PDA

View Full Version : Axes indication in Modeler perspective possible ?

madno
12-07-2014, 02:33 AM
Hi,

is there a way to show an axes indicator in the perspective view of Modeler somehow?
Something like I simulated in the screenshot?
The grid axes characteres are out of view most of the time for me.

MSherak
12-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Not that I know of.

Lewis
12-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Sadly but no. You can only have Grid axis displyed on but in this case it's hidden below your object since it's not HUD item.

madno
12-08-2014, 12:15 AM
What a pity.
I'll make feature request then.

jeric_synergy
12-08-2014, 01:42 AM
The grid axes characteres are out of view most of the time for me.
I've been b|tching about this for, as usual, years: the labels should NEVER leave the viewport.

It's ridiculous. :devil:

Oedo 808
12-08-2014, 03:27 AM
Where do you chaps find this comes in most useful, symmetrical modelling?

Lewis
12-08-2014, 03:40 AM
Where do you chaps find this comes in most useful, symmetrical modelling?

when working in perspective view only/full screen.

Oedo 808
12-08-2014, 03:52 AM
Is that because of its interactive use? I like the Unity one where you can click on it to snap the perspective view to a particular axis, or toggle ortho on/off.

But in regards to orientation, do you not find what you are working on provides that?

Surrealist.
12-08-2014, 04:04 AM
I find I rely on it quite often for various reasons and situations. For example I might be working on a complex model and UV maps. To find an area on the model that is the source of a section of UV, I will select it in the UV window and then center it in the 3D window. In the case that the object has many similar parts I might be zoomed in real tight and looking at something. A quick glance at the indicator will tell me if I am right side up or upside down etc. I have a model for example that is an aircraft cockpit. The instrument paneling on the top and bottom are very similar. When I get tumbling around in perspective it is easy to get lost. Just one example.

Every4thPixel
12-08-2014, 06:25 AM
I miss it the most in layout.

Sensei
12-08-2014, 06:28 AM
It can be made as 3rd party plugin either in Modeler and Layout.

Oedo 808
12-08-2014, 08:10 AM
I find I rely on it quite often for various reasons and situations. For example I might be working on a complex model and UV maps. To find an area on the model that is the source of a section of UV, I will select it in the UV window and then center it in the 3D window. In the case that the object has many similar parts I might be zoomed in real tight and looking at something. A quick glance at the indicator will tell me if I am right side up or upside down etc. I have a model for example that is an aircraft cockpit. The instrument paneling on the top and bottom are very similar. When I get tumbling around in perspective it is easy to get lost. Just one example.

Well, if you've used it in the past to good effect then of course no reason not to have the option, was just surprised that it was useful to anyone. I've never found it much use in any other application (apart from the interactivity I mentioned) but who knows, I might pick up some habits from having it in Modeler.

spherical
12-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Without having tried this (I have five Solar System Ornament sets to pack for shipping to Canada before the mail carrier shows up) wouldn't the Transform Tool indicate this? When nothing is selected, everything is selected, so it should show up somewhere; although I guess that it would then be at the center of the model, which may be off-screen, so selecting something on-screen may be better. Open it, check your coordinates, close it without interacting with it. If that works, it may be possible to make a clone of it that doesn't interact with anything, so you don't accidentally Bork your model.

jeric_synergy
12-08-2014, 02:30 PM
IMO it's rather pointless to have labels that are consistently not visible, or concealed much of the time. Rather makes them useless.

MSherak
12-08-2014, 05:33 PM
I think 3D, so when I model I know where I am.. I don't even use them in Maya. Just a distraction for me personally. And yes Spherical if you use the Transform tool and place it in the world it will show the axis. Though you have to use my modified one to get the axis correct. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144726-New-look-and-functions-to-Modeler-s-Transform-gizmo&p=1412617&viewfull=1#post1412617

and Sensei looks like something to add to the plugin list.. ;)

-M

jeric_synergy
12-08-2014, 05:36 PM
It's lame, and shouldn't be necessary, but sometimes I've added an orientation Curve to an object if it's a problem. Curves of course are not rendered, so I don't need to hide it.

Or, a 3-way arrow in 2point polys, with a Surface that won't render.

But, wouldn't have to if the darn labels stayed visible.

spherical
12-08-2014, 07:11 PM
I think 3D, so when I model I know where I am..

Heh, so do I, but many times in wireframe on a complex model, especially when zoomed in close, the illusions is that I have inadvertently turned the model around and am looking at it from what just a few seconds ago was the "other side". In order to regain my bearings, I have to zoom back out to see that I am where I should be but it didn't look like I was.

Surrealist.
12-09-2014, 02:59 AM
I think it is needed at the very basic level. That is why it is there in the first place. Just needs to be updated from the olden days. I don't think it has changed since the first version I ever saw 20 years ago. And if this is something that could be coded as a script or plugin, add to the list of the many many little things that get overlooked as "unimportant".