PDA

View Full Version : Brand new features in Lightwave!

Ryan Roye
12-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Ok not really... but Studio Live tools are what I consider among those things people might look at and go "Wow, Lightwave can do that?".

Just a quick demo video I cobbled together just for the fun of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krp5Sl-w-lA&feature=youtu.be

caustics
12-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Very nice ... thanks for sharing. I really didn't know that was possible ;-)

Do you know if a PS3 controller is capable of doing the same?

Regards.

MarcusM
12-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Very nice ... thanks for sharing. I really didn't know that was possible ;-)

Regards.

In past i used MotionJoy DS3 Tool free software to connect PS Move Navigation Controller by bluetooth to use in in Unity engine. Windows recognize all buttons that means you should can use it in LW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WogM_xXlc6k

Ryan Roye
12-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Yes. Any device that shows up in HID likely works in Lightwave's device manager. If your device plugs in via USB and doesn't require special drivers to operate, chances are good it'll work. This is not true in all cases... for example I have a wireless headset with a bunch of buttons on it, but only 2 of those buttons will register. If you have a wireless headset, it's really useful when paired with kinect motion capture and will save you a bunch of walking back/fourth to/from the computer.

Some extra notes worth mentioning:

- The PS2 adapter shown in the video is something you can get for around $3-10 and are very easy to get through various online vendors. These same adapters will also work with playstation 3 controllers. PS2 controllers are high quality devices you can get for really cheap at a thrift store.

- PS2/PS3 controllers have pressure-sensitive buttons... the adapter I show in the video does not register pressure input and I haven't had the need to research which adapters could allow the pressure sensitivity to be utilized. Same goes for sixaxis gyroscopic functionality and any other misc controls. Currently, only the sticks are analog.

In past i used MotionJoy DS3 Tool free software to connect PS Move Navigation Controller by bluetooth to use in in Unity engine.

Aye. I've managed to get 1 PS3 move controller working in Lightwave... MotioninJoy however seems limited to using 1 PS3 move controller at a time. If there is a way around this limitation it'd allow for some pretty neat stuff. I'm not too keen on the "native" method of getting PS3 move controllers working; it isn't cost effective at all.

MarcusM
12-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Yes. Any device that shows up in HID likely works in Lightwave's device manager. If your device plugs in via USB and doesn't require special drivers to operate, chances are good it'll work. This is not true in all cases... for example I have a wireless headset with a bunch of buttons on it, but only 2 of those buttons will register. If you have a wireless headset, it's really useful when paired with kinect motion capture and will save you a bunch of walking back/fourth to/from the computer.

Some extra notes worth mentioning:

- The PS2 adapter shown in the video is something you can get for around $3-10 and are very easy to get through various online vendors. These same adapters will also work with playstation 3 controllers. PS2 controllers are