PDA

View Full Version : File- save query

Aww167
12-15-2014, 12:03 AM
When saving an object in modeller - file>save as>...., I frequently get the message 'cannot open....(object name that I'm trying to save), and am unable to save. This happens when I've changed an existing model in some way and wish to save it under a new name.
Is this a bug or is there something else I'm failing to understand? I've tried saving to a different directory but the problem persists.
Thanks for reading.

madno
12-15-2014, 05:21 AM
I am not sure if this helps, but I have that sometimes when I try to save a render as image file.
LW offers a filename in the format

name*.*
or
name.*

It does not offer
e.g.
name.tif
or
name.exr
according to the format I had selected.

In that case I get same message like you. The solution for me is to delete the extension.
So if LW offers
name*.*
I delete the *.* part keeping only the name.
Then saving works and LW automatically uses the right extension.

Aww167
12-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Thanks for replying madno. I will try your suggestion next time I encounter the problem. The thing that puzzled me most was why I would get a message about being able to open a file, when I'm trying to save. 'cannot open...' seems inappropriate, hence my thinking it's some kind of anomaly. The situation is fairly irregular which also adds to my confusion as it makes it harder to comprehend the exact issue.
Thanks again for your answer.

spherical
12-16-2014, 09:54 PM
"Cannot Open" in programming terms means that it cannot open the file for writing. IOW, even if the file is new, it is an initiation process that opens the file in order to write, writes to the file and then closes the file on disk. While the file is "open" it is locked and no other processes can write to it.

Aww167
12-17-2014, 02:16 PM
"Cannot Open" in programming terms means that it cannot open the file for writing. IOW, even if the file is new, it is an initiation process that opens the file in order to write, writes to the file and then closes the file on disk. While the file is "open" it is locked and no other processes can write to it.

Thanks for that, spherical. I was thinking along the same lines myself when I saw the message. So in essence, because the file is already open this initiation process of opening a file to write to it cannot occur again - that makes sense, but what doesn't make sense to me is why the program would operate this way - AFAICS, you can't save any file unless it's open already, so needing to initiate the opening part in order to write to the file in a 'save' scenario is completely unnecessary, wouldn't you say?? All that's required is to do the writing to the file and then close it, surely?. That's how it seems to work in every other program I use. Is this a windows issue I wonder? I just can't figure why a 'save as' command would need to incorporate such a seemingly pointless sequence of operations when it doesn't need to.

spherical
12-17-2014, 07:32 PM
This is a long-standing convention; nothing to do with LightWave. It's just how the file system works.