PDA

View Full Version : Hotkey to reset tool?

Greenlaw
12-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Hi,

Considering how long I've been using Modeler, I feel like I should know this but: is there a hot key to reset a tool?

Thanks in advance for any info.

G.

jeric_synergy
12-04-2014, 11:22 AM
There's the dropdown in the menu, but as ever I'd like to remind designers

MENUS ARE SLOW :devil:

But, AHK to the rescue: I'm reasonably sure you can make AHK punch the RESET menuchoice for you.

I made it punch the SEARCH button for me (aka "Search in 11.6.3!")-- admittadly a menu's another kettle of fish. But 95% sure it's possible.

W/any luck, the ACTIVATE/RESET menu is in the same place for all Numeric panels. Even if it's not, you can craft AHK scripts to be panel specific.

Hmmm, that's the hacky way, but perhaps there's a Python/LScript that can do the reset.

Kuzey
12-04-2014, 12:33 PM
That reset option should be taken out of numeric panel and made universal!

Matt..make it soooOOoooOoOOoOOOOOOO :)

Edit: Ok I went and reported it as a bug(it's more a bug than a feature request in my pov)....it's the little things that improve workflow.

Edit #2: It's been moved to a feature request by LW3dgroup...hopefully it will happen soon-ish soon :)

jeric_synergy
12-04-2014, 05:04 PM
What's REALLY POOR DESIGN is that there exists a 2-choice menu- it's very dumb. It's not even a proper menu-- it's a weird hybrid--in 11.6.3 MOVE, it acts more like a RESET button that happens to reveal the ACTIVATE choice. RESET is the default choice, but that is hidden by the "Action" label.

I don't really know why "ACTIVATE" is even in there at all. Does anybody call up a tool NOT wanting to activate it?* (--hmmm....a temporary, gotta-hold-it-down DISABLE button would be more useful, cuz you could quickly see effects while not messing with your settings. Think of flipping a light on and off. Or a doorbell.)

If you want to see what will happen without using the tool, don't call up the tool. "Reset" is still needed, but it can be a button, a hotkey-able button, obviously. There's plenty of room to the left of the ACTION menu/button

BUT, let's get innovative: have a RESET button, AND a menu that contains the past, oh, 20 values used in that tool. And have the current "Retain Values" behaviour intact.

.....y'know, the current status is salvageable if, instead of "ACTION" the label showed "RESET" plus the little up/down triangles that we all know indicate "hey! Other choices available here!". 8~

* here's where angry users defend their use of their personal ACTIVATE workflow....

tonyrizo2003
12-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I did a search and found the reset area, but it doesn't work the way you want it to. If you make a box and open the numeric panel up, change the values than click in the reset area. The box goes away and the values become greyed out. If you click a second time, the default values come back, however the box is still gone and you need to go and activate the tool again.125857

jeric_synergy
12-04-2014, 10:45 PM
yeah..... but is that helpful in anyone's world?

HEY, I just had a strange/silly idea: how about a "FADE" tool?

It would take the last previous transformation and apply it in a GRADIENT fashion.
Now, the terminology is a bit borked, but stick with me:

0% of "FADE" is like UNDO
50% of "FADE" is like "undo that and do it again but only half as much"
100% does NOTHING. nuhhhhhTHING
200% is "keep traveling/rotating/scaling in the same direction but twice as much"
-100% is "go the OPPOSITE direction/spin/sizing"

That would be an odd little tool, no? What else could it do?

Greenlaw
12-06-2014, 12:12 PM
LW3DG to the rescue!

Deuce at LW3DG asked me to try this: Right-click once in a viewport without dragging. This should do the same as selecting the Reset command from the list in the Numerical panel.

I needed this specifically for the Magnet tool because I often work in a single axis mode and need to change axis when I click in another viewport. In 11.6.3 and earlier, I did this by pressing ';' twice to drop and reset the tool, which doesn't work in 2015 because the tool always remembers the previous setting. However, if I do the single right-click, no drag in any viewport, the tool will Reset. This is actually more efficient than the hot key I was asking about.

I'm not sure how well this works with other tools yet but it's just what I needed for the Magnet tool right now.

Hope this info is helpful to other users.

P.S., This was probably a random glitch, but I just did something where the tool didn't Reset with right-click, so I tried left-click, which did the Reset. Then it went back to normal behavior. Like I said, this was probably just a random glitch but I thought it might be good info to share here.

G.

Greenlaw
12-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Just wanted to be sure this was a new 2015 feature so I tested it with the Magnet tool in 11.6.3--yup, right-click, no drag in viewport to Reset is apparently a new 2015 feature. I haven't checked this with all modeling tools in 2015 but it seems to work with the few tools I have tried so far.

G.

jeric_synergy
12-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Another invisible feature that didn't get mentioned? Or did it?

There's modesty, and then there's hiding your light under a bushel!

(since this one is so hard to spot, better add it to the "noobie things to know" thread.)

Hopefully people who are making videos will mention this in passing as they do their presentation-- that's always how I learn the forehead-slap features.

jwiede
12-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Just wanted to be sure this was a new 2015 feature so I tested it with the Magnet tool in 11.6.3--yup, right-click, no drag in viewport to Reset is apparently a new 2015 feature. I haven't checked this with all modeling tools in 2015 but it seems to work with the few tools I have tried so far.

Thimg is, some of the 11.5 "new tools" already put stuff on right-mouse actions (Transform, for example, uses it for alignment selection), so it isn't quite "universal" as is. I think I'd still prefer a universal key binding for "reset tool" instead, just for consistency across all tools (ideally across both Modeler & Layout).

Greenlaw
12-08-2014, 01:20 PM
I did wonder if there would be issues with other tools. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, even though I like how it works for Magnet right now, a universal hot key is probably still a good idea.

G.

jeric_synergy
12-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Thimg is, some of the 11.5 "new tools" already put stuff on right-mouse actions (Transform, for example, uses it for alignment selection), so it isn't quite "universal" as is. I think I'd still prefer a universal key binding for "reset tool" instead, just for consistency across all tools (ideally across both Modeler & Layout).

TRANSFORM doesn't have an "Apply" button like many of the old tools. So, there's that inconsistancy, not that I mind in this case (although as a 'repeat' function....).

A fast click on the "Actions" menu results in a RESET, after the first click (globally) on .... huh, wait :checking::checking::checking::checking:... OK, if you slowwwwly use the ACTION menu to RESET, the top selection ('RESET') is NOT under the mouse, but if you quickly select RESET (or something) the next time, and all subsequent times for any tool, RESET is under the mouse cursor.

My point is that, while we wait for LW3dG to address this Feature Request, we can craft our own solution by using AHK.

One deal I'd like to see LW3dG embrace is that many of our Feature Requests can be met by scripting, if one happens to have Real, Live programmers on staff. As they do. Solutions don't NEED to be coded into the central body of the app, a nice functional script will do just as well. And what is a trivial task for them seems like magic to some of us. RH's "Instant Access to Instancer" scriptlet is a case in point. Trivial for him, virtually impossible for me.