PDA

View Full Version : Mapping a video to a polygon help

Animapper
12-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to map a video on a polygon in Lightwave 11.6. I did this years ago on a concert set that had a stage and a back screen where I played a quicktime video. I can't remember how I did it (guess this grey matter is losing some memory hooks, lol). This also makes me wonder what kind of movie file can be prepared for this sort of thing. Can we use .mp4 or what will work? Are there file type restrictions? I'm on windows 8.1 64 bit.

I searched the forums and online but perhaps my search types are incorrect as I have yet to turn up anything.

Thanks for any help!

Dean

prometheus
12-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to map a video on a polygon in Lightwave 11.6. I did this years ago on a concert set that had a stage and a back screen where I played a quicktime video. I can't remember how I did it (guess this grey matter is losing some memory hooks, lol). This also makes me wonder what kind of movie file can be prepared for this sort of thing. Can we use .mp4 or what will work? Are there file type restrictions? I'm on windows 8.1 64 bit.

I searched the forums and online but perhaps my search types are incorrect as I have yet to turn up anything.

Thanks for any help!

Dean

64 bit lightwave version do not support quicktime, try with 32 bit version, however...lightwave 2015 has newer support for that, but I havenīt tried it.
if you download from youtube mp4, change extension filename to mov, and you should be able to play it in lightwave, set your clip to sequence the image editor...it is often set to still by default.

but it is recomended that you convert to image sequences ..such as png or tga...then you donīt have to worry about quicktime support in the different versions.

Animapper
12-07-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm not stuck with quicktime at all. As a matter of fact, I'd much rather not use quicktime. I tried to import a .mov file in the image editor but it doesn't support any .mov or .mp4 or others either. Where should the video be imported? through what mechanism? Perhaps I'm just missing how to get the video into lightwave...

bazsa73
12-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Yes but mov is quicktime. I would render out a jpeg sequence, that will work for sure.

Ma3rk
12-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to map a video on a polygon in Lightwave 11.6. I did this years ago on a concert set that had a stage and a back screen where I played a quicktime video. I can't remember how I did it (guess this grey matter is losing some memory hooks, lol).Dean

I know that my wetware has dried out in a few spots as well, but I know I used to be able to do this in 9.6. Just tested .mov, .mp4, and .avi in 64-bit 11.6.2 and the requestor complained about all of them.

As others have mentioned, convert to an image sequence and all should be happy.

M.

prometheus
12-07-2014, 02:23 PM
no problems loading mov format in lightwave 2015 64 bit mov format, downloaded from youtube, but mp4 extension wonīt work as I mentioned before, you have to rename extension to mov as I said, and it should work.
also ..try install quicktime to get codecs installed right.

in 11.6 it works with 32 bit the same way.

prometheus
12-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm not stuck with quicktime at all. As a matter of fact, I'd much rather not use quicktime. I tried to import a .mov file in the image editor but it doesn't support any .mov or .mp4 or others either. Where should the video be imported? through what mechanism? Perhaps I'm just missing how to get the video into lightwave...

image editor is the right way to import, so I wonder why you can not load it, try download some of my short clips from youtube and rename extension to mov, and it should load, but it might be that you need to install quicktime to get the proper codecs.
quicktime is free and you do not need the pro version.

ccclarke
12-07-2014, 02:27 PM
I just finished doing an animation in LW 11.6 using a video (mpeg) which is planar-mapped to a screen on a console. No need to do it with frames (though you can.)

Name the surface of the polygon you wish to use as the display ("Display" for example.) In the Surface Editor, select the image map in the Texture Editor (within the color channel for the named surface) and load the image (or in this case the video file.) Identify the axis the texture is to be projected onto and use automatic sizing. That's it!

Be sure to place the video file in the Images folder.

CC C

Animapper
12-07-2014, 03:06 PM
I don't use the 32 bit version right now so that's why I'm getting the same errors Ma3rk is getting. As far as Quicktime goes, I've got the pro version and many additional codec plugins for it (my software development days).

- - - Updated - - -

Hey CCClarke... thanks. Are you using 64bit Lightwave 11.6?

prometheus
12-07-2014, 03:38 PM
I don't use the 32 bit version right now so that's why I'm getting the same errors Ma3rk is getting. As far as Quicktime goes, I've got the pro version and many additional codec plugins for it (my software development days).

- - - Updated - - -

Hey CCClarke... thanks. Are you using 64bit Lightwave 11.6?

after effects or other comp programs, load the mov and save out as image sequences, fusion is now free..so why not try that?

otherwise quicktime pro might be able to go to save as and choose image sequence?

and you can open lightwave 32 and load the mov file, use as backdrop and render out as image sequences, if you set the camera to the same resolution as the clip...a bit of a workaround...and that assumes you have installed lightwave 32, but I reckon you havent.

Animapper
12-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks much prometheus, really appreciate the insight. I went ahead and did an image sequence in QT pro. This is kind of surprising that this is difficult to do in ver 11.6. Does anyone know what LW 2015 CAN work with? Is there a list of .containers as well as codecs supported? Haven't made the move to LW 2015 as too many projects are currently in the pipeline with deadlines I can't risk. I also have quite a few plugins I'll need to check - alas, looks like a good Christmas break project!

Sensei
12-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Codecs are installed in your system, not in app. Application is just using general AVI API in Windows OS. And what you will have installed, it'll be used.

Image sequence is the only reliable way for handling such things.