PDA

View Full Version : Pb with Spline control

THIBAULT
12-08-2014, 04:56 AM
I have a problem with the Spline Control. I need to keep the camera on a spline and when it comes to the cardinal points, the null " CamParent" rotates 180 degrees. Anyone have an idea?
The stage is attached, thank you in advance.

jeric_synergy
12-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Is your spline constructed of Nulls? Or is it a Curve?

If you use Curve>>Null (name?), you should be able to control rotation on a node-by-node basis.

THIBAULT
12-09-2014, 12:55 AM
Hi Eric and thank !
Yes, it's curve. I control all nodes and it's OK, no rotation.
I'm looking for what's happen.
I see that this is null " ControlAnimCam " which rotated at a time . But if I change from 180 to 0, there is a problem and Spline control path no longer works.

lertola2
12-09-2014, 05:57 AM
I am not sure why the camera is flipping. You can fix the problem in this case by adding a null to use as a pole item for the camera above the spline path (motion options, pole item).

THIBAULT
12-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Thanks Joe,
I solved the problem by applying a 180 on the bones involved. Less elegant than your solution but it works . thank you again

jeric_synergy
12-09-2014, 09:16 AM
I am not sure why the camera is flipping. You can fix the problem in this case by adding a null to use as a pole item for the camera above the spline path (motion options, pole item).
I didn't load the scene, but since you reference 'pole item', is there IK involved?

Anytime there is too much automatic control one risks behaviour along these lines, since one doesn't have control over how the math was implemented.

lertola2
12-09-2014, 10:03 AM
There was no IK. I just suggested using a pole item to keep the camera upright even though the spline control wanted to filp it over. I have had a few struggles with spline control where the spline control ribbon flips over and wrinkles up in unexpected ways. I am still not 100% clear on how to set up the spline nodes to get smoothly flowing results in all cases. Sometimes it seems fine but other times the ribbon gets twisted in weird ways that are hard to fix. In this case the ribbon did not flip over but the camera that was traveling along it did. That is another puzzle.

jeric_synergy
12-09-2014, 10:49 AM
I thought all that was addressable, if not explainable, if one didn't rely on a Curve embedded, but translated them to nulls/bones/whatev . :stumped: