PDA

View Full Version : Changing attachment point location in a point to point constraint?

TSpyrison
12-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Sorry if this is an easy question..

But I've got a Christmas ornament that I'm wanting to swing around with a point to point constraint.
Problem is, The constraint attaches to the ornament in the center of its mass, as opposed to the top of the little hook of the ornament.

How do I change this?

ernpchan
12-09-2014, 09:47 AM
As a quick test I did a P2P constraint between two nulls that are barely offset from each other in Y. Then parented my ornament to the bottom null. It doesn't result in a lot of swinging action though since the distance between the two nulls is pretty tiny because the constraint is basically on top of itself.

The better setup that just worked for me is to do a P2P constraint between two nulls that are spaced further apart. Then have a bone target the bottom null. Then parent your ornament to the bone. I swapped out my ornament geo for a null with the sphere item.

RebelHill
12-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Constraints happen at pivot points... so pivot point constrains to pivot point... So either move the pivot point of the item, or, as Ernest suggests... use a null as an inbetween.

If you want to be able to just do quick easy constraining (in place or otherwise)... go grab my rigging toolbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OL7oBg-ug&list=PLTds3QePYrWGUd7fMuNAivIsORvpnKDqX&index=41