PDA

View Full Version : What impresses people about LW?

Philbert
12-08-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm looking to do some tutorials for my YouTube channel. When thinking of topics I remembered a lot of people here saying they use LightWave at work and users of other software always come over and are amazed. Can you guys name some of the tools in particular that impress users of Max, Maya, etc.? Doing tutorials on those could of course be useful, but also help promote LW.

hazmat777
12-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Well, thinking back to when I first started with LW, I liked how close it was to actual camera lenses. A VERY simple tutorial could start with just showing how to navigate that interface and show the different camera types for different situations. Just an idea targeting beginners.

realgray
12-08-2014, 01:42 PM
The ability to animate/record the camera while your scene is playing.

Philbert
12-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Interesting suggestions. I haven't messed with real lens cameras in a while but i know that my own DSLR and lens are listed in it so I can work with that. I might even be able to combine the 2 ideas.

jkir
12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
I am impressed so far by the fact that I downloaded the trail and after couple hours I was already able to do something. And with Modo for example I still don't understand anything after a two or three month long trials throughout several years while it does have a few necessary features LW doesn't .

tcoursey
12-08-2014, 03:12 PM
For me as stated it's how easy the camera is to move around. Love looking through the lens and setting keyframes that are smoth and fluid! The other thing that is not as easy in MAX and MAYA maybe C4D is kind of a double edged sword...it's how accessible the actual points and polys are. In those other packages they are more parametric modelers so getting to the points and polys are deeply embeded in the toolset. You can just quickly grab and move around, snap etc...points and polys. If there was one other thing is't how easy and straight forward the original layers approach to texturing is. It's very deep but quickly approachable. I for one have not gone into the nodes much, but do every now and again when it's just necessary. Will continue to do more and more...but the layers are so easy to get most things I need for my projects.....

Fluid Camera Moves
Easy Modeling (Points and Polys)
Textures and Shading

Ryan Roye
12-08-2014, 03:18 PM
I've been told by c4d users that they wish they could do half of what is possible with IKBooster. Not bad for a 10+ yr old Lightwave feature.

MarcusM
12-08-2014, 03:59 PM
My friend from work, long time Maya user was impressed by VPR.
When i asked him if it's possible in Maya to have quad view(for modeling) with dependent moves and zoom like in Modeler he asked "for what?" ;]. It is not possible what i realize after. He was modeling in perspectiive, after that i saw he modeling in quad view but changing views in every window was loosing time during modeling.
In Maya are many tools for UV and nice panel for that. He was supprised how fast i doing UV map in LW with PLG pack (low poly model, ship or vechicle with many small thing). That UV mapping in LW is possible because i have full and fast control on model through layer panel, UV map list, hidding etc. BUT if something, in LW when you edit mesh on textured object, UV destructs...

Philbert
12-08-2014, 04:29 PM
I've been told by c4d users that they wish they could do half of what is possible with IKBooster. Not bad for a 10+ yr old Lightwave feature.

Unfortunately I'm still wrapping my head around ikBooster. Every time I think I've got it down I try to repeat something and it doesn't work the same as it did before. *shrug*

Axis3d
12-08-2014, 06:26 PM
My Maya friend was always impressed by the VPR and the ability to shift-click on the image to open its surface properties.

He also was very impressed by (and I thought this somewhat standard between packages) the ability to see the deformations in a model in the viewport before you render it. If I was using displacement mapping on a model, or moving the displacements around in realtime in the viewport, he said that he had to render to see the results. I couldn't imagine working that way. Not sure if Maya has improved that or not yet.

I've also been told that the node editor is very clean and straight-forward and they wished that Maya's surfacing was more like that.

Surrealist.
12-08-2014, 06:48 PM
I would be careful about - and even eliminate entirely - comparisons to other apps in tutorials. Unless you are an advanced level user with the current version of said software and you also do a side by side comparison and truly apply apples to apples using the fastest approaches in other apps.

And this in my opinion should be eliminated from any presentations as well.

One that sticks out to me is the claim that LightWave uses "real world units."

Rob actually stated this and was trying to make the case that LightWave was unique in this regard. You have to be very careful what you say. And unless you have a real direct comparison between apps, and you really do know your stuff inside and out in said app.... skip it.

