PDA

View Full Version : lots of text!

sadkkf
12-05-2014, 11:28 AM
I need to model a very long section of code and extrude it ever so slightly, but no matter how I do this, I run into the very frustrating "hole" problem with letters like O and P and e. In the past, I've just boolean-ed the few letters I had and moved on, but with the text I need this time it'll take forever.

FWIW, I've had to paste create an .eps of my code and import that. There's just too much to type one line at a time and too much to load with multi-text.

Any other ideas for getting around this?

jeric_synergy
12-05-2014, 12:11 PM
First guess: make sure it's a REAL render issue and not just the OpenGL representation of the shape. OpenGL fails on many shapes that render fine.

sadkkf
12-05-2014, 12:19 PM
It's real. I have this with all my text.

souzou
12-05-2014, 12:41 PM
What issue do you have with the holes? Here is a section of text quickly brought in as a vector and extruded.

meatycheesyboy
12-05-2014, 01:00 PM
When you import the eps are you making sure 'Auto Axis Drill' is turned on?

souzou
12-05-2014, 01:03 PM
I've often found problems with EPS files for some reason, so I always save out of illustrator as a (v8) .AI and import that.

And yes import as Closed Polygons with Auto AxisDrill checked.

sadkkf
12-05-2014, 01:03 PM
What issue do you have with the holes? Here is a section of text quickly brought in as a vector and extruded.

I'm not near my PC right now, but when I bring in text, the holes in letters like O are solid. There is actually a second piece to the letter the size and shape of the hole, but separate. I need to delete that, then cut the hole out of the O. I'll be home in a few hours and can post a sample.

sadkkf
12-05-2014, 01:13 PM
@meatycheesyboy I'll need to double-check this. If it's really that easy I am going to kick myself. :)

sadkkf
12-05-2014, 04:56 PM
This is what I'm seeing:

That's a snippet from a large block I created as text in Illustrator. It was saved as an Illustrator 8 .eps file and simply imported with Super Fine settings. Not Autoaxis drill.

Enabling Autoaxis drill fixes this. Can't believe it was right there. Really wish I could spend more time with this instead of my job. :)

Thanks everyone for pointing out the obvious.

JoePoe
12-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Does anyone know of another viable eps import option? Is saving a vector file as Illustrator 8 eps really the only way to go?
What if I want off the Adobe ride? Does that leave me with nothing?

ernpchan
12-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Svg is an open source file format. Perhaps LightWave should support it.

jeric_synergy
12-09-2014, 11:40 PM
What else supports eps export?

ernpchan
12-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Maybe inkscape?
https://inkscape.org/en/

Just not sure if it'll save an eps that's compatible with Modeler.

Wickedpup
12-10-2014, 02:06 AM
How about doing the text in the free version of Fusion and exporting the geometry to LW? Geometry looks like crap, lots of triangles, but renders fine, and you can adjust extrusion and add a bevel in Fusion if you want to.

Baba
12-10-2014, 02:58 AM
I just did a quick test with an eps out of inkscape. No luck, modeler doesn't load it. Maybe I didn't get all out and input parameters right ...
it would be nice if LW supported svg files.

Skonk
12-10-2014, 02:58 AM
Lightwave could certainly use a better set of text tools but it's odd that no third party has stepped up with a plugin.

spherical
12-10-2014, 03:03 AM
IMO, geometry looks fine; not "like crap" at all. It's all tris, not N-Gons; which many applications don't support. When you have large radii intersecting flat polys, that's what you get. As long as it's accurate, I don't care much how it looks as a wireframe when it imports. This what you get if you export LWO to OBJ or STL. After import, I can Merge Polys to my heart's content; making N-Gons of them.

gerry_g
12-10-2014, 04:30 AM
see image

safetyman
12-10-2014, 05:17 AM
How about the "plugin" Blender? It supports whole paragraphs of text (that can be beveled, extruded, etc.) that remain completely editable, with kerning, line spacing, font, you name it. You can convert the text to a mesh when you're done and export it as an .obj for LW. Great LW plugin.

