PDA

View Full Version : FADE tool: changing the impact of the last operation applied

jeric_synergy
12-06-2014, 12:54 PM
repost for context
FADE tool

HEY, I just had a strange/silly idea: how about a "FADE" tool?

It would take the last previous transformation and apply it in a GRADIENT fashion.
Now, the terminology is a bit borked, but stick with me:

0% of "FADE" is like UNDO
50% of "FADE" is like "undo that and do it again but only half as much"
100% does NOTHING. nuhhhhhTHING
200% is "keep traveling/rotating/scaling in the same direction but twice as much"
-100% is "go the OPPOSITE direction/spin/sizing"

That would be an odd little tool, no? What else could it do?

(BTW, precedence for this is in the PSHop "Fade Filter" tool, which allows you to reduce the effect of a filter AFTER it's been applied, although in LWM it would allow you to reverse and/or increase the effect applied.)

Sensei
12-06-2014, 01:55 PM
This could be implemented as 3rd party plugin.
Automatic only in non-interactive form.

or interactive if user will press "Store State" button (scanning current mesh), then using some transform tool,
and then pressing "Fade" interactive tool.
Current state of mesh then can be blend with what is stored in database by "Store" tool.

jeric_synergy
12-06-2014, 03:41 PM
The last state of the mesh is saved in the UNDO buffer. The last state of the last Tool seems to be saved. Are those sufficient to create a FADE function? Is the IDENTITY of the last Tool saved? 'Cuz you need to know what operation displaced the points or it's all "endomorphs move in straight lines" again.

Personally, I doubt there's any money in it for a 3rd party dev, but I think it would be an interesting tool. I'm not that familiar with other modelers, but I've never heard of this capability.

Sensei
12-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Interactive 3rd party tools can't look up undo mesh, but non-interactive can.

Another option is to make morph, then transform. Then blend between morph and base..
Or between morph, base and previous-base (double undo) and make it non-linear.

jeric_synergy
12-06-2014, 03:54 PM
That would work for translations, but not for Rotations.

Sensei
12-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Of course it would work with any transformations (when only vertex positions are changing and no polygons added/removed).
So rotations would work.
But blending between -180 degree and +180 degree rotation simply wouldn't be nice effect ;)

jeric_synergy
12-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Well, it would 'work', as in 'do something'. But it wouldn't be like rotating 47 instead of 90. Which is what I'm suggesting might be useful.

---Just me and Sensei on this? Sheesh.