I do think a comparison to other apps is a great idea for a tutorial in itself. But I think it has to not only fair and balanced, it should be done in a helpful way to assist people to find points of similarity and differences when making a transition or adding LW to the toolset.

spherical
12-08-2014, 07:03 PM
While I agree that putting comparisons into these tutorials would be a bad idea, I don't think that anyone was suggesting doing comparisons, they were citing that which impressed users of other software. IOW, an outside validation that a particular feature of LightWave is cool and, therefore, would be interesting to prospective users.

Philbert
12-08-2014, 07:16 PM
I would never do comparisons. I just want to do tutorials that people would find interesting, even people who don't use LW.

jeric_synergy
12-08-2014, 09:52 PM
I would be careful about - and even eliminate entirely - comparisons to other apps in tutorials.
This is wisdom.

There's so many reasons a comparison can go wrong, it's just best to avoid them. For example, to use Richard's example, instead of touting "RW measurements" (and once they're metric, does it matter?), better to brag on LW's MIXED units, and show adding meters, inches, mm, and feet together in one dialog, incidentally demo'ing the slick trick of doing math IN the numeric fields. (Is that common yet?)

Just show what the tool is good at, and hope you're not overtaken in the next six months.

+++++++++

Anyway, sorry for the derail-- I too would like to know what experienced users of the competition are impressed by.

tonyrizo2003
12-08-2014, 10:23 PM
I would never do comparisons. I just want to do tutorials that people would find interesting, even people who don't use LW.

If I were you I would post tutorials of things that you like to do, or you can maybe break down one of your favorite animations, those are always interesting to see.

You might want to think about the range of tutorial you would like to make.

Beginner, intermediate, advanced?

Just some thoughts.

vector
12-08-2014, 11:06 PM
I agree about avoiding comparisons. Something that other soft users like is the weightmaps versatility in LW

-EsHrA-
12-09-2014, 04:31 AM
the community.

jasonwestmas
12-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Definitely show off the what you really like when using LW there are quite a lot things for me. Obviously this has a lot to do with how your own personal methodology and workflow is and it won't work for everyone.

I think for new users there are a lot of things that get smaller projects done more quickly which is also why this app. is favored in smaller groups.

ianr
12-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Lightwave is unqiue because all the selfless hours of help
& encouragement given freely by lots of talented forum
members to others questions & cries of help.When the
Amiga platform self destructed the spirit of the Amigians
was healthly living in this said forum, in all its kindness.
That is the jewel in the crown of Lightwave!

P.S. Lightwaves' got the best parachute into 'Smart Help'
outthere with this forum,tuck that into a plugin if you can!

ivanze
12-09-2014, 08:04 AM

Well said!!

prometheus
12-09-2014, 08:05 AM

that is true, but I would say that is something not relative to the software and a discussion of what impresses people about lightwave,thatīs about stuff around lightwave and not lightwave itself, so I am not sure
that should qualify as being a valid topic for "what impresses people about lightwavef"

In fact..in someway it sounds bad when you are proned to say...whatīs good about lightwave, and comes up with the lw community, that said..doesnīt decrease the value of having such nice forum, but discussing it in terms
of whatīs good with Lightwave...I donīt know, depends on how you look at it maybe.

personally...renderquality, renderspeed, and the fact that ligthwave is much easier to set up things and get going fast is what attracted me, and still impresses me compared to what you have to delve in to with many other software in general.

jasonwestmas
12-09-2014, 08:44 AM
I think one of the reasons the forums here are so helpful is because a lot of us don't have Lightwave buddies sitting next to us to ask questions regarding Lightwave. Secondly there are good people around here.

erikals
12-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Gizmo free modeling
Endomorphs (Maya users)
IKBooster (parts of it)
VPR
Plugins are cheap
Community
Cost (or rather, lack of it)
Metric modeling (Maya users, unless that is fixed now)

the number one minus is the split application,
once that is fixed in some way, we'll see more people looking towards LW again...

Kaptive
12-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Not as a tutorial, but I'd love to see a video with someone who is familiar with many packages and see how they all sit together regarding speed, quality and how that relates to cost. As in a test "concept scene" (for example) that uses as many of the modern day features of 3D that are available and how much it would cost to create that concept in all the various packages. The scene would contain hair, dynamics, complex lighting, deformations, character animation, effects, particles, clothing, big crowds, millions of trees and some splashing water..... a pretty complex scene.

