PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave3d Presets Petition-sign now!! :)

milivoj_popovic
12-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Hello fellow Lightwavers!

I'm starting a petition to inspire Newtek to move the surface presets they have right now in LW from the 90's into 2014. Come on Newtek- 3DS Max, Keyshot, Modo,... to name a few- all have gorgeous library's of material presets, not just for surfaces but for enviroments as well. Meanwhile we are stuck with the basically same presets since version 8.. PLEASE hire some kick *** artist to make a decent library of presets so that artists can be empowered to create beautiful renders without racking their brains on the tehnical side of node based shaders.
If you agree please putt your respective name under! :)
i'll start it off!
1.Milivoj Popovic (www.milivojpopovic.com)

Every4thPixel
12-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Presets is the last thing I'm concerned about. I never use them and I've never missed them either.

Otterman
12-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Presets is the last thing I'm concerned about. I never use them and I've never missed them either.

Thats because the current ones are terrible. I second the need to update this! Newtek and 3DXYZ.pro need to work something so there is a comprehensive suite of presets. At least it will serve as a decent starting point.

JohnMarchant
12-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Agreed Presets are a good starting point and especially useful for beginners or those in a hurry. Some are very old and outdated.

MSherak
12-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Presets shipped with specific materials are for artists that don't want to take the time to learn how shaders really work, not for a newbie learning. Surfacing is just as important, if not more, than the modeling, lighting or setting up a scene. If you want to see what artists are doing then you should check out http://3dxyz.pro/presets/

ianr
12-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Yep 1,000% Dobra.....

hokolo
12-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Yes, I agree, I could need some actual presets too, especially with nodes (to learn from these examples) - I spend much more time with modelling...

bobakabob
12-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Agree, what impression do LW newbies get when they see these outdated surface presets? They definitely don't show off one of LW's greatest strength which is nodal surfacing.

COBRASoft
12-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Count me in!

OnlineRender
12-11-2014, 05:55 PM
+1 , I can only reference what people submit....

>personally I would like to see right click save preset to server > server then displays preset.

you can do this via a shared dropbox account but not very practical.

Presets could be good and could be better.

djwaterman
12-11-2014, 08:26 PM
It's already been solved by something better than a preset library shipped with Lightwave.

http://3dxyz.pro/

These are presets produced by professionals and tested, plus the Library will grow with time and more contributions from users. Once you download the presets you have them as conveniently as you have the ones shipped with Lightwave.

LW_Will
12-11-2014, 10:58 PM
I too agree. Make surfaces and textures more modern. LW3DG come on, you must know someone... somewhere... ;-)

motivalex
12-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Good presets are important for a modern app. the decade old plus presets which weren't even that good originally need replacing.

veljko-lemonade
12-12-2014, 02:53 AM
if you are an artist that wants to focus on modeling or want to focus on using lightwave to work on lightening or camera, cinematics etc, then you want to get to what interests you as fast as you can and not waste time on stuff which is ether out of your scope of interest or knowledge- even if you are an artist that does surfacing, a great preset is always a good starting point. This is the reason why a lot of artists have thier own preset libraries and not just for surfaces but also model library etc. It all comes down to is getting a great result as fast as you can and focusing on the creative aspect and your personal interest.
If the setting is a professional one where deadlines are king, a sense of urgency to have a preset library of great surfaces that will dazzle the client and will leave you time to focus on other aspects of production grows even more.

I see people mentioning 3dkyz- its ok but its not great. I know lightwave can do more and if i know it then you guys in newtek have to know it too. Aside from this, there is no reason why great surfaces should not be an ongoing Newtek pursuit to make their software show off what it can do, rather then to depend on what the community will create.

All of this is just a mute point if you go to other rendering engines and 3d packages and check out their presets...do we really want to fall behind? and at what cost?

OnlineRender
12-12-2014, 03:49 AM
I see people mentioning 3dkyz- its ok but its not great. I know lightwave can do more and if i know it then you guys in newtek have to know it too.

agreed and they are fully aware, mainly because I moan at them most days :D
yeah 3dxyz could be better and I also noticed a trend of octane presets which is something I didn't really account for , that said why would you want native LW presets when you use another render engine?.

to be fair I think with Ken on the team you will see big changes , I know LW3DG will one day make Lwiki redundant and I would imagine at some point introduce a repository / asset store like Unity.
which essentially leaves me up a gum-tree from a selfish perspective , but as a LW user it needs done and I welcome it fully.

3DXYZ will never be the equivalent of a fully integrated / LW application , I could throw money at it and hire a python developer and bring more user functionality and build exactly what LW3DG should be doing, but again it will never go toe-toe with an official supported application.
it's pretty much the same if I opened the presets database upto Modo or Blender users "thought about it a lot ", by default users will always pick the host app, however for the time being 3DXYZ acts as a holding and looking at the webhits it's doing pretty well and to be honest it's built around WP and literally was setup in a day and this reflects in the design.

ideas are not something I am short on , it's time and money!

prometheus
12-12-2014, 04:26 AM
yepp..I´ll sign too, I have ranted about it too for quite some time.

personally I would like to see more presets in the landscape category, that means rocks, land, terrain, oceans...the selection to choose from for good water surfaces is quite poor.
another thing is that they need to get rid of that annoying do you really want to replace surface, and alos make them just as simple as drag and drop to where you want the surface.

