PDA

View Full Version : New look and functions to Modeler's Transform gizmo

MSherak
12-04-2014, 08:23 PM
So many don't know that modeler has a new tool since 11.5 called Transform. It is the Move, Rotate, Scale, Scale Axis wrapped all into one viewport gizmo handle. Allowing you to define any point, polygon, edge or center as a defined plane for it's functions. (page 1347 in the Lightwave2015.pdf) From those that have used it say it gets unusable at small sizes since it inherits the size of the item in selected for it's functions. I have created a new version that makes more sense on how the tool functions and also should work better at smaller size edits. Here is the list of changes to the Gizmo.

Axis Lines:
1) Lengthened the size of the axis lines.
2) Increase the size of the end cone.
3) Added a smaller end cone to the other side of the axis lines. (smaller represents negative)

Rotation Arcs:
1) Added another arc handle 180 from the original.
2) Added colored elipses to connect the arcs. (also selectable and highlights)
3) Color coated the arcs to the relative axis they rotate around. (original is not this way which is confusing)

Scale Axis Boxes:
1) Sized up and moved the axis scale boxes.

Plane Axis:
1) Moved them to the outside of the gizmo center.
2) Changed them to squares to represent a plane.
3) Added colored lines to show which two axis it will move along. (also selectable and highlights)

Scale All Box:
1) Increase the size.

Now to use this new look, make a backup of the one that shipped with Lightwave incase you don't like the new look. It should be located in <Lightwave Dir>\support\gizmos\transform.lwo. Just replace the object and you are good to go. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

-M

tonyrizo2003
12-04-2014, 09:05 PM
How very cool, yes I really like this tool. In fact I have it mapped to my "t" for move shortcut (ala Larry [RIP])

Lewis
12-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Yes i also don't like native one (too small/crowded) particularly so i have my, great thing is that it's user changeable so kudos for DEVs to make it that way.

Thanks for sharing your version.

Here is my.

battery555
12-05-2014, 03:22 AM
This amazing MSherak! Sorry, a little sidetracked, do you know how to increase the font size of the UI. I really got hard time reading them.

jboudreau
12-05-2014, 04:31 AM
So many don't know that modeler has a new tool since 11.5 called Transform. It is the Move, Rotate, Scale, Scale Axis wrapped all into one viewport gizmo handle. Allowing you to define any point, polygon, edge or center as a defined plane for it's functions. (page 1347 in the Lightwave2015.pdf) From those that have used it say it gets unusable at small sizes since it inherits the size of the item in selected for it's functions. I have created a new version that makes more sense on how the tool functions and also should work better at smaller size edits. Here is the list of changes to the Gizmo.

Axis Lines:
1) Lengthened the size of the axis lines.
2) Increase the size of the end cone.
3) Added a smaller end cone to the other side of the axis lines. (smaller represents negative)

Rotation Arcs:
1) Added another arc handle 180 from the original.
2) Added colored elipses to connect the arcs. (also selectable and highlights)
3) Color coated the arcs to the relative axis they rotate around. (original is not this way which is confusing)

Scale Axis Boxes:
1) Sized up and moved the axis scale boxes.

Plane Axis:
1) Moved them to the outside of the gizmo center.
2) Changed them to squares to represent a plane.
3) Added colored lines to show which two axis it will move along. (also selectable and highlights)

Scale All Box:
1) Increase the size.

Now to use this new look, make a backup of the one that shipped with Lightwave incase you don't like the new look. It should be located in <Lightwave Dir>\support\gizmos\transform.lwo. Just replace the object and you are good to go. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

-M

Thanks man, I also posted about this a few days ago. It's awesome that lightwave allows you to model your own custom gizmo. Here's the link to my gizmo if you haven't seen it.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144676-Custom-Transform-Gizmo-in-Modeler

Jason

MarcusM
12-05-2014, 04:38 AM
It's nice but color not tell me which axis it is (x,y,z) and i don't know i which way values growing or decreasing, arrows are on both sides.

pinkmouse
12-05-2014, 04:48 AM
One thing that really annoyed me, and meant I gave up with the original Transform tool, was that if you hit A, (or Shift A), to fit the selected object onscreen whilst using it, it defaulted to the plane/edge/point you were using as a guide, not the actual object you wanted to manipulate.

Does it do the same in 2015?

Andy Webb
12-05-2014, 06:26 AM
Hi MSherak, that's just great, I gave up on the transform tool, just didn't like the way it worked but this works great :D:thumbsup:

Thanks

Lewis
12-05-2014, 06:43 AM
One thing that really annoyed me, and meant I gave up with the original Transform tool, was that if you hit A, (or Shift A), to fit the selected object onscreen whilst using it, it defaulted to the plane/edge/point you were using as a guide, not the actual object you wanted to manipulate.

Does it do the same in 2015?

I've reported that problem back then and it's fixed in 2015 ;). Zoom to selected just wasn't working into sysncmesh system before (11.5/11.6), now it works fine in 2015.

Andy Webb
12-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Unfortunately if you are working on a really small object the gizmo stops working.

Fortunately for me I rarely work that small.

pinkmouse
12-05-2014, 07:32 AM
I've reported that problem back then and it's fixed in 2015 ;). Zoom to selected just wasn't working into sysncmesh system before (11.5/11.6), now it works fine in 2015.

That's good to know. Ta

jboudreau
12-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately if you are working on a really small object the gizmo stops working.

Does it stop working on a small object in version 2015?

