PDA

View Full Version : OD Toolset - more info please!

raw-m
12-12-2014, 04:06 PM
This looks pretty amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=z4RGRWrmdFY

Anyone know more, price/release date (please say it's Mac compatible!)...? Looks like some VERY useful tools in there!

Ryan Roye
12-12-2014, 04:38 PM
This looks pretty amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=z4RGRWrmdFY

Anyone know more, price/release date (please say it's Mac compatible!)...? Looks like some VERY useful tools in there!

Availability will be fourthcoming, we're working with Mr. Oliver at Origami Digital to get stuff sorted out and ready for sale. I'm particularly excited about the UV tools as they are a huge boost to the Octane rendering workflow.

oliverhotz
12-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah, it should work just fine on OSX, nothing platform specific in there. Most of them will work with 11.x, but a lot of the "placement" plugins will work magnitudes faster in LW 2015 than 11.x.

Everything should be ready for purchase by this weekend.

JamesCurtis
12-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Any idea what kind of price we're looking at for these? US Dollars please.

calilifestyle
12-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Isn't this the same as Advanced Placement. I guess who ever makes to the market first could win. Well with exception that this product comes from Origami.

jwiede
12-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Availability will be fourthcoming, we're working with Mr. Oliver at Origami Digital to get stuff sorted out and ready for sale. I'm particularly excited about the UV tools as they are a huge boost to the Octane rendering workflow.

Will the license scheme require internet activation at each launch, as JimmyRigLite did? For that matter, any discount for existing JimmyRig(Lite) owners?

oliverhotz
12-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Jwiede: no it wont, but, I do reserve the right to NOT sell to certain people... anyways.. going off course :)

Cali: Advanced Placement has different areas and use cases... Sure, some of them overlap, but I see both as extremely valuable. No sense in competing in the lw market, its too small as it is.. Hurley's stuff is awesome.

oliverhotz
12-12-2014, 09:07 PM
I'll be releasing more of these videos this weekend.

https://vimeo.com/channels/850417

- - - Updated - - -

James: regarding price point.. it'll be between 40 and 50 US$ for the toolset.

spherical
12-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Well, that looks cool. Video went so fast, I had to watch it a couple of times and/or back up to see what was being selected and the result thereof. If it isn't too expensive (edit: just saw the pricepoint), I'm in.

JohnMarchant
12-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Im in as well Oliver.

oliverhotz
12-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Spherical: I am making a new vid for you (as soon as the lakers game is finished) to show Object Placer better. But please do keep in mind, that even though its cool, its not the only tool in the suite :)

oliverhotz
12-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Ok.. The video about object placer has been uploaded to the vimeo channel.

raw-m
12-13-2014, 03:58 AM
Thanks oliverhotz - nice videos, a lot to look forward to there (the car rig sounds intriguing!). Couldn't find the price, can someone point me to the link?

OK, got it on Liberty3d: http://www.liberty3d.com/store/liberty3d-tools/

Brilliant!

wesleycorgi
12-13-2014, 06:42 AM
I'll be releasing more of these videos this weekend.

https://vimeo.com/channels/850417

- - - Updated - - -

James: regarding price point.. it'll be between 40 and 50 US$ for the toolset.

Wow, where the heck did these tools come from. This is cool! Also, the pricing is great. I almost forgive OD for JimmyRig (almost :) - I kid because, I love).

wesleycorgi
12-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Please tell me that it works with 11.x. I won't be upgrading to 2015 for awhile but I'd probably pick this up as soon as available.

jburford
12-13-2014, 09:13 AM
That looks really sweet, and would be a great addition to any 3D Package!

Megalodon2.0
12-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Please tell me that it works with 11.x. I won't be upgrading to 2015 for awhile but I'd probably pick this up as soon as available.

The short answer apparently is yes - see post #3 above.

oliverhotz
12-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi Guys.. Please be advised, the only place (for now) where you can purchase these tools is via the Origami Digital Site. (Not Liberty3D for now)

Link will be (I just made it live):

http://origamidigital.com/newtypo/index.php/software.html

Regarding interoperability with 11.x. Yes, it should work although the "placer" tools will be very slow in 11.x and fast as lightning in 2015. If you want to hold off because you need them for 11.x, then give me a few days, and I will compile a chart for you.

When you purchase, please be patient. Licenses might take from a few minutes to a few hours to be issued.

And please feel free to ask any questions.

Andy Webb
12-14-2014, 08:46 AM
I have not upgraded to LW2015 yet but at some stage I plan to do so, will my LW11.x product key work with LW2015 when I finally upgrade or will I need a new key?

Thanks

oliverhotz
12-14-2014, 08:50 AM
For the Licensing of OD ToolSet, whether you have 2015 or 11.x it makes no difference.. as long as 2015 is an upgrade, you maintain the same product lock/dongle ID, just your lw license itself will change.

willin
12-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Are these tools documented or are you just throwing them out there without any documentation or explanation on how they work. I see that you have a few videos but there are a heck of a lot more plugins than there are videos. Can you please point me in the direction of any documentation on this plugins so i can at least get an idea on how they operate and what they do before i buy.

oliverhotz
12-17-2014, 02:59 PM
I am making a few more vids for the complex tools (like trailermover and vehicle rigger), but a lot of them are also very self explanatory and are described on the www site.

Lewis
12-18-2014, 01:49 AM
Awesome work Oliver, SVSPro is so cool and Lights to instances cloner is huge timesaver in my projects with hundreds or thausands of lights ;).

vector
12-18-2014, 02:20 AM
Interesting price :)

oliverhotz
12-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Hi Guys, I added some more Videos on the Vimeo Channel for some of the other tools.. more to follow.

spherical
12-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Just watched them all. Well done! Impressed and bought in. Looking forward to using these enhancements.

willin
12-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Hi Guys, I added some more Videos on the Vimeo Channel for some of the other tools.. more to follow.