Michael Ivarsson..the last...o sorry, signing off:D

Otterman
12-12-2014, 04:54 AM
agreed and they are fully aware, mainly because I moan at them most days :D
yeah 3dxyz could be better and I also noticed a trend of octane presets which is something I didn't really account for , that said why would you want native LW presets when you use another render engine?.

to be fair I think with Ken on the team you will see big changes , I know LW3DG will one day make Lwiki redundant and I would imagine at some point introduce a repository / asset store like Unity.
which essentially leaves me up a gum-tree from a selfish perspective , but as a LW user it needs done and I welcome it fully.

3DXYZ will never be the equivalent of a fully integrated / LW application , I could throw money at it and hire a python developer and bring more user functionality and build exactly what LW3DG should be doing, but again it will never go toe-toe with an official supported application.
it's pretty much the same if I opened the presets database upto Modo or Blender users "thought about it a lot ", by default users will always pick the host app, however for the time being 3DXYZ acts as a holding and looking at the webhits it's doing pretty well and to be honest it's built around WP and literally was setup in a day and this reflects in the design.

ideas are not something I am short on , it's time and money!

Credit to you, what you have achieved is great and is definately a giant step towards where a presets database should head. I think where it currently falls down is that it's not so comprehensive as the current lightwave built in presets. But at least they are modern and being developed...unlike that of Newteks! Think Newtek should get you on board and pay you to update the presets lib.

Anyhow I check into 3DXYZ regularly as I am a fan of this site.

djwaterman
12-12-2014, 05:13 AM
Personally, I've never used the LW presets at any point during using LW, I think they should all be dumped as they probably contribute to how people who don't know any better perceive a surface be set up. I would like more artists to contribute LW (not Octane) presets to the 3DXYZ data base, particularly just basic things like glass and rock, concrete, wood etc. However there is already a lot of stuff in there and it takes time to grow this sort of content.

Nicolas Jordan
12-12-2014, 06:24 AM
I think it really depends on the kind of work you do if you use presets or not. Doing Arch-Viz work there are always plenty of colors and surfaces that can be saved and constantly reused in other projects.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it really depends on the kind of work you do if you use presets or not. Doing Arch-Viz work there are always plenty of colors and surfaces that can be saved and constantly reused in other projects.

prometheus
12-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Personally, I've never used the LW presets at any point during using LW, I think they should all be dumped as they probably contribute to how people who don't know any better perceive a surface be set up. I would like more artists to contribute LW (not Octane) presets to the 3DXYZ data base, particularly just basic things like glass and rock, concrete, wood etc. However there is already a lot of stuff in there and it takes time to grow this sort of content.

That I disagree about, the way one could work with for instance landscaping, with premade presets are a huge boost in workflow if you have the right content and assets, 10 or 20 surfaces for water, oceans, and same for terrain, and perhaps premade object content with trees, and of you go to design your landscape in much faster ways ...and quite similar to working with vue, except we would miss the atmosphere engine and some terrain tools.
the preset tools in the lightwave nature section, you got, water,one rough ocean, and underwater...common!
there´s a little more for moss and ground, but those are not really good for some landscapes if you look at how textures and procedurals are made in vue...of course someone needs to make them.

Having good presets is additional bonus, and that shouldn´t stop you as an artist to create your own or study others, even if you know how to, it will still be faster to use presets that are already there right?, the question is if they are acceptable and just as good as you want them to be, or if you yourself can make better ones.

If I had a seagenerato premade with displacement, bumps, foam...I rather use that then set everything up from scratch...hot ocean for instance...the problem with that is I felt it being to slow to use, whish that could be enhanced though.
same with old naturefx tools for water...why would you create your own if you alread had a great ocean shading tool in your toolset.

same goes with hypervoxels or fiberfx, turbulencefd..who wouldn´t want more good presets on that? or should one refer to..go make it all from scratch...well that you should do in order to learn and know the inside out, but
if you got a project..why build the wheel again when you got a preset to get going.

Michael

OnlineRender
12-12-2014, 08:09 AM
I got a comment the other day along the lines "should you be including things like Bullet!".

I never really made the tetris (http://3dxyz.pro/bullet-preset-and-scene-tetris/)example to show off my amazing LW skilz , lol ... it acts like a place holder and shows the site can be adapted and support other elements , for example the grass and instancing scene has been download 300+ that I am aware of .

We now include

Bullet Presets -
Genoma Presets-
Gizmos -
Octane & LW surface presets
Instancing presets
Image Filters

I want a decent HV setup
Fibre FX
Skytracer
and even Menu Configs / UI elements

presets are handy the other day I used some of the presets just to quickly get a render out the door...

> this one ;D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10682392_929264873764525_360281901558266166_o.jpg

tonyrizo2003
12-12-2014, 09:32 AM
I typically use IFW, and from there I tweak the hell out of the textures.