Just an option you might consider.

BTW... Blender has no issues with SVG files and brings those in as Bezier curves.

Every4thPixel
12-10-2014, 08:45 AM
I usually make my text in Fusion if LW fails. You can export it as FBX. Beveling edges works great in Fusion.

JoePoe
12-10-2014, 04:18 PM
**To be clear my hijack :) was about vector graphics/artwork in general, not just text.**
As far as the text question goes, Meatycheesyboy (love that name) and the rest were right on it with Axis Drill.

Thank you SAFETYMAN!. That will do it. For now, I guess, I can live with reconstituting the triangulated polys..... unless I'm missing a Blender output setting/format that saves just the ngons?????? One of these days I'm going to go to Blender as a "plugin" and just stay there 8~.

The question still remains though. What is so freakin' special about an Illustrator 8 EPS???
According to this random web find (https://bortonia.wordpress.com/tips-and-tricks/explaining-illustrator-8-0-eps-files/), the BIG difference can be seen in the first line of code "%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0" vs. "%!PS-Adobe-3.1 EPSF-3.0".
So basically 3.0 is friendly and 3.1 (and beyond?) doesn't play well with others.

Problem: All the EPSs I've been experimenting with are generated as 3.0..... just not in Illustrator.
Maybe one of you brilliant folks will spot another line or two that can be tweaked in a text editor :hey:.

tonyrizo2003
12-10-2014, 04:25 PM
well why do it in Blender if you have Photoshop CC?

JoePoe
12-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Won't Photoshop save an eps as raster?
Might as well go Illustrator CC.

Point is....

1) Why is the magic format something from 1998???
2) Regardless....I want off the Adobe train :hey:.

Dexter2999
12-10-2014, 04:47 PM
"What's so special about Illustrator 8 EPS?"

Well, Adobe created the Encapsulated Post Script, (EPS), format as a common ground for fonts to exist in the world of printers. It stopped different companies and manufacturers from trotting out endless variations and provided a common ground for most everyone.

There was a video posted a few months back about Adobe. I'll repost a link http://vimeo.com/95415863

What is particular to version 8 is that, to my knowledge, it was the last version before Adobe began inserting information that was application specific into the file. When you are transporting the EPS to other propgrams for other uses, that app. specific information is extraneous and begins to muck things up.

At least that is my understanding of things.

Adobe wasn't always a resented software giant pushing people into software subscription schemes just to crank out money. They used to be genuine pioneers. And their products are good, I just don't believe they are good enough to pay for perpetually.

Hope this helps.

gerry_g
12-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Won't Photoshop save an eps as raster? –

Photoshop has an 'Export path to Illustrator' command which will export a PS vector/shape layer as a path that is natively readable by Lightwave (need to be in the paths side of the layers pallet and the path you want to export has to be selected), this has been in there like forever

"What's so special about Illustrator 8 EPS?" –

The Chines graphics industry runs almost exclusively on cracked copies of Illustrator Eight, Adobe safeguards its property by changing its native output format to something new to thwart them (fat chance), bet the main reason LW does not accept anything newer would be down to licensing and cost, old one is free AFAIK

Dexter2999
12-10-2014, 06:14 PM
How about the "plugin" Blender? It supports whole paragraphs of text (that can be beveled, extruded, etc.) that remain completely editable, with kerning, line spacing, font, you name it. You can convert the text to a mesh when you're done and export it as an .obj for LW. Great LW plugin.

Just saw this http://vimeo.com/113610809 another reason Blender is the ultimate LW plugin.

JoePoe
12-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Kinda figured it was a lock down thing on Adobe's part. Not gonna be my problem much longer :hey:.

Thanks. Yeah ... I know about export paths to Ill. But I really prefer to do all that kind of work in a vector program.
And I've had some issues with the exported paths (yes completed closed paths) coming in not filled (yes, I have "Closed polys...." checked).

Your second thought never occurred to me ;D.

I still think it's rather hilarious that I open free Blender and it says "SVG? Sure! Gimme what ya got. I'll even keep it editable for ya."
And I try to import into LW and it scratches it's head and says "Sooooo, do you have anything from 16 years ago?"

Hey Gerry.... you're on Mac. Have you seen Affinity Designer (https://affinity.serif.com)? Maybe not as fully flushed out as Illustrator at this point, but at one year old it's pretty dang close! :thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
12-10-2014, 06:54 PM
I still think it's rather hilarious that I open free Blender and it says "SVG? Sure! Gimme what ya got. I'll even keep it editable for ya."
And I try to import into LW and it scratches it's head and says "Sooooo, do you have anything from 16 years ago?"
Yes...... "hilarious"....... :devil:

djwaterman
12-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Just saw this http://vimeo.com/113610809 another reason Blender is the ultimate LW plugin.

What did I just watch? How is this possible? Must investigate, that one feature is like a whole separate program.

jeric_synergy
12-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Must investigate, that one feature is like a whole separate program.
Which one?

HOLY SCHNIZZLE!

realgray
12-11-2014, 01:27 AM
What did I just watch? How is this possible? Must investigate, that one feature is like a whole separate program.

I'd battle Blender's UI to get a hold of that. Looks amazing.

safetyman
12-11-2014, 05:16 AM
Blender's UI isn't that difficult once you understand how it works. The Grease Pencil tool is incredible -- you can draw on top of geometry, convert the strokes to a mesh, annotate tutorials, lay out animation sequences, use the strokes as a means to place objects (grease scatter), etc. A few plugins even use it as a tool to generate topology.

Thank you SAFETYMAN!. That will do it. For now, I guess, I can live with reconstituting the triangulated polys..... unless I'm missing a Blender output setting/format that saves just the ngons?????? One of these days I'm going to go to Blender as a "plugin" and just stay there 8~.

In Blender, you can convert tris to quads by selecting every thing (hitting the "a" key), then using ALT-J. It doesn't always convert all the tris, but it works very well. You can also convert whole groups of polys to ngons by selecting them (say, one letter in your text) and pressing the "f" key.

The question still remains though. What is so freakin' special about an Illustrator 8 EPS???
According to this random web find (https://bortonia.wordpress.com/tips-and-tricks/explaining-illustrator-8-0-eps-files/), the BIG difference can be seen in the first line of code "%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0" vs. "%!PS-Adobe-3.1 EPSF-3.0".
So basically 3.0 is friendly and 3.1 (and beyond?) doesn't play well with others.

Problem: All the EPSs I've been experimenting with are generated as 3.0..... just not in Illustrator.
Maybe one of you brilliant folks will spot another line or two that can be tweaked in a text editor :hey:.

The newest versions of Illustrator's format are based on .PDF format, so you could actually change the ".ai" to ".pdf" and open it in Acrobat. Doesn't help with getting it into LW, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

JoePoe
12-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Blender's UI isn't that difficult once you understand how it works.

In Blender, you can convert tris to quads by selecting every thing (hitting the "a" key), then using ALT-J. It doesn't always convert all the tris, but it works very well. You can also convert whole groups of polys to ngons by selecting them (say, one letter in your text) and pressing the "f" key.

Definitely going to give Blender some more time!

As far as the tri/ngon thing goes. Everything is great in Blender. Comes in fine...as ngons with editable splines. Its the transfer to LW that's the (small-ish) issue. Saving as obj or collada triples the mesh. So I guess my question is... can I export LWOs? I see I can import. Do I need a plug or something?

safetyman
12-11-2014, 02:48 PM
You could try FBX. If you don't have that option, you'll have to activate it in the user preferences, addons section. I don't think .obj supports ngons, but I'm not sure.

squarewulf
12-11-2014, 04:14 PM
If you have After Effects and Element 3D you could convert your text into an OBJ that way. It leaves it in all quads and has no holes. I use E3D everytime I need 3D text.