PDA

View Full Version : Openvdb question

seghier
12-09-2014, 01:52 PM
hello
can lightwave convert an object to vdb file ?
and i want know what is the best method to create high quality clouds with houdini and convert it to vdb

prometheus
12-11-2014, 08:22 AM
No..I donīt think there is such implementation in Ligthwave yet, and no such pipeline to work with houdini volumetrics to get a volumetric file in to lightwave.
I would recomend you ask that in the houdini forums though.

As I understand it ..you seem to want to use the houdini cloudfx tools and create a volumetric cloud and then import it as volumetric dataset in to lightwave, that I donīt think is possible right now, I recall the old dynamite plugin had volumetric datasets that could be loaded, but I donīt think it would match to load such dataset, cant recall exactly what type of datasets..if it was simple crt scans or mr, but open vdb is something newer so I donīt think so.

One thing that could be interesting to develop for lightwave, if jawset...jascha implement support of that, so if we have the turbulenceFD plugin, we could load in volumetric datasets from houdini, or if the lightwave group starts to implement it, like a new hypervoxel system able to import open vdb files and volumetric datasets, but then there will be the question if houdini apprentice or the indie program allows for such exports, unless you have the full houdini versions that is.

but currently I donīt think there is such export options to allow for volumetric items created in houdini to import in to lightwave.

Michael

seghier
12-11-2014, 10:50 AM
thanks Michael
sadly lightwave don't support openvdb and don't allow external render engine like maxwell to render hair and volumetric
the new version of maxwell 3.1 support open vdb and i want create clouds to use them in maxwell ; i search how to convert object to vdb but i find only some tips to do that in houdini

prometheus
12-12-2014, 10:26 AM
thanks Michael
sadly lightwave don't support openvdb and don't allow external render engine like maxwell to render hair and volumetric
the new version of maxwell 3.1 support open vdb and i want create clouds to use them in maxwell ; i search how to convert object to vdb but i find only some tips to do that in houdini

Maxwell and openVDB, aha...perhaps the maxwell plugin for lightwave may support that..if not now maybe later, perhaps you should contact the maxwell team about that plugin intergration with lightwave and possibilities to render houdini volumetrics.

Michael

seghier
12-16-2014, 08:13 AM
thanks ; yes with houdini worked fine with the new plugin available ; but lightwave no
for this reason i want how to create high quality clouds with houdini and convert it to openvdb ; just for test the new feature of maxwell

prometheus
12-16-2014, 08:40 AM
thanks ; yes with houdini worked fine with the new plugin available ; but lightwave no
for this reason i want how to create high quality clouds with houdini and convert it to openvdb ; just for test the new feature of maxwell

Maybe you should forward your request here, in their special dedicated forum threads...

http://forums.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?27-LW-Feature-Requests

Possibly also write to the maxwell team and ask a question why itīs not possible and if it is up to them, or the lightwave team to implement changes for it to work.