How you get that tractor trailer hitch to work. You show an animation of it working but no explanation on how you set it up.

oliverhotz
12-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Hi Willin, its actually super simple... the GUI asks for a hinge point (which would be where the trailer connects with the vehicle), and the trailer object. Once you set those two in the GUI, you are good to go.

willin
12-30-2014, 07:32 AM
Hi Willin, its actually super simple... the GUI asks for a hinge point (which would be where the trailer connects with the vehicle), and the trailer object. Once you set those two in the GUI, you are good to go.

You have to understand that we didn't write this plugins, you did, so ask yourself, if i didn't write this plugin and it wasn't included in the set up menu that is included and there is no mention of what type of plugin this is or its location then, How would i find it? or are we paying you money for the privilege of going on a plugin find and guess how to use. I think that the reason for paying for plugins is to make our life easier, so please make an effort to document this plugins.

oliverhotz
12-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Hi Willin, which plugins are you talking about specifically that you cant find ? The plugins that are NOT in the setup menu, are clearly labeled where they can be found in the installation instructions.

oliverhotz
12-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Hi Everyone.

I have added a new tool to the set that will be pushed out to all registered users either tonight or tomorrow morning. I've called it Environment Image Tracker and you can see what it does on the vimeo Channel. https://vimeo.com/channels/850417

Along with that tool, 2 more are coming. One is a modeler, tool that simply allows you to subdivide 2 pnt polygons and a second one that's useful if you do a lot of dynamics, simply saving the scene at frame 0 (no matter which frame you were on when you saved), so that upon reload of the scene, you don't get the holdup of having to calculate the dynamics before layout responds again after the load.

Also, the promotional 25% Holiday Discount will end on when 2015 starts on January 1st at 00:00 PST.

All the best to everyone in the New Year !

Ryan Roye
12-30-2014, 12:24 PM
simply saving the scene at frame 0 (no matter which frame you were on when you saved), so that upon reload of the scene, you don't get the holdup of having to calculate the dynamics before layout responds again after the load.

This will be very useful to Syflex users too but for a different reason: on a freshly loaded scene, Syflex appears to process "constraints" (pins/nails) on the frame at which the scene file was saved, meaning saving at a later frame can cause issues when loading. By having a function that saves at frame 0, issues regarding initial placement of dynamics can be avoided. ... so, not just a bullet thing ;)

oliverhotz
12-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Thats a good point Ryan... Didn't think of that. Those two tools will be pushed out later tonight/tomorrow morning.

oliverhotz
01-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Hi Guys,

A few updates have been pushed out. A new tool was added: OD Instances to PointObjects as well as some other changes to existing tools. There's a new video on the Channel explaining the new tool: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417

Best,

Oliver

ernpchan
01-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Hi Guys,

A few updates have been pushed out. A new tool was added: OD Instances to PointObjects as well as some other changes to existing tools. There's a new video on the Channel explaining the new tool: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417

Best,

Oliver

That is very cool!

oliverhotz
05-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Hi Guys, I have just pushed out some more updates to the OD Toolset.

1) Light Link Lister (Layout): Allows you to quickly see all Exclusions for all lights in one overview
2) Curve Subdivide (Modeler): Allows you to subdivide curves to even lengths. Multiple curves can be resampled at once.
3) Rotate Normals (Modeler): Lightwave does not respect vertex normal maps during rotations. If you ever needed to
rotate an object that had vertex normals, it would mess up the normals. This tool fixes it. Should be a huge help
for anyone having to deal with this problem before, dealing with CAD data or other data from other packages.
4) bug fixes for a lot of the other tools
I'll make some videos for the new tools, but currently working on a Vertex Normal Map/Smoothing Groups creator.

This brings the total now to 50 tools.

Enjoy and Happy Lightwaving,

Oliver

Lewis
05-28-2015, 11:08 PM
3) Rotate Normals (Modeler): Lightwave does not respect vertex normal maps during rotations. If you ever needed to
rotate an object that had vertex normals, it would mess up the normals. This tool fixes it. Should be a huge help
for anyone having to deal with this problem before, dealing with CAD data or other data from other packages.

Just this one is massive help to load/use models from Evermotion and similar vendors, especially CAD data since most other apps don't have Axis set like in LW (and most other model creators don't really care much about how they rotate meshes and LW likes them in +Z axis) so rotations are mostly needed and then the normals are gone - this one FIXes it nicely.

Thanks for great work.

JohnMarchant
05-29-2015, 12:54 AM
Thanks very much Oliver, the tools keep getting bigger and better. That's 3 updates in as many days.

Andy Webb
05-29-2015, 04:04 AM
Hi Oliver, great update. Also seems to have solved a bug I was getting but hadn't had the chance to contact you about it.

Cheers :thumbsup::D

oliverhotz
06-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Hi Guys, just added another tool to the toolset called Project Switcher.

I also added a video, so you can see what it does. Should be a great workflow helper for a lot of people.

https://vimeo.com/129605219

Enjoy,

Oliver

raw-m
06-03-2015, 01:57 AM
Hi Guys, just added another tool to the toolset called Project Switcher.

I also added a video, so you can see what it does. Should be a great workflow helper for a lot of people.

https://vimeo.com/129605219

Brilliant! Thank you :D

jwiede
06-03-2015, 04:01 AM
New customer here, just wanted to make a quick comment about how much I appreciate the toolkit!

