emissive, opacity... you name it) has been for me much quicker than any try and work in LW I've made before. Sure, everything that you can do in substance designer or painter could be done nodally in LW. But it would take longer, and the baking process would be just painful compared to these apps.

Here is an example of a scuff drone textured in a few hours. It would have taken me a lot more time to achieve the same result directly in LW :
http://captainmarlowe.blogspot.fr/2014/07/close-air-support-drone.html

I hope the baking is as good as xnormals. I guess you're using it like ddo to texture wear and tear. I'm already using 3dcoat and modo to do the base paints so I wanted to see if I can do that in spainter as well so I won't have to use multiple appz.

Lito
12-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Be sure to read the EULA. It's a strange one and the $50 program is for the indie version and has a usage limitation based off your income.

"Substance Painter Indie License may not be licensed or used by a commercial entity with annual gross revenues (based on prior fiscal year) in excess of US$10,000, or by an educational, academic, non-profit or government entity with a total annual budget for the entire entity (based on prior fiscal year) in excess of US$10,000."

If you work a regular day job even at minimum wage, you exceed that most likely. I guess even for a hobbyist that would mean your annual income since you would be considered a sole proprietor. I am sure they mean income generated from your use of the software from the business field you use their software on, but it's not exactly clear in their EULA. IANAL but from the way the EULA is worded it seems as if most people in this forum wouldn't qualify for the "indie" $50 deal.

CaptainMarlowe
12-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Yes I'm pretty sure it's 10,000$ revenu from this software. It had been clarified on the forums or a newsletter some times ago, I don't recall exactly.

@lightscape : the bakers are quite good, yes (in designer). As for 3D-Coat, I create my base coat there because I am quite lazy, and I don't have explored painter fully yet. I am also somehow annoyed by the lack of 3D mouse support (once again in the roadmap).
When I want to paint then to go nodal for details, I usually get to 3D-Coat then substance designer. Being a mac user, the 3D-Coat step is almost unavoidable for UVing the objects, since I can't use PLG tools. So why not creating the base coat in the same session ? OTOH, it is absolutely possible to texture completely from scratch a model in substance designer or painter, without opening 3D-Coat. Painter is pretty complete right now, except for the following features in my book :
- 3D mouse
- Spline, lines and text tools
- Integrated bakers

Particle painting is quite magic, also.
Anyway, the substance inside suite has enhanced my workflow considerably. There wisest step I took in 3D with Lightwave (but that was years ago). It sure doesn't disqualify 3D-Coat, which is still useful for me for sculpting, UVing and retopology, along with the painting tasks (8K...) that I've mentioned before.

Marander
12-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Does somebody know how licensing is done? Is there a license file similar to LW or is it internet activated and bound to the machine / installation? Does is need to be purchased via Steam? I try to avoid software with these kind of activation procedures or even rental ones. How does this work with Substance Painter?

CaptainMarlowe
12-17-2014, 12:28 PM
You can buy directly from Algorithmic website.
The licensing works like in lightwave, you download a license key and copy/paste it on a requester at first launch.

Marander
12-17-2014, 12:46 PM
You can buy directly from Algorithmic website.
The licensing works like in lightwave, you download a license key and copy/paste it on a requester at first launch.

Thanks Captain!

Edit: Bought... thanks vonpietro for the info!

caustics
12-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't run on OSX 10.6.8 :-(

Marander
12-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't run on OSX 10.6.8 :-(

Mac OSX 10.8 and higher, but that shouldn't be a problem. ok my MacMini is also still on SnowLeopard...

jboudreau
12-17-2014, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=CaptainMarlowe;1414532]Yes I'm pretty sure it's 10,000$ revenu from this software. It had been clarified on the forums or a newsletter some times ago, I don't recall exactly.

I could be wrong but I don't think it has anything to do with revenue from the software because why would they be saying it's based on prior fiscal year. How could you base it on prior year if you don't even own the software. I think they are basing it on your annual income which like one user said ($10,000 isn't much)

I have an e-mail into the company asking them to verify how their indie license works, I will post in this thread what they say

Thanks
Jason

vonpietro
12-17-2014, 05:03 PM
well, its not on sale on the main website anymore,
however it's still going on with steam, I'm getting mine today.
=)
thanks captain for the info too.

Lito
12-17-2014, 05:29 PM
The FAQ from the Steam Forums:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/273390/discussions/0/558749824526979771/

Question: "I work part time for a company and part time indie/freelance. Does this 10.000$ limit stand for my independant/freelance income only or would I have to "add" my income on the two jobs together? Despite being in the same field of work (3D art - duh) they *are* separate from each other."

From the developer: "If you use the software for your side freelance gig at home and not at the office, then you're good!"

But if your side freelance gig generates $10k in income your breaking the indie license and it is terminated. You have to buy a pro license to continue to use the software. So in essence the indie $50 deal is for a very limited commercial license.

Oedo 808
12-17-2014, 07:13 PM
That seems fair enough to me for an indie licence.

jboudreau
12-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Hi Guys

This is what Allegorithmic had to say:

The Indie license allows you to use the software on commercial projects as long as your company makes less than $10K of revenue per year. If you have above that limit, you would need the Pro license.
That's $10K altogether, as a company.

Hope this helps
Jason

unstable
12-23-2014, 06:47 AM
I purchased the Indie package which includes painter, designer and bit2 and I've been watching the videos. But I'm stuck on how to apply bakes from Designer to a lightwave model and would appreciate any guidance one could provide. I'm still trying to learn to UV which probably doesn't help, but here are the steps I've taken.
1. I created a low res tire in ZBrush created a UV and exported the object to a folder
2. I modified the tire into high res (with treads) and exported the object to the folder
3. I brought both tires into designer and baked the color and normal maps of the high res tire
4. I apply the color map and normal map to the low res tire in designer and it now looks like my high res tire
5. So I export the color and normal maps as bit maps
6. I use ShaderMap to convert the bitmap to a Normal map
7. I import the low res tire object into LW and apply the Normal map and I see parts of the tread, but I also see white squares and the tread seems disjointed and out of place.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks