PDA

View Full Version : LW2015 Match Perspective tutorial

Snosrap
12-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Hey everybody this is my feeble attempt at doing a tut on the Match Perspective feature in LW2015. It's a really nice feature and I was able to meet a client's needs with very little fuss. Sorry about the crappy sound, I should probably get a real mic although I'm not a very good speaker anyway so maybe I should stick to silent tuts. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci4_ar0S7mk&feature=youtu.be

Jarno
12-06-2014, 02:19 AM
You don't have to place the corners of the direction lines on the corners of the object. It really only cares about the position and direction of the lines, not how long or short they are. So you can avoid those overlapping corners.

Also, the "Frame Size" lock refers to the "Frame" setting in the camera panel, not the resolution. If you are using a photo, chances are the EXIF data will have the focal length information in it, so you'd set the focal length in the camera panel to that and lock it. It will then tweak the combination of zoom factor and frame size to fit the perspective amount.

---JvdL---

Snosrap
12-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Good to know. Thanks. The image provided to me had no meta data so I guess I could have left the lock drop down alone?

SteveH
12-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Tim - thanks for the tutorial. Your sounds was ok - you shouldn't worry so much about it.

jeric_synergy
12-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Please don't do silent tutorials, they are maddening to follow. I'd rather view a tutorial in Portuguese or Mandarin than a silent tutorial.

Jarno
12-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Good to know. Thanks. The image provided to me had no meta data so I guess I could have left the lock drop down alone?

You could. Locking the focal length or locking the fame size will give the same perspective amount. Where the choice becomes important is if you need to match depth of field. Then you need to know what the original focal length or frame size was.

---JvdL---

realgray
12-06-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm really concerned for the lack of official LW videos for LW 2015. I would have expected at least some simple walkthroughs. Not getting good vibes with this cycle.

PS. But thank you Snosrap for stepping up.

Snosrap
12-06-2014, 08:13 PM
You could. Locking the focal length or locking the fame size will give the same perspective amount. Where the choice becomes important is if you need to match depth of field. Then you need to know what the original focal length or frame size was.---JvdL---

Thanks again for your enlightenment Jarno!

- - - Updated - - -

Please don't do silent tutorials, they are maddening to follow. I'd rather view a tutorial in Portuguese or Mandarin than a silent tutorial.
:) Yeah I know what you mean. :)

Snosrap
12-06-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm really concerned for the lack of official LW videos for LW 2015. I would have expected at least some simple walkthroughs. Not getting good vibes with this cycle.

PS. But thank you Snosrap for stepping up.

No problem. I didn't get some of the details right so it's been great getting Jarno's input. :)

sukardi
12-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Tested it out.

Really easy to use and basically just work

Thanks Snosrap...

jeric_synergy
12-06-2014, 11:19 PM
I'm wondering if the LW3dG think we need highly polished, extensive, comprehensive videos? BECAUSE WE DON'T!!! :)

Simple walk-thrus are GREAT, something to get us past our first misconceptions. :thumbsup:

So, Matt, Cody, Jen, Rob: quick, rough blasts are preferable to floundering around in our swamps of ignorance. :stumped:

Snosrap
12-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Hey guys, I thought you might like to see the final product, so here is the link to the website. I had no involvement other than creating the shadow and it looks like for performance issues they cut back on the number of frames I provided. :)

http://www.sauderboutique.com/Home.aspx

ecsegar
07-31-2015, 02:41 PM
Tim, thanks for the tutorial. :)

It's been over 6 months since this thread began and there still are very few newtek tutorials, even Lino's promised ant part 2 has never been added, sorry to *****, but it's very discouraging.

Vong
07-31-2015, 09:42 PM

It's been over 6 months since this thread began and there still are very few newtek tutorials, even Lino's promised ant part 2 has never been added, sorry to *****, but it's very discouraging.

While I'm not the biggest fan of LW3DG's tutorial postings (or lack there-of, and don't get me started on the Octane stuff! :D), both ant tutorials were posted AFAIK...

Part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2QHnGvxZRg

Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igFgk3xslgo

Unless there was another one that I missed the first part of.

Snosrap
07-31-2015, 11:59 PM

Not a problem. Hopefully LW2016 will have some more goodies like this. :)

ecsegar
08-01-2015, 07:51 AM
While I'm not the biggest fan of LW3DG's tutorial postings (or lack there-of, and don't get me started on the Octane stuff! :D), both ant tutorials were posted AFAIK...

Part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2QHnGvxZRg

Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igFgk3xslgo

Unless there was another one that I missed the first part of.

Thanks Vong, I should have been clearer, I was referring to the ant video with dynamic bones. he shows us how the bones are dynamic, but there is no second part showing how to set up the antennas, or how to actually use them in animation.

Digital Hermit
08-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Sorry, I know this is kind of old, but how do you "reset" the match perspective tool?

Thanks!

Jarno
08-08-2016, 08:58 PM
With the Match Perspective tool active, press the 'n' key to pop up the settings. There is a Reset button there.

---JvdL---

Digital Hermit
08-09-2016, 05:23 PM
With the Match Perspective tool active, press the 'n' key to pop up the settings. There is a Reset button there.

---JvdL---

Thanks for the quick reply! It was driving me nuts! (and here I thought that working with 3D software was suppose to be a calming exercise)

Best,

jeric_synergy
08-09-2016, 09:04 PM
(and here I thought that working with 3D software was suppose to be a calming exercise)
Best,
Hah! Someone sold you a bill of good there! :thumbsup:

At least in a real machine shop you always have the option of throwing a hammer around. "Here", we don't even get that-- a mouse just doesn't have the same authority.

fishhead
08-11-2016, 04:34 AM
;-) Are there no coffee cups on your desk?

triangle
10-16-2018, 01:49 AM
If I select the camera have a background in my scene and whant to match the camera to the background.
I don't get the lines the OP gets when he pushes the button?!
Is there a step I missed?

( I use LW 2018)

Snosrap
10-16-2018, 06:47 AM
If I select the camera have a background in my scene and whant to match the camera to the background.
I don't get the lines the OP gets when he pushes the button?!
Is there a step I missed?

( I use LW 2018)

With the camera selected press the "Match Perspective" button. The handles will show up then even if you don't have an image loaded in the background. The "Set BG Image" button will set the camera properties to that of the image selected. Sometimes the image doesn't show up, if not just go to F5 and add it as you normally would.

triangle
03-06-2019, 03:08 AM
With the camera selected press the "Match Perspective" button. The handles will show up then even if you don't have an image loaded in the background. The "Set BG Image" button will set the camera properties to that of the image selected. Sometimes the image doesn't show up, if not just go to F5 and add it as you normally would.

Little bit late but thanks for your answer!

The problem was that the VPR must be turned off....