I'm still digging through them, but already see how most of the ones I've looked at will save me substantial time. I definitely agree with Lewis, the "Rotate Normals" tool solves a limitation that's been a serious pain for me on multiple occasions, that one's a particular lifesaver -- previously I had to round-trip to another 3D package just to rotate externally-provided, vertex-normal-equipped content, in order to avoid breaking the normals. None of the individual tools feel particularly "huge" on their own (well, a few have some heft), but as they each solve significant LW workflow hitches, the overall efficiency benefit is quite substantial.

I highly recommend anyone with LW consider purchasing this toolkit, and thank Oliver for all his hard work producing and extending it!

jeric_synergy
06-03-2015, 11:34 AM
(Wish I needed to know what the "Rotate Normals" fixes....)

So, did this package never make it over to Liberty3D? I was just poking around there and did not see it. :(

oliverhotz
06-03-2015, 11:42 AM
New customer here, just wanted to make a quick comment about how much I appreciate the toolkit!

I'm still digging through them, but already see how most of the ones I've looked at will save me substantial time. I definitely agree with Lewis, the "Rotate Normals" tool solves a limitation that's been a serious pain for me on multiple occasions, that one's a particular lifesaver -- previously I had to round-trip to another 3D package just to rotate externally-provided, vertex-normal-equipped content, in order to avoid breaking the normals. None of the individual tools feel particularly "huge" on their own (well, a few have some heft), but as they each solve significant LW workflow hitches, the overall efficiency benefit is quite substantial.

I highly recommend anyone with LW consider purchasing this toolkit, and thank Oliver for all his hard work producing and extending it!

You can find the package here: http://goo.gl/m47xip

In regard to rotating normals. Call yourself lucky and fortunate that you haven't run into it :).. We'll have to make a vid for it to explain.

jwiede
06-04-2015, 07:52 AM
You can find the package here: http://goo.gl/m47xip

In regard to rotating normals. Call yourself lucky and fortunate that you haven't run into it :).. We'll have to make a vid for it to explain.

Oliver, did you mean to quote Jeric's post? You seem to be responding to Jeric.

oliverhotz
06-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Oliver, did you mean to quote Jeric's post?

yeah.. I did.. not sure how the heck that happend.. I can't seem to change it... but yeah.. thats in response to Jeric's Post. Sorry about that.

jwiede
06-04-2015, 08:02 AM
One small feature request that I'd find useful in Project Switcher (if not already in there, I don't think it is), is a button that launches an Explorer/Finder window showing the selected Project dir (not necessarily same as the "current" content dir). If you know you're going to need to move a bunch of content around, or clean up unwanted files, it'd be useful to quickly open such from within LW.

oliverhotz
06-04-2015, 08:09 AM
could you do me a favor and log it here ?

h t t p : / / o r i g a m i d i g i t a l . c o m / o d t o o l s i d e a s / (no spaces)

another request specifically to 'project switcher' was to specify "source files" that get copied into a newly created project)

jeric_synergy
06-04-2015, 08:14 AM
One small feature request that I'd find useful in Project Switcher (if not already in there, I don't think it is), is a button that launches an Explorer/Finder window showing the selected Project dir (not necessarily same as the "current" content dir). If you know you're going to need to move a bunch of content around, or clean up unwanted files, it'd be useful to quickly open such from within LW.
That kind of feature would save a LOT of aggravating navigation. :thumbsup:

oliverhotz
06-04-2015, 08:46 AM

added...

jwiede
06-04-2015, 08:54 AM
could you do me a favor and log it here ?

h t t p : / / o r i g a m i d i g i t a l . c o m / o d t o o l s i d e a s / (no spaces)

another request specifically to 'project switcher' was to specify "source files" that get copied into a newly created project)

Will do, and yeah, the "source files" thing would also be quite useful, IMO. Then again, I always thought the whole content directory system always needed a better "new project" templating system anyway, so I have a bunch more suggestions there. (shrug) Should I file those as well?

- - - Updated - - -

added...

Much appreciated, thanks! Still want me to add it at your site?

oliverhotz
06-04-2015, 09:11 AM
you dont need to add the explore directory bit anymore... but anything else you'd like, feel free to always add it to that list. anyone really.

please, no requests for "write new particle system" or stuff like that.. as that won't happen :)

oliverhotz
06-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Hi Guys,

I have added a new tool to the set. Its a layout tool called 2pt Poly Instance fit. Best explanation I can give is via a video:

https://vimeo.com/channels/850417/131447720

Enjoy.

calilifestyle
06-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Very sweet addition i have to say.

Lewis
06-22-2015, 12:34 PM
great work man, Suspended Bridge tool PRO v6 :)

spherical
06-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Nice! One ? Is there a way to not have the instances of the lightposts align with the polychain, except to be attached along its curve? IOW, they would always be vertical, not perpendicular to the road surface as it curves downward.

oliverhotz
06-22-2015, 03:35 PM
I could add that as an option... however.. THAT particular thing, you could do with the native instancer.

spherical
06-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Yeah, but your plugin is cooler! :D

It seems that working in one interface would be more efficient, and perhaps less prone to Borking, as opposed to having two instancing operations going on with the same assets. That, and if the road in this case is instanced, will the native instancing play nice with (if it recognizes it at all) and allow instancing upon an instanced surface upon a polyline.

CaptainMarlowe
06-22-2015, 11:32 PM
Very nice addition. I'll definitely have to buy the toolset, lots of interesting tools.

oliverhotz
06-23-2015, 05:00 PM
Hi guys, just about to push out another change to the 2pt Poly Instance Fit plugin.

you can see the update video here:

https://vimeo.com/channels/850417/131601056

oliverhotz
07-14-2015, 09:32 PM
HI Guys.. A new tool was added. Straighten UV. This allows for easy straightening of UV's in Modeler. Please take a look at on the Vimeo Channel for a more thorough description.

https://vimeo.com/channels/850417/133519840

Enjoy,

Oliver

Andy Webb
07-15-2015, 03:41 AM
I've wanted this for some time.

Good one :thumbsup:

oliverhotz
08-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Hi Guys,

Another couple tools have been added to the collection (will be pushed out tomorrow). An absolute size tool for Layout and a Surface Variation Tool. You can find the description here:

https://vimeo.com/channels/850417/135746910

and here:

https://vimeo.com/channels/850417/135747458

Also, until the end of August, the price of the tool remains as is, however as of September 1st, the price is going to go up to 59.95. This of course has no impact to existing users.

Best,

Oliver

raw-m
08-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Nice additions, Oliver!

Just a thought for future utilities you might like to develop, a suite of alignment and distribution tools (ie, specify grids - number of rows columns and offsets, radial arrays...) for Layout would be great! The native ones leave a lot to be desired.

Also, something that easily could add some randomness to pos/rot/scale to selected items at any given frame would be very handy.

oliverhotz
08-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion mark.

not doing exactly what you describe, a sneak peak of this tool might go a long way.

here's a couple sneaks of whats coming very soon..

Shelf Generator:

https://vimeo.com/channels/850417/135754912

File Instancer:

https://vimeo.com/channels/850417/135754994

Best,

Oliver

raw-m
08-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Spooky! That'll do nicely :D

tonyrizo2003
08-11-2015, 01:46 PM
really nice tool!! thanks :)

Philipp
08-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Hi Oliver,

I recently bought your tools. Very nice and helpful.

Hmmm, if I may ask ... I'm in a desperate need of a script that loads an object into the next free layer and in the same time names the layer like the file (without the .lwo ending of course). Best of course would be if I could select a bunch of files and they are treated as mentioned. That would be soooo cool. :)

Do you think that could be useful not only for me? :)

Thanks
Philipp

Edit: So sorry about this. This script already exists and works just like I wanted. It's called Object Loader (http://ernestpchan.com/newtek-lightwave-scripts). My bad, when I searched I didn't find any results, as I simply went through the plugins I found it directly. Sorry again.

JohnMarchant
08-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Hi Oliver,

Actually i came up with a need for a script which will assign surfaces based on layers. Not sure if one exists. I load an OBJ file into LW and it has a few layers but only 1 default surface. Is would like the surface editor to automatically assign a surface name based on the layer name.

Looking forward to seeing your updates, these tools go from strength to strength. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Regards John

Philipp
08-14-2015, 01:27 AM
Hi Oliver,

Actually i came up with a need for a script which will assign surfaces based on layers. Not sure if one exists. I load an OBJ file into LW and it has a few layers but only 1 default surface. Is would like the surface editor to automatically assign a surface name based on the layer name.

Looking forward to seeing your updates, these tools go from strength to strength. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Regards John

Actually that would really be helpful :) Not that I have loaded all parts in different layers, I must go through each one and give a surface with the appropriate layer name, tedious if can't find a plugin for this task.

So +1 for this suggestion :)

Best regards
Philipp

JohnMarchant
08-14-2015, 02:31 AM
I tend to get OBJ conversions and mostly in SAP and many times the file has only the default surface but the file is on many layers, so would be nice if these layer names became the default surfaces so i can then collapse the layers and work with separating the model into the layers i want, using the select surface option.

oliverhotz
08-17-2015, 08:26 PM
what you are asking for is exactly why i wrote the create surfacefromlayr plugin that you'll find in the collection under the layers entry.

Philipp
08-18-2015, 09:52 AM
what you are asking for is exactly why i wrote the create surfacefromlayr plugin that you'll find in the collection under the layers entry.

Sorry, yes indeed, it works fine. I found it by coincidence and forgot to mention it here. Should better read the documentation. ;)
And thanks for the quick bug-fixing!

JohnMarchant
08-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks Oliver, im having some trouble with it.

I have 600 layers all with names, but i have them all selected i run the plugin but it does not give me the names in the surfaces panel. Does it matter if some of the layers are empty. Is there a limit on how many it will do.

oliverhotz
08-19-2015, 04:45 PM
nope.. no limit.. can you send it to me privately (email).. and i'll debug ?

oliverhotz
09-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Hi Guys,

Just posted another update with some added modeler tools (suggested by some people on the forum):

1) CutLayerAndName: Cuts a selected layer, and clears the layername
2) CopyLayerAndName: puts the layer and its name in the copy buffer
3) PasteLayerAndName: pastes the buffer into the selected layer, and names the layer as the same name as it was copied from.

Enjoy.

allabulle
09-06-2015, 05:57 AM
How long does it usually take to receive the license after the purchase?

(I just bought mine a couple hours ago and I now realized it's early morning in California and Sunday. Talk about good timing! :D )

oliverhotz
09-06-2015, 09:26 AM
How long does it usually take to receive the license after the purchase?

(I just bought mine a couple hours ago and I now realized it's early morning in California and Sunday. Talk about good timing! :D )

I just send you the license. should be good.

allabulle
09-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks! Got it!

raw-m
09-11-2015, 05:26 AM
Hi Oliver, can I ask for a feature request for Live Null Motion?

Is it possible to set it up so I don't have to select geometry? When I'm setting up Spline Control for airborne paths, for example, it would be great to click on a few points in 3d space and generate a Spline that way.

oliverhotz
09-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Hi Oliver, can I ask for a feature request for Live Null Motion?

Is it possible to set it up so I don't have to select geometry? When I'm setting up Spline Control for airborne paths, for example, it would be great to click on a few points in 3d space and generate a Spline that way.

yes.. its possible, however, you wouldnt really be able to place them in 3d space, but rather on y=0 (x and z would be defined by where you click, but it would put them on y=0, as i have nothing to trace against.

raw-m
09-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Thanks Oliver, I would be happy with that as they always need tweaking when setup anyway. This tool is super efficient for setting up spline control in a few clicks :D

oliverhotz
09-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Hi Guys,

Another update. Two new Layout tools have been pushed out.

