PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Question - Subdivide Text

Airwaves
12-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Hello all,
I am following the tutorial from cody burke on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj4QtvrYPiQ&list=UUHH_DyamqSy1UJUCvYhdR8A

for flocking fruit. I have a simple question as I am learning. How in the world do you subdivide text? I create the text but get a little notification that you cannot subdivide one poly. I have some basic text that I want to subdivide like it is done in the video.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Airwaves
12-12-2014, 02:58 PM
The suggestion modeler gave me was to try triple but that gives me uneven divisions. Still working on it.

codyburke610
12-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Hi Airwaves,

For this example I just used the knife tool to create segments.

-Cody

Airwaves
12-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Hi Airwaves,

For this example I just used the knife tool to create segments.

-Cody

Awesome. I will do that. It might take a while but this animation will be worth it. Thanks for the tutorial.

JoePoe
12-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Well, you've got the tutorial author helping you so I don't want to step on toes......

But Running Julienne2 twice (once down each axis of the flat geometry) will make real short work of it. :)

.... the second slicing of 40 vertical cuts down the length of the word done in one shot ===> 126032

Airwaves
12-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Well, you've got the tutorial author helping you so I don't want to step on toes......

But Running Julienne2 twice (two axis) will make real short work of it. :)

.... the second slicing of 40 cuts done in one shot ===> 126032

Is Julienne2 a plugin?

JoePoe
12-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Sorry.... native tool.

Multiply Tab > Subdivide > More > Julienne2 (or Julienne)

I'm just getting used to 11.6 here. Used to be Julienne left behind cutting geometry in another layer.
Seems to not do that now. But be on the lookout for that.

Airwaves
12-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Sorry.... native tool.

Multiply Tab > Subdivide > More > Julienne (or Julienne2)

Thank you for that. Much appreciated. I will keep that in mind on the next one as I already finished this one.

jeric_synergy
12-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Multiply Tab > Subdivide > More > Julienne2 (or Julienne)

I'm just getting used to 11.6 here. Used to be Julienne left behind cutting geometry in another layer.
Seems to not do that now. But be on the lookout for that.
Should prolly be an option for that-- somebody somewhere found a use for that stuff. ;)

I'd like an ADVANCED Julienne that adjusted itself to DPKit-style 'parts', so that divisions were equally distributed across EACH connected island (usually a letterface). Then there'd never be a division excessively close to the edge, which can happen now.

And, of course, it'd be nice if that was built into whatever text tool we get on some far far faroff day.