PDA

View Full Version : Wierdness in 2015

Amurrell
12-09-2014, 03:53 PM
While trying to use rounder, 2015 crashed and when I brought the file back up again all of my layers were obliterated and the object collapsed down to 1 layer. Not sure if I would consider 2015 "production ready" for you guys earning a living on it. I ran into many crashes during simple operations, so be warned about this big one. It may not happen all the time, but the crashes repeatedly happening on this small detail almost left me one monitor short, after wanting to put my fist through it. My wife intervened though and made me take a step back.

XswampyX
12-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Oh dear!

I have troubles too.

Half of the standard plug-ins are missing... 'CTRL-C', 'Ctrl-V' and 'DEL' keyboard shortcuts are screwy, multiple crashes and the worst, doubling of all geometry when you send object to scene.... and breath... :)

Kaptive
12-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Also, on large scenes I have found the original scene editor to significantly slow down operations (like a 6-7 second pause between selecting objects). As soon as I close it everything is fast again. But on opening the same scene in 11.6.3, scene editor works as expected and all aspects work a little faster as a whole. I'll be honest, though I've tried 2015 in production, I'm not really trusting it. I do hope a bug fix version shows up without too much of a wait as I don't really want to use 2015 much until that point. Because of a crash last night it corrupted a model and I had to go and mess about to get it back again. Not the end of the world but extra steps that wasted time.

It's still a great release, but it does need a few major issues sorting out sooner rather than later.

Amurrell
12-09-2014, 04:26 PM
I don't know what to say. Maybe it's best for us hobbyists to kick the tires first, but then again we don't push things to the limit all the time, so we won't find everything the production guys and gals will. About ready to reinstall 11.6.3 just to reduce the frustration factor and get things done. I have to admit that I spend most of my time in modeler, and even though things haven't changed much there, something got broken. Oh well, I have achieved my calm once again. Back to the grind.

Just as a note, they are working on a patch version for 2015, and one of the bugs I reported no longer happens, so the team is busy at work and hopefully a lot of issues will be resolved.

gerry_g
12-09-2014, 05:34 PM
been modelling two or there days straight haven't seen a single thing I would call weird or suspect, seems all good, tried rounder several time no probs, sent thing to layout no probs, old genome rig to layout did go funny, rig built ok but final mesh had subs turned off, tried several times same results, put it down to old rig compatibility. Only thing I am noting is I do a lot of short static renders in a day and it now crashes two or three times a day just after I hit F9, used to be prone to doing it after using VPR but now there is no rhyme or reason just crashes a lot. would be helpful to say whether you are Mac or PC what OS version and whether running in 32 or 64 bit mode ( ok Prometheus is probably only one still in 32) me included. Mac, Mavericks, 64bit

spherical
12-09-2014, 09:18 PM
I've had F9 crashes, too. No correlation at this point what took place just prior to have caused them. Had this back when v10 was released and have been very happy that it's been gone... up to now. Back to the same ol'. Take your chance, press the button, 25% chance of BOOM! Now, in these early days with a new version, I don't do anything but standard stuff; leaving the crucial operations to a trusted version. SO, it seems really odd that the Closed Beta Team didn't run into this. This is what having an Open (but vetted) Beta group was about. More people testing a new version prior to release. Oh, wait... I guess we're in it.

rustythe1
12-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Having the same woes, never had any major problems since 8.5, but I now get f9 crashes, modeller has become really unstable, Boolean nearly always crashes modeller (never had that before, only the unable to generate poly error) but then you load the same object, run the same Boolean and works fine, basically I have to close and open modeller before any Boolean operation, not good when you are on tight deadlines,
when it crashes it is now the standard windows "modeller has stopped working" so do not even get the fogbuz dialogue you used to get so you could forward the results (also in 11.6 you could usually still save an object after a crash which was kind of cool, but now modeller just vanishes.

lardbros
12-10-2014, 09:34 AM
I've been using it in production, and haven't had a single crash so far... on a very heavy scene, lots of switching between Modeler and Layout, complex procedural texturing, and 3rd party nodes too :) So far, so good! (For me anyway)

prometheus
12-11-2014, 08:11 AM
modeler crashes for me with the demo trial, and lw 32 bit..

crash when minimizing texture fallof window..all the time.
creating fractured pieces in modeler and send to layout for dynamic simulation..crashes, lino confirmed that ..so I think that will be fixed soon, the fracture pieces are also screwed up with flipped normals and not correctly fractured either.
layout...bullet item list slider is crashing when you click and move it.
some content is crashing.

I gave up testing it for a few days due to many crashes that made me go..no!!, not again....but I will try again to evaluate it a little bit more.

Nicolas Jordan
12-12-2014, 08:47 AM
I've had F9 crashes, too. No correlation at this point what took place just prior to have caused them. Had this back when v10 was released and have been very happy that it's been gone... up to now. Back to the same ol'. Take your chance, press the button, 25% chance of BOOM! Now, in these early days with a new version, I don't do anything but standard stuff; leaving the crucial operations to a trusted version. SO, it seems really odd that the Closed Beta Team didn't run into this. This is what having an Open (but vetted) Beta group was about. More people testing a new version prior to release. Oh, wait... I guess we're in it.

Using the trial version I had immediate crash F9 with one project I loaded up to test. It only happened when I put GI up to 2 bounces but I haven't had any time to narrow the crash down any more than that. I think it could be a combination of setting that caused it for me. If I get some time I'm going to try and narrow this bug down. In my opinion 2015 is not quite ready for production. Maybe it will be after 1 or 2 service packs.