ConvMotion2SplineMotion: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417/140806267

SelectItem: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417/140806535

allabulle
09-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks Oliver!
Nice additions to an already magnificent set of plug-ins.

jeric_synergy
09-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Very cool! Filling in those missing conversions (on the principle that all conversions should be two-way streets)!!! NICE.

raw-m
09-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Lovely stuff, thanks Oliver! I've been using RHs toolbox for motion to spline, it's good but nice to have a dedicated option that's quicker to enable.

Marander
09-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Wow thanks Oliver, these two recent functions are great. No more excuses to not use SplineMotion anymore...

Marander
10-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Hi Guys,

I have added a new tool to the set. Its a layout tool called 2pt Poly Instance fit. Best explanation I can give is via a video:

https://vimeo.com/channels/850417/131447720

Enjoy.

Hi

Sorry for the Noob question but can anybody tell me how to create a 2pt poly sphere? (or other 2pt poly shapes out of primitives / objects)

Thanks,

Marander

Danner
10-15-2015, 02:25 PM
There are probably a few ways. First one that comes to mind: Do a very very small bevel to every polygon and then use Merge Points using fixed distance. Now in the statistics pannel select all polygons that ar not 2point and delete them. Lastly do a Unify polys to get rid of duplicates.

jeric_synergy
10-15-2015, 05:12 PM
I usually use StrandMaker, one-click solution: one mis-feature is that it very stealthily does its work on the NEXT empty Layer, which is easy to miss.

---Would it have killed them to put something in the Status Line? :devil:

Marander
10-15-2015, 06:01 PM
There are probably a few ways. First one that comes to mind: Do a very very small bevel to every polygon and then use Merge Points using fixed distance. Now in the statistics pannel select all polygons that ar not 2point and delete them. Lastly do a Unify polys to get rid of duplicates.

Thanks Danner, interesting approach!

- - - Updated - - -

I usually use StrandMaker, one-click solution: one mis-feature is that it very stealthily does its work on the NEXT empty Layer, which is easy to miss.

---Would it have killed them to put something in the Status Line? :devil:

Thanks Jeric, this is exactly what I was looking for!

LOL, yes the UI feedback could be better!

jeric_synergy
10-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Thanks Jeric, this is exactly what I was looking for!

LOL, yes the UI feedback could be better!

If you agree, please make a Feature Request on your account page (same as bug report, but check the FR box).

I just want a nice, highlighted notice in the status line that disappears at the next click. I think that's reasonable.

oliverhotz
11-15-2015, 08:47 AM
Hi Guys, I am just pushing out another update.

Here's the news: (videos have also been added to the channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417

1) Four New Tools added for Layout: (Layout Branch has been updated)

- ShowSpeed : Shows the speed of an item in the viewport
- InvokeLayoutCommand: Lets you easily apply Layout Commands to individual or multiple objects
- InsertBetween: Lets you positionally insert an item between two selected items.
- Copy/Paste: Allows you to copy/paste objects between instances of Layout or a mix of Layout and Modeler

2) 3 New Tools added for Modeler

- RandomizeSurfaceColors: Simply randomizes the base color of each surface in the object
- Create Surface from Layers: Creates surfaces from layer assignments and colors them randomly (base color only)
- Copy/Paste: Allows you to copy/paste objects or selections between multiple instances of Modeler or Modeler/Layout

allabulle
11-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Nice! Thanks, Oliver.

Marander
11-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Wow nice one again Oliver. From the plugin titles I was not so impressed first but after seeing the videos I'm amazed what great workflow enhancements you invented again!
Well done & thanks!

spherical
11-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Hi Oliver,

Unclear in the updates being pushed since we purchased a license. Is there a location where updated versions are available for download? I only have the specific link for 4 versions; the most recent being 5/14/2015. Thanks, and great tools, BTW!

Marander
11-16-2015, 12:00 AM
Spherical, I always get an email with a personalized link to download. There were newer version already. Did you check your spam folder?

allabulle
11-16-2015, 02:30 AM
Same here, I received an e-mail with a download link.

Lewis
11-16-2015, 03:18 AM
yes i get download links with each new update. Works great, Thanks for copy/paste stuff Oliver. It's gonna be time saver :).

oliverhotz
11-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Hi Oliver,

Unclear in the updates being pushed since we purchased a license. Is there a location where updated versions are available for download? I only have the specific link for 4 versions; the most recent being 5/14/2015. Thanks, and great tools, BTW!

as others have stated, you should have gotten an email with a personalized download link. if you havent, please email me privately, and definitely check spam..

OFF
12-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Interesting ideas:
http://automodeller.com/

JohnMarchant
12-09-2015, 02:18 AM
Interesting ideas:
http://automodeller.com/

Very nice little time savers. I also like some of the time savers that C4D has got, like infinite ocean, infinite mountain and others. Whilst all of this is possible in LW it just save time and gives you a basic setup to improve.

We used to have cobbleclone which was great at what it did, not tried it with 2015.3 yet. Just little time savers.

oliverhotz
03-10-2016, 08:58 AM
Hi Guys,

I have just released another update.

The following has changed:

1) Three New Tools added for Layout: (Layout Branch has been updated)

Instance Browser: Shows all the Instancer Handlers in the scene and their respective source objects. Basically a nice overview of whats going on in your scene regarding instancing.
Surface Directory: Applies a surface file onto every object in a directory (Mass surface assignments)
Save Trans/Reload: Saves the currently selected object as transformed, and reloads it.