I know the gizmo I modeled had no problems with objects small. I'm pretty sure It would work on an object as small as 200um. I'll double check and let you guys know

Thanks,
Jason

MSherak
12-05-2014, 10:49 AM
This amazing MSherak! Sorry, a little sidetracked, do you know how to increase the font size of the UI. I really got hard time reading them.

To change the whole UI font for Layout or Modeler you have to add to the command line on the launch icon. Add -f"<name of font>@<font size you want>" so for example, -f"[email protected]"

It's nice but color not tell me which axis it is (x,y,z) and i don't know i which way values growing or decreasing, arrows are on both sides.

Can easily be added.. Remember that the inputs when using this tool become relative to the handle.

Hi MSherak, that's just great, I gave up on the transform tool, just didn't like the way it worked but this works great :D:thumbsup:

Thanks

welcome

Does it stop working on a small object in version 2015?

I know the gizmo I modeled had no problems with objects small. I'm pretty sure It would work on an object as small as 200um. I'll double check and let you guys know

Thanks,
Jason

2015 this works at .0002 just fine.

-M

jeric_synergy
12-05-2014, 11:02 AM
@^@ The convention is RGB=XYZ/HPB/XSYSZS.

But you did get that you can make your own, did you not? Add labels to your heart's content. Go crazy.

++++++++++++++++++++
I'm really psyched that the size issue has been fixed -- obviously this is a lot more useful.

#aflw -I dis-recall: are there Falloff options for Transform?

MSherak
12-05-2014, 12:14 PM
ok for some reason can't update the 1st posting I did so here it is..

Updated.

1) Changed the axis so the large cones point down the positive inputs for the tool. (Z flipped from original one)
2) Moved the Plane handles to the axis which makes it cleaner.
3) Labeled the axis with XYZ which they are on the positive input side.

Enjoy,
-M

jeric_synergy
12-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Very nice, MSherak. Thanks for pummeling this thing for the community!

(on editing posts: after some set amount of time/responses, one can no longer edit posts. I'm not sure what it is.)

Surrealist.
12-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Used to be you could edit posts with unlimited time.

They changed it to, I think 5 mins, then with some complaints, I don't know, is it 15 now?

This is a setting that the moderators added to the forum. Other forums the mods have left this alone. I don't want to derail the thread into a debate about that. But there were reasons, the mods made the call.

Anyway, that is why it is this way.

Snosrap
12-09-2014, 07:18 PM
It may just be me but I think it's totally lame software development to have the widget be an accessible 3D object to everyone. The widgets in Layout work pretty good and are tastefully done, but the Modeler Transform widget is just plain ugly IMO. :)

jeric_synergy
12-09-2014, 07:47 PM
It's just you.

Snosrap
12-09-2014, 10:02 PM
:)

brent3d
12-10-2014, 10:01 AM

Updated.

1) Changed the axis so the large cones point down the positive inputs for the tool. (Z flipped from original one)
2) Moved the Plane handles to the axis which makes it cleaner.
3) Labeled the axis with XYZ which they are on the positive input side.

Enjoy,
-M

This is great!

brent3d
12-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Here's is my addition to the Transform Gizmo customization party based on MSherak's earlier post. Should be helpful for those who like Modo's gizmo style and it works just as good:)

Oedo 808
12-10-2014, 01:20 PM
It may just be me but I think it's totally lame software development to have the widget be an accessible 3D object to everyone.

lolwut

The widgets in Layout work pretty good and are tastefully done, but the Modeler Transform widget is just plain ugly IMO. :)

Fair enough if you think that they skanked off a bit on the Modeler one just because you could DIY it, that doesn't make being able to DIY it a bad idea, at least not for me.

OnlineRender
12-10-2014, 01:25 PM
lolwut

Fair enough if you think that they skanked off a bit on the Modeler one just because you could DIY it, that doesn't make being able to DIY it a bad idea, at least not for me.

preset worthy , mind If Archive and share?

brent3d
12-10-2014, 01:58 PM

You can share mine if it will help people. I think being able to customize any feature of a software is a good thing. We customize controls for animation, so why not the actual transform Gizmo?

Oedo 808
12-10-2014, 02:01 PM

Why certainly.

And as Brent says, you should consider sharing his gizmo while you're at it. :D

brent3d
12-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Why certainly.

And as Brent says, you should consider sharing his gizmo while you're at it. :D

Lol... this is a good thing, I can see users making some really fun ones:thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
12-10-2014, 06:26 PM
You can share mine if it will help people. I think being able to customize any feature of a software is a good thing. We customize controls for animation, so why not the actual transform Gizmo?
I think I'm on record as being all in for user definability, and this is a good example.

For that matter, I wish ALL the UI elements, including the cursors, were available for users to alter: 99% of the time they/we wouldn't, but occasionally it'd be nice, ESPECIALLY FOR USERS WITH POOR VISION.

But not so much that I'd request they go out of their way to implement it: just that, if it's EASY, please feel free.

MSherak
12-10-2014, 07:38 PM

I would be honored..

-m

OnlineRender
12-11-2014, 10:32 AM
I would be honored..

-m

http://3dxyz.pro/transform-gizmo/

brent3d
12-11-2014, 12:13 PM
http://3dxyz.pro/transform-gizmo/

Oh! you rock!!:rock: Awesome!

OnlineRender
12-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Oh! you rock!!:rock: Awesome!

no worries I updated the page a little and added DB links ... cheers for the community contribution