PDA

View Full Version : Tired of entering the same number THREE TIMES? Me too.

jeric_synergy
12-14-2014, 01:45 AM
There's LOTS of times when I am seemingly forced to type the SAME NUMBER into various LW and LWM dialogs. Maybe I'm missing out on some slick shortcut, but over and over I must type the same 3 numbers.

(I realize the MMB will drag out equal measures, but this is a more pervasive issue than just mesh creation.)

I'd REALLY appreciate a shortcut that would allow me to enter the first number in any triplet dialog, be it xyz, hpb, sss, RGB, or ANYTHING, and have that number duplicated into the other two related fields.

Howzabout it, LW3dg?

(Of course, as I type this I think "I bet I could cajole AHK into doing this", but really, it should be a native feature.)

erikals
12-14-2014, 07:28 AM
yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU_uUIF943w

jeric_synergy
12-14-2014, 08:25 AM
indeed, but I'd prefer a hotkey for that LINK button, because keys are faster than mice.

faulknermano
12-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Maya has a multi-field selection/modification ability. You can shift/control select fields in the same way you do in listboxes, then input your value, and the selected fields will update with those values, so it's just as convenient, but you're able to pick and choose the fields you want to mass modify.

Sensei
12-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Maya has a multi-field selection/modification ability. You can shift/control select fields in the same way you do in listboxes, then input your value, and the selected fields will update with those values, so it's just as convenient, but you're able to pick and choose the fields you want to mass modify.

Very clever. But that requires modifications to GUI engine. I am not sure whether Qt would allow such.

jeric_synergy
12-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Well fellows, here's the workflow I'd like to experience:

for any triplet value,
the user enters the first value,
keys a hotkey (combo),
the value is entered AND
and all 3 values are made equal to the first.

This of course is NOT linking, which is a whole different thing, also valuable. The user difference is when the user comes BACK to adjust things, s/he does not have to UNlink the values.

Like I said, I suspect AHK could do this TODAY, although it might be a bit dumb in that the psuedocode would be "copy the field, now enter it into the next two fields", but as long as the user followed the rules it would be OK-- OK, not great.

prometheus
12-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Yes..Jeric, I have ranted about that too for years..I hate to work with texture tweaking in hypervoxels for instance..which constantly is under my tweaking attack in scale settings, or texturing in general, so it is frustrating to enter..

x-150
y-150
z-150

doing such tweaks are repeatly done perhaps 20-50 times for a simple voxel tweak session in one scene, and you are forced to do this 3 times for one scaling tweak, which means you could end up in 50x3 times of entering the same value, except for the explanation below, I think it is ridiculous that the ligthwave team havenīt done anything to make this better.

As I understand it..it must be some major UI issue that prevents the lw group to implement a shortcut constrain like ctrl and drag the sliders, or a lock icon like vue has, In houdini you can shortcut drag and select values for all fields equally.
the modeler tool absolut size has a lock button and you only have to enter one value, and the rest will follow, a shortcut might be the best though.

I hope they are working on some of that, in the new 2015 we now got a constrain button for the camera resolution..and that is only two values, but hey ..itīs a start.

erikals
12-16-2014, 10:21 AM
i might look into doing it in autohotkey in the future, but too little LightWave these days

hitting Shift+Enter could indeed be a good idea to copy the first value to the two next ones

jeric_synergy
12-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Works for me, since we can limit it to any specific application.

erikals
12-16-2014, 12:09 PM
as for AHK maybe try >

+enter::
Send, ^a
Sleep, 50
Send, ^c
Sleep, 50
Send, {Tab}
Send, ^v
Sleep, 50
Send, {Tab}
Send, ^v
Sleep, 50
Send, {Enter}

jeric_synergy
12-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Did you get that working? I wasn't able to get WheelLeft/WheelRight working here, seems it's fraught w/issues because of LogiTech's mouse s/w.

erikals
12-17-2014, 04:38 AM
no, didn't have time to test, but think it should have worked. guess i need to make a test run later...

Tranimatronic
12-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Very clever. But that requires modifications to GUI engine. I am not sure whether Qt would allow such.

QWidget::customContextMenuRequested()
You could pretty easily tie three widgets together with a right click. You are going to know what widget was clicked with sender() and then tie the values of Y and Z with the new value.
Depending on how well the UI code is organised, could take as little as an hour

Sensei
12-17-2014, 03:41 PM
QWidget::customContextMenuRequested()
You could pretty easily tie three widgets together with a right click. You are going to know what widget was clicked with sender() and then tie the values of Y and Z with the new value.
Depending on how well the UI code is organised, could take as little as an hour

If it's working as I think it does, it's called when user clicked right mouse button on some control.
But we need something that will be called when user clicked left mouse button outside of any controls, then mouse is dragged (so we need stream of mouse move events), and mouse button released somewhere else.
And fields in area between these two are "highlighted".
All classes must be specially modified to include "highlighting" feature.

Text field control has to have normal context-menu for Cut,Copy,Paste menu-items though.

Equivalent version of this signal/event in .NET Framework I am using to analyze what context-menu items have to be disabled/enabled.

jeric_synergy
12-17-2014, 04:50 PM
I'd MUCH rather it had zero to do with the mouse: you've just entered some keypresses anyway, keep the users' hands on the keyboard.

Mouse usage is so slow compared to the keyboard, it should be avoided assiduously.

Tranimatronic
12-17-2014, 06:20 PM
....mmmm ok, how about:
QTextEdit::keyPressEvent ( AltKey) -> connect text edit's change slot to the other two text edits in the group
upon release, disconnect the links.

This way it would ONLY kick in if the textEdit has focus AND the alt key is pressed.
Not sure exactly how you would connect sliders, but I'm sure there is a way

Alternatively you could add a link toolbutton that connects the change slot to the other two text edits (or sliders)

Unless I have completely missed something, (which could easily be the case) this isnt all that hard to do