PDA

View Full Version : Computer Trouble

VonBon
12-11-2014, 11:32 AM
So my computer keeps making a Siren sound when I boot it up (This is a "Cold" boot).
It comes on and cycles through the siren 2 or 3 times then cuts off.

I checked all the fans, Graphics, Power Supply, CPU, and Chassis.
A wire on the chassis fan was broken so I spliced it and it works. I also went to the Bios
and told it to detect fans on next boot. I changed the Motherboard Battery as well as
sprayed out all the dust.

Don't laugh but I've had this computer (gm5478) for a long time (2006 or 2008). I added a new PSU and graphics card.
Recently I put another HDD in and the Motherboard supports 3gbs and the drive I put in is 6gbs. Its been
working fine until just recently if that could cause a problem.

The computer will come on at some point after i keep trying, and when it does I don't have any problems
out of it while its on or do a restart. Its only when I leave it off for a period of time.

Any help/ideas would be great, don't want to buy a computer if I don't need too.

MarcusM
12-11-2014, 11:50 AM
If you checked already all then hmm try put RAM on different slot.

paulk
12-11-2014, 11:53 AM
My old PC started making a "funny" noise when I powered it up. It was the death rattle of my hard drive. If I let my old PC sit for a while, it would start up ok, then start making THAT noise. Fortunately, I built a new PC and got what I needed off my old PC before its hard drive went belly up.

I'm not a hardware engineer, but I would guess that a mismatch between the supported transfer rate on the mobo and the hard drive isn't helping.

Looks like it's time for a new PC. Build or buy is up to you.

VonBon
12-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks. Well I hope its not dying on me. Forgot to try the RAM, will do that when I get home.

hazmat777
12-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks. Well I hope its not dying on me. Forgot to try the RAM, will do that when I get home.

That sucks. Hope you work it out. If you do come to the conclusion that it's one of your hard drives, try this program (Spinrite) it has worked for me in the past.

https://www.grc.com/intro.htm

spherical
12-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Drive/Bus transfer rate won't cause any issues. Newer technologies have to be backward compatible, at least for a significant time, usually by two or three versions. The drive can supply 6GB/s if asked. The Bus does the asking, so the drive complies.

As far as the "siren" goes, I assume this is BIOS beeps indicating what is wrong. Each motherboard BIOS manufacturer has its own array of beep codes. Some are universal but most are not. Research the codes. The number and length tell you what hardware is malfunctioning. That it does boot after some number of tries would indicate that it is a heat issue. Something is momentary until the motherboard warms up. Just for bumps, on the next cold boot, warm the motherboard with a hair blower for a bit prior to hitting the switch. Could be something as simple as reseating the expansion cards in their slots. Good thing to check anyway; along with the RAM, as mentioned above.

cagey5
12-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Motherboards normally sound a siren sequence when they can't get through POST and put something on screen. Usually memory problems I think but if you google with your motherboard model I'm sure it'll throw something up.

VonBon
12-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks everybody.

Ok so I reseated everything and while doing so I saw this.....126026
Some kind of Alien Fungus. :alien:

Spherical, I think it may have something to do with it warming up also like you said.
It will turn on after about 10 or 15 attempts to power on so I'm guessing its warming up.

Sensei
12-11-2014, 07:46 PM
What do you have on top of capacitors?! Doesn't look like dirt..

Bottom right capacitor on the left also looks like little bold. It means soon will explode also.

Destruction of capacitors might indicate other problems with mb.
Replacing 3 capacitors probably <5 usd if you will do it by yourself.

jwiede
12-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Those capacitors look shot, leaking/oozing at some point in past, and damaged. Likely time for a new motherboard.

You can try replacing the capacitors, but chances are the cause of their problems also caused damage elsewhere to the board, and thus you're typically better off replacing the motherboard.

spherical
12-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Yup, those caps are suspect, to say the very least. Time for an upgrade! You've had that puppy long enough.

Oedo 808
12-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Yup, those caps are suspect, to say the very least. Time for an upgrade! You've had that puppy long enough.

Why spherical, how very generous of you! Can we all partake or is the offer only for VonBon? :D

spherical
12-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Only for him, sorry. Hey, I had two workstations running here for longer than that, due to obvious economy issues that struck us really hard. Dual Athon Thunderbird motherboards started on W2k and went up to XP. Upgraded the CPUs twice, until they stopped making them for that socket. Long in the tooth doesn't even scratch the surface. Was only able to allocate funds to build new workstations last year. Needless to say, my render times went WAY down. :)

ccclarke
12-13-2014, 06:45 AM
Those are leaky electrolytic capacitors. If you know how to solder (and de-solder) or know someone that does, they are very cheap and simple to replace, and might save you the cost of upgrading your motherboard. The values (microfarad and voltage rating) are printed on the sides. Do be aware that electrolytic caps have polarity --also printed on the sides and sometimes on the board graphics.

CC

VonBon
12-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Thanks everybody for the input. So I've been researching to see what to get and I'm still
on the fence about which processor. I'm looking at the 8-core 4Ghz FX-8350 or the Quad core 4Ghz I7 4790k.

I read this post http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1798367/true-amd-8350-cores-cpu.html

So I wanted to get some opinions from people I trust on which would be better for rendering in
LightWave and compiling in Unreal Engine 4.

spherical
12-14-2014, 07:39 PM
I have a water cooled hex-core i7-3930k running @4.4GHz on an ASUS P9X79 Deluxe with 32GB RAM and GTX680 on a Corsair AX1200i PSU. Some applications are optimized for the Intel CPU architecture, so an AMD may not be the way to go. There are a number of significant differences in the two Intel chips. Best to search: "4790k 3930k compare" and read in full through the first few hits, particularly:

http://versus.com/en/intel-core-i7-3930k-vs-intel-core-i7-4790k
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3930K/2384vs1487

The 3930k has a much higher memory bandwidth and its on-chip caches are larger. If multithreading is important, which in rendering it is (unless you get an external GPU renderer), the 3930k is significantly better. If you have a graphics card, then the on-board GPU on the 4790k won't be of much use.