2) There is a new standalone tool, that allows you to take a fileinstance (created by my tool) and convert it to a lightwave object. That makes the workflow quite fast for continued loading. The generated lwo, is the same as the object placer file thats getting created, so you can check that video for intended use (assigning weights). Currently, that tool is a python script that is meant to run outside of lw via a command line:
OD_FileInstanceFile2LWO.pyc <datafile> <lwoObject>.
In the future, I will make it a standalone executable, not requiring python anymore - meaning, currently, you'll have to have python installed, but I wanted to get this to the people that need it asap.

Enjoy,

Oliver

allabulle
03-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Great! Thanks again Oliver.

jwiede
03-10-2016, 01:04 PM
2) There is a new standalone tool, that allows you to take a fileinstance (created by my tool) and convert it to a lightwave object. That makes the workflow quite fast for continued loading. The generated lwo, is the same as the object placer file thats getting created, so you can check that video for intended use (assigning weights). Currently, that tool is a python script that is meant to run outside of lw via a command line:
OD_FileInstanceFile2LWO.pyc <datafile> <lwoObject>.
In the future, I will make it a standalone executable, not requiring python anymore - meaning, currently, you'll have to have python installed, but I wanted to get this to the people that need it asap.

Oliver, which tool creates fileinstances in the first place? More generally, can you explain the usage workflow you envision involving these tools? I can't figure out the end-to-end usage workflow you intend with these.

Thanks!

jeric_synergy
03-10-2016, 01:15 PM
(Oliver, you should add purchase info to your sig-- I realize it's probably in post #1, but anything that greases the wheels of commerce, and sigs are free. )

oliverhotz
03-10-2016, 03:27 PM
JWiede: Regarding File instances. here's the concept behind them.

1) take a look at this video on my vimeo channel: https://vimeo.com/135754994

So the idea is to a) simplify scenes. and b) provide a very simple format, that could be written by other applications. One could have a very simple exporter for maya/max/etc that writes my file instance format (just a txt file) and you can keep them in lightwave as instances. There are some people, that have written outputs from compositing packages, and created whole city generators based on my format. It then very easily allows them to load that setup into lightwave. You can even export lwcad instances from modeler this way now, it supports my format.
My instancer then reads that file, and populates the scene. The reason for the "instance file to lwo" is very simple. I had a user with millions of instances, and as you can imagine, it becomes slow after a while - the text lookup. So i made a converter back into a point object, that stores the position in the points, and uses weights to store the objectname/rotation/scale per point, which you can then use in the native lw instancer to setup everything. As I am writing this, it might seem more complicated than it is. Give it a shot, its actually extremely simple, and incredibly powerful.

Let me know if that explains it, if not I'll try to explain better.

Best,

Oliver

and, last by not least... Purchase info, so people dont have to scroll to page 1...

Link: http://origamidigital.com/newtypo/index.php/software.html
Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417

jeric_synergy
03-10-2016, 03:48 PM
and, last by not least... Purchase info, so people dont have to scroll to page 1...

You da man. ;)

++++++++++++++
The "Clones>Instances" functionality certainly cleans up a clone-heavy Scene very effectively. Very interesting.

oliverhotz
04-15-2016, 09:09 PM
Hi Guys, just pushed out a new update.... following things are new:

1) New Tool Added to Layout: InstanceIDs Custom Object. Shows Instance ID's when applied to instancer.
2) New Tool Added to Modeler: MeasureCircle, gives you radius, circumference and area of any circle
3) New Tool Added to Modeler: Circlify. Allows you Circlify Polygon/Edges/Points - See new videos
4) Bug Fix on 2pt Instance Fit to make it work with DPKit.
5) Scene Overlay Masterplugin has been modified to also show the Speed of a specific item.

Enjoy,

Oliver

allabulle
04-16-2016, 05:10 AM
Nice! Thanks, Oliver.

Lewis
04-16-2016, 05:13 AM
Circlify that actually works, Yeaaaahhh :)

Thanks.

omichon
04-16-2016, 06:15 AM
I haven't had the opportunity to say it before, so thanks a lot Oliver for continuing improving this tools set.

THIBAULT
04-16-2016, 08:04 AM
I haven't had the opportunity to say it before, so thanks a lot Oliver for continuing improving this tools set.

Same here ! Thanks for your work.

oliverhotz
04-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Pushed out another really cool tool for the toolset today... OD Lightplacer. (however, this is for LW 2015 ONLY !)

Allows you to play lights by clicking on objects in the viewport. See new video to get an idea on how cool it is.

Enjoy,

Oliver

http://origamidigital.com/newtypo/index.php/software.html

jeric_synergy
04-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Quit making my money jump around in my wallet!!! ;)

allabulle
04-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Sweet!

allabulle
04-19-2016, 08:59 PM
OK, so I installed the updated ODToolSet and the Light Placer is not in the OD_Tools menu. It should be in "Setup Helpers" just after Paste Object, I think, but it isn't there, nor elsewhere. Is it working and appearing where it should for everyone? I uninstalled and installed again without success. Any tips? Thanks.

oliverhotz
04-19-2016, 09:31 PM
alla; thats because i made a mistake.. you can add it by hand if you need it tonight.. otherwise, wait for tomorrow for a fix..

oliverhotz
04-19-2016, 09:41 PM
never mind.. just pushed out the fix

calilifestyle
04-19-2016, 10:32 PM
Did you send out the new zip. sorry i only have the one from Sunday.

allabulle
04-19-2016, 11:20 PM
Thanks, I'll try it later. :)

oliverhotz
04-20-2016, 04:13 PM
Hi Cali... zips were sent last night

calilifestyle
04-21-2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks

oliverhotz
08-13-2016, 03:30 PM
HI Guys, i've pushed out another update... 3 new tools and a small update to an old one..

Three new tools for modeler and one update:
- Weld Clean: Welds selected points, and cleans up junk geometry such as resulting 1 pnt and 2 pnt polygons
- Weld Average Clean: Welds selected points to their average position and cleans up junk geometry.
- Merge Points Clean: Welds selected points to their average position and cleans up junk geometry.

Tools will keep their prior polygon/edge selections.

Updated the PolyCleanup tool to use the same mechanism as the tools above.

Enjoy,

Oliver

hrgiger
08-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Oh nice Oliver. I will definitely have to pick it up. That's a big timesaver.

Lewis
08-14-2016, 02:32 AM
Finally welding without a JUNK geometry. This one will save me hundreds of clicks on daily basis :).

Thanks Oliver.

allabulle
08-14-2016, 03:30 AM
Yup. Thanks Oliver!

jeric_synergy
08-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Sheesh! Seems obvious in retrospect. Well done, Oliver.

Spinland
08-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Okay, ya got me. Just picked this up. :D

oliverhotz
09-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Hi Guys, another update pushed out today.

Three new tools for Layout:
- Custom Object Plugin : OD_CustomObjName : Displays the name of object in the viewport.
- Master Plugin : OD_ALLObjNames : Displays the name of all objects in the viewport
- Master Plugin : OD_ALLItemNames : Displays the name of all objects as well as Lights and Cameras in the viewport

Enjoy,

Oliver

allabulle
09-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Nice!

Thanks again, Oliver.

jeric_synergy
09-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Dang! dude's on fire! Thanks very much Oliver.

oliverhotz
09-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Another new tool today.. based on this thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?151322-Set-layout-to-a-specific-frame-when-one-camera-of-more-is-selected-is-there-a-way&p=1481306#post1481306

- Master Plugin : OD_ItemFrameSwitcher : This was a user request. If an Item includes the string #<frame> in its name, upon selecting it, layout will jump to that frame. Example: a camera with the name "Camera #45" will jump to frame 45 when selected, or a null with the name "Locator #23" will jump to frame 23.
Its mainly meant for Archviz scenes, where a user might have many cameras setup, showcasing a different area of the building and wants to quickly jump between them to the different frameranges. Its a Workflow tool, not a Render switcher.

Enjoy,

Oliver

Lewis
09-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Interesting one, thanks Oliver

jeric_synergy
09-03-2016, 12:23 AM
That's a very interesting idea.

3dworks
09-03-2016, 01:58 AM
I would like to thank Oliver again for implementing this new tool - it's a huge workflow advancement for me! Setting up scenes with several cameras and different scene situations has never been easier, now. I really can only recommend the OD Tools, it's like having a bag of small workflow and productivity gems at your fingertips. And Oliver even makes you discover some new gems from time to time, in that bag! ;-)

Cheers

Markus

JohnMarchant
09-03-2016, 02:19 AM
NIce Oliver

samurai_x
09-03-2016, 10:55 PM
Another new tool today.. based on this thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?151322-Set-layout-to-a-specific-frame-when-one-camera-of-more-is-selected-is-there-a-way&p=1481306#post1481306

- Master Plugin : OD_ItemFrameSwitcher : This was a user request. If an Item includes the string #<frame> in its name, upon selecting it, layout will jump to that frame. Example: a camera with the name "Camera #45" will jump to frame 45 when selected, or a null with the name "Locator #23" will jump to frame 23.
Its mainly meant for Archviz scenes, where a user might have many cameras setup, showcasing a different area of the building and wants to quickly jump between them to the different frameranges. Its a Workflow tool, not a Render switcher.

Enjoy,

Oliver

Extremely useful. I also wanted this before when using cameras with frame number range.
Now its possible.

Unreal, unity related requests if possible.

1. A way to export each layer as its own fbx automatically. Option to set object to 0,0,0 or keep its current world coordinate.
2. Run atlas mapping to each layer and possibly apply it to luminosity channel. This is for lightmaps preparation. Or multi select layers and apply atlas mapping with each layer using maximum uv space not them sharing it.

samurai_x
09-03-2016, 11:00 PM
double post

erikals
09-04-2016, 02:05 AM
OD LightPlacer = http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

https://vimeo.com/163164294

"small" request, could you add "load image" under the spotlight option ?
+light intensity

oliverhotz
09-04-2016, 10:29 AM
I think keeping the light panel open, is faster.. as you can easily adjust/load anything you want then already.

Ultimately, it'd be nice to add presets for lights :)

jeric_synergy
09-04-2016, 10:39 AM
And the feature requests begin..... ;)

Personally, I like it when light generators default-name the lights the light type.

I find renaming lights to be drudgery, hate it, and anything that makes it more automatic is pure win. :caffeine:

oliverhotz
09-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Hi Guys... added another little one based on the Item Frame Switch. This will go out tomorrow.

https://vimeo.com/181401940

erikals
09-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Hah, cool! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

jeric_synergy
09-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Oliver, why do you use the term "Trace" in your light plugins???

oliverhotz
09-04-2016, 12:45 PM
because it traces the object ?

jeric_synergy
09-04-2016, 12:47 PM
?? Maybe I'm missing something: is it doing something other than the normal lighting?

oliverhotz
09-04-2016, 01:04 PM
?? Maybe I'm missing something:

yes you are.. its tracing the object to find the position of where the light should be

jwiede
09-04-2016, 06:41 PM
yes you are.. its tracing the object to find the position of where the light should be

Oliver, how do "diffuse", "reflection", and "rim" differ, precisely? Is it the offset angle, or...?

oliverhotz
09-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Diffuse mode positions the light normal to the surface to illuminate the position selected.
Rim mode positions the light directly opposite of the viewing angle to create a rim lighting effect on the object.
Reflection mode will position the light to reflect exactly in the location on the 3d model where it was clicked.

Its pretty much the same as in HDR Lightstudio, except that you are actually placing lights, and you have the
ability to include/excluse objects.

erikals
09-05-2016, 02:51 AM
wonder, are there plugins in OD Toolset that also would work in LightWave 11.6 ?

oliverhotz
09-05-2016, 07:21 AM
wonder, are there plugins in OD Toolset that also would work in LightWave 11.6 ?

I believe they all do.. however, once the next lw gets released, I am pretty sure I'll only be supporting 2015.3 and whatever the next version will be called.
That doesnt mean the old tools will stop working on anything before 2015.3, they'll stay the same, but likely the new ones, might not anymore.

erikals
09-05-2016, 07:36 AM
Nice! :)

seems LightPlacer is only LW 2015 though?  (according to the last seconds of this video)
https://vimeo.com/163164294

upgrading to 2015 is unlikely, and 2017 upgrade is going to cost $1000 in this country, so will have to wait a bit.

oliverhotz
09-05-2016, 07:57 AM
seems LightPlacer is only LW 2015 though?

oh you know what.. you are right.. LightPlacer only though. With some work, that could probably be made to work in 11.6 as well, but to be honest, the effort required isnt worth it. Sorry about that.

erikals
09-05-2016, 08:10 AM
that's fine, tons of other cool features, and LightPlacer can kick in once i upgrade to 2017  :)

zapper1998
09-05-2016, 08:32 AM
How do we get the updates????

Tk
Mike

oliverhotz
09-05-2016, 10:16 AM
they are emailed to you.

erikals
09-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Bought!  http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

samurai_x
09-06-2016, 04:47 AM
Hi Guys... added another little one based on the Item Frame Switch. This will go out tomorrow.

https://vimeo.com/181401940

Wow and it didn't take a day to add this request. Really useful function.

oliverhotz
09-07-2016, 08:40 AM
A little bit of modeler love again. Two new tools have just been pushed out.

OD_StorePivot: Stores the pivot point position of the currently selected layer
OD_RecallPivot: Retrieves the stored pivot point position, and allows you to paste it to the new layer, with the option of mirroring on x,y,z

Enjoy,

allabulle
09-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Those are going to be most useful. Thanks!

zapper1998
09-09-2016, 02:57 AM
Awesome news.....

coolness

oliverhotz
09-10-2016, 12:02 PM
More modeler love. Two new tools and a bugfix:

- Weights 2 VtxColor: Converts all the weights of the object into a vertex color map (red channel) for each weightmap
- VtxColor 2 Weights: Converts all the Vertex Color maps (red channel) into weight map for each Vertex color map

These two, amongst many other uses, could be used to pass weightmaps to different apps and go back and forth. Another
use is for debugging purposes when you want to quickly and easily render weightmaps

Also there is a bugfix for the ItemAnimSwitch Master script.

erikals
09-10-2016, 12:10 PM
hm, interesting! :)

might try weight-painting for then to convert it into a FiberFX bias map.

jeric_synergy
09-10-2016, 12:36 PM
- Weights 2 VtxColor: Converts all the weights of the object into a vertex color map (red channel) for each weightmap
- VtxColor 2 Weights: Converts all the Vertex Color maps (red channel) into weight map for each Vertex color map

Somebody somewhere was just complaining (justifiably) that it was not possible to turn off the wireframe display in Weightmap display mode. This facility above would obviate that need, correct?

oliverhotz
09-10-2016, 02:10 PM
This facility above would obviate that need, correct?

Correct.

erikals
10-01-2016, 06:03 AM
hi Oliver, regarding Object Placer, any way of getting an "Airbrush" function?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEKnkMbtioA

Markc
04-02-2017, 06:53 AM
I am being lazy and not reading through all 12 pages of this thread.

Do any Mac users have these tools working.
Just looking at Kat's latest TFD video which uses the MDD tool.
Can't see any info on the website, the only hint was from this thread in the very first post in 2014, that it should work.

raw-m
04-02-2017, 06:58 AM
Has it been that long! Yes, do it, they work fine. A few of them have some quirks but if you do find errors then notify Oliver as he's been brilliant at responding.

Markc
04-02-2017, 07:03 AM
Thanks Mark :thumbsup:

raw-m
04-02-2017, 07:08 AM
:D Ps, and check out his Vimeo channel, always worth refreshing yourself what does what ever couple of months!
https://vimeo.com/oliverhotz

jwiede
04-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Has it been that long! Yes, do it, they work fine. A few of them have some quirks but if you do find errors then notify Oliver as he's been brilliant at responding.

Yeah, I can confirm that as well, they work fine on LW Mac (and if you find quirks, Oliver is very quick to respond and fix).

raw-m
08-13-2017, 06:03 AM
Hi Oliver, a Vehicle Setup Pro question - it's all a breeze to setup! Using the speed Control, it's simple enough to start from 0 and speed up, is there a solution to bring a vehicle to a stop? If I animate from speed to 0 there comes a point where my cars stars going backwards!

raw-m
08-13-2017, 06:14 AM
....OK, I've had a dig and deleted the Speed Control part in the Master expression, so moving it manually in the Graph Editor on the Master null. Looks like the speed controller is more of a multiplier than a true "speed" thing, but all seems to be working well :D

erikals
10-28-2017, 03:12 PM
heard rumors about OD alembic particle export to pfx ?

... does this mean easy Houdini particles export into LightWave ?

oliverhotz
10-28-2017, 03:39 PM
yes.. houdini or modo. works with both

erikals
10-28-2017, 03:59 PM
:bowdown: :)