PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs urgent help

vortexvisuals
12-04-2014, 08:20 AM
I'm sorry if this is an old tired question but please I need some urgent help.
My Boolean function is greyed out, and refuses to work, throwing up an error saying 'Need template in background layer'. Also, my Line Draw has disappeared.
I am a complete Newbie so I don't yet understand all the terminology. Is it a simple case of reinstalling the program, or is the solution a lot simpler?

Nicolas Jordan
12-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Sounds like you are probably doing something wrong or something the tool doesn't like. Please post a screen grab if you can.

JoePoe
12-04-2014, 08:41 AM
In order to Boolean you need something in a background layer as "cutter" geometry. Do you have anything in the background?

Not sure about the Line Draw (do you mean Spline Draw??... I don't know, I'm not in 11.6). You can go to Edit> Edit Menu Layout and search for it... maybe it's hiding.

prometheus
12-04-2014, 08:49 AM
exactly what the error says and what joePoe says, you need to have object that is to boolean operate in a background layer, and stand on the main layer and do the boolean, however
..you can try speedboolean, then you can have your objects in one layer, but you have to select one of the object segments..and that is the one that will be the boolean operator so to speak.
I will be enough if you just select a poly of the object that is to be the cutter or some other boolean operator type, no need to select the hole connected geometry.

And line draw? what is that? do you mean line pen?

OnlineRender
12-04-2014, 09:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-IsmZ6u4Q

vortexvisuals
12-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Guys, thank you all so much for replying so quickly.
OnlineRender - many thanks, his video tutorials have been VERY helpful
I've used Speed Boolean many many times but the option just seems to have vanished, as has Line Pen (thanks prometheus, I remembered incorrectly) all of a sudden. Instead, I seem to have 'regular' boolean which was error-ing, saying 'Need template in background layer', however thanks you guys I know understand what that means.
The only mystery that remains is why and where have my Speed Boolean and Line Pen tools wandered off to. Bizzare.

ernpchan
12-04-2014, 05:44 PM
If tools/buttons are missing you could try rescanning your plugins or going to your Edit Menu Layout and picking of of the presets to restore your buttons.

Skonk
12-05-2014, 01:56 AM
Rescanning the plugins as suggested should work.

Utilities Tab > Edit Plugins > Scan Plugin Directory

Then point the folder dialog to the Newtek/Lightwave XXX/Support/Plugins folder and hit OK.

prometheus
12-05-2014, 03:06 AM
the plugin you are looking for is "modeler tools.p" you can go to edit menu and search for speed, and if it is installed you should find it there in the list, and then drag and drop or assign to construct/combine menu.
modeler tools is located in support/plugins/model

you can also go to edit plugins and search for speed as well, if you search by file.

line pen is packed within the other new tools in the core_tools.p
in edit menu, it is located under sequence.

Michael

vortexvisuals
12-23-2014, 06:26 AM
Hey guys,
Again, thank you very much. I still have a bit of a problem in that scanning the directory crashes the program. I'll try again but I might just try a re-install HOWEVER I've managed to complete my project, making only a few compromises.
Do you guys know if there is a repair element to the installer?

Areyos Alektor
12-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Try to erase the configuration files of LightWave.