Lightwave would bottleneck at the hair part, particles out the box are ok, but we have turbulence... so options. Clothing is fine in LW. Big crowds... not so sure, and it depends what they are doing (can LW use Massive?). Trees and instancing is native, so fine there too. Water... well I guess native we have HV, which doesn't really cut it. We can do things in Blender and import. But Realwave works with LW too I think, so no limits there... but it costs.

I main in LW, and have only used other packages lightly. Who has the time and money to know them all? Someone might, who knows! But anyway, I've always been under the impression that for many of the things I take for granted in Lightwave, on Autodesk products (at least) you will probably end up paying a fair bit of money for... as in, there are a lot more 3rd party solutions, and you have to buy things to extend functionality.

Where Lightwave suffers is probably in the 3rd party department. LW covers so many things that there isn't much room for extras, and because there isn't much room for development, and a smaller userbase (? I assume) then we have to rely on LW3DGroup more. An example of this is our solutions for doing hair. We have FiberFX and an aging sasquatch. 3D Max on the other hand has several 3rd party solutions to this. But they can get pricey, 500-900 dollars for hair alone. Plus the package price is over three and a half thousand pounds, so that plus extras... you better make sure it pays. LW you can take more chances.

So it's a double edged sword. The stand out features of Lightwave are probably more the fact that you can do some pretty amazing stuff straight out of the box.

Sorry this has been a bit of a stream of conciousness and a bit off topic really :) .

jeric_synergy
12-09-2014, 09:49 AM
"Someone who is familiar with many packages" probably is very much in demand, and wouldn't have time.

And 3rd party: my impression is that not enough of the application was "exposed" in the SDK, which made things more difficult than strictly necessary for 3rd party devs.

Mr_Q
12-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Free tacos.

Waves of light
12-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Just adding to (and in some cases, agreeing to) what has already been said...

1. No hidden costs.

You get what you pay for. You create stuff, you animate stuff, you render stuff. And yes, there are free and paid for plugins that will make this process easier, but you can do it all for the price you paid. Which leads to...

2. Cost

Blender aside, Lightwave works for me because it allowed me to add new skills to my portfolio, for a relatively small hit.

3. I purchase, I own

I suppose this isn't really what made me go down the Lightwave route in the beginning, but sort of what keeps me here. I want to pay for my software, my upgrades and own that software outright.

4. Community

There just isn't another forum, that I personally know of, that is so open and helpful to others. We make sure newbies are welcome and empowered from the off. We seek ways to better our workflows, without fear of abuse or ridicule. And we have access to some of the top LW users in the world.

Just my opinions.

Nicolas Jordan
12-09-2014, 10:43 AM
LWCAD! :thumbsup:

Kaptive
12-09-2014, 10:56 AM
"Someone who is familiar with many packages" probably is very much in demand, and wouldn't have time.

And 3rd party: my impression is that not enough of the application was "exposed" in the SDK, which made things more difficult than strictly necessary for 3rd party devs.

Yeah, forgot that one... good point. There are also past problems that dirtied the water too, which don't need going over again as it is long ago now. I'm hoping this "under the hood" work will open up a little more of the guts to 3rd party in the coming year or two... even if it's just to allow bolt on solutions to things like hair (for example... :) ...not that I'm pushing for hair as a personal high priority ;) Nope, not at all.

Hair.

ncr100
12-09-2014, 02:54 PM
... the spirit of the Amigians

<3 almost like they were space aliens <3

- - - - -

Free tacos.

http://goo.gl/BhBdlB - not this kind.

bobakabob
12-09-2014, 03:10 PM
VPR
Renderer
Nodal texturing
Improved animation tools e.g Genoma
Awesome plugins like LWCad, 3rd Powers, many free
Community

Surrealist.
12-09-2014, 03:12 PM
On the Layout side the thing that impresses me the most are what people are doing with Nodes. Not just texturing. But a demo of plugins from Denis would be very eye opening alone. And a lot of people who use LightWave already would also find this useful. There are a lot of powerful things you can do with Nodes and node plugins.