PDA

View Full Version : Edge Loop & Edge Slice

Columbo24
12-15-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm doing a subD tutorial by Chilton Webb. He is explaining how to get harder edges in subD using an edge loop and then an edge slice. I cannot find these tools so I'm not sure what he's talking about. What is an edge loop and an edge slice? Also I've tried using the slice tool and it's not doing anything unlike the knife and the bandsaw. How do I use the slice tool?
Thanks.
Bill

caustics
12-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Ypu should have a look on the Detail Tab: Edges.

Edit Edges (right click to create a new edge), Split Ring, Border Slice. They are well explained in the user manual. It's worth to have a look into it.

Also Multishift, Smooth Shift, Chamfer and Extender Plus (you can extend edges while working in other commands like move and scale) may be of interest.

Regards.

ConjureBunny
12-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Hi Columbo24,

I don't remember exactly which ones I was using in that video, but the ones I'd use now are

Select Loop

...and then...

Connect

Despite that Connect doesn't sound like it would do what you want it to do, it should do the trick here. And feel free to ask if you have any other questions!

-Chilton

Kryslin
12-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Also important to use with Select Loop and Connect... Band Glue.

If you're not looking for precise spacing, Selecting a loop of polygons, pressing connect 3-4 times, and band gluing the center makes for some easy loops to hold edges.

squarewulf
12-17-2014, 02:45 PM
You could select the edge at the top of your hole, select loop, then hit Ctrl B and bevel it. that will give you a harder corner.

Spinland
12-17-2014, 03:24 PM
If you're not looking for precise spacing, Selecting a loop of polygons, pressing connect 3-4 times, and band gluing the center makes for some easy loops to hold edges.

Wow, I never thought of using connect/bandglue like that! Wow, what a time saver over futzing with band saw pro when I just need some quick loops. Thanks for that tip!

Kryslin
12-17-2014, 11:06 PM
S' funny, because that was a tip I picked up from Mr. Webb's training. For quick loops, Select Loop, Connect (x3-4), and Band Glue is very quick. You can use other tools to move the loops to where you need them, if you need them -precisely- someplace.

ConjureBunny
12-18-2014, 12:57 AM
This thread is awesome, by the way.

I made that video because I can't remember squat sometimes, and I thought if I made a video for myself I could just refer back to specific parts as needed. I swear I don't walk around just remembering all this stuff!

So I took all of my crappy handwritten notes and sat down and ran through every single trick I'd learned over the last 7 or so years. I think it all took about two weeks to get right, because I was using a really low end movie editor and I kept having to redo things.

I'm really glad to see that these videos have been helpful to other people. I used to spend so much time watching training videos before any of it would 'stick' in my head. I hope it's not that bad for you guys :D

Anyway, thanks everyone!
-Chilton

Danner
12-19-2014, 02:52 AM
Yet another way to harden a subpatch edge is to is to select the loop of edges and use chamfer with a small amount.
And subpatch weight is also useful, and it doesn't generate any extra geometry.

Kuzey
12-19-2014, 03:36 AM
*Cough* Split Ring & then Edge Bevel to control distance of the loops *Cough*

jeric_synergy
02-04-2017, 11:30 AM
dagnabit....

I know there's a way to add an Edge Loop to a selected poly loop AND move the new loop back and forth interactively with the mouse before committing, but damned if I can remember it. (No dialogs.)

That Alzheimers thing is less of a joke every day. :\

I'll probably find it now it a few minutes....

EDIT: Yup, I was thinking of EDIT EDGES. OTOH, when I tried it on a default sphere, it seemed to have trouble w/horizontal loops. Anyway, there it is.

prometheus
02-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Yep...edit edges, click on that button..then hover over the edges with the mouse, it will higlight the loop that you hover over, left mouse button click and drag to edit move, right click mouse button to add a new edge loop Perpendicular to the highlighted loop you hover over, hold shift in and left mouse click to remove any edgeloop highlighted.