PDA

View Full Version : That 3D Spline Shark Image

rdolishny
12-05-2014, 11:36 AM

Can we all agree that that shark deforming (poorly) along a spline path has go to go from the Lightwave home page and all online pages?

It doesn't even look like anything real, it is severely deformed, and can't demonstrate any technique that anyone could possibly choose to use. The dorsal fin is way too wide. The spine curve isn't even a really nice looking curve. I would refine it to suggest it's flowing through water, not hitting sharp 90 degree curves. It looks very much like a rendering error, or maybe subdivision order was set to first not last... I could pick it apart but I think I made my point.

I've seen some great demos of spline deformers and remember when I first saw this one that it looked like it was a mistake. The fact that it's on the front page obviously bothers me.

/my first rant on the lightwave forum in over 10 years

Greenlaw
12-05-2014, 07:53 PM
I've animated a bunch of sea creatures this past year using a spline path but I didn't use the path to deform them. For realism, it's much better to rig the creature normally and animate it properly along the spline. The spline path does make it easier to control the speed of the creature and the path it takes though its environment. It's also great for aircraft and other things that need smooth, controlled speed.

What the deforming spline path gives you is a shortcut towards making the creature look like it's 'swimming'. No, it's not very realistic but if you're in a pinch, it will do the job.

G.

Vong
12-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I don't think it was meant to be realistic. It's a "monster" shark for one thing, so realistic kinda goes out the window! :)

And the path doesn't make a 90 degree turn, you can see that it's moving upwards.

I don't think the image needs to be removed. The tutorial it's from is done by Lino, who seems to know what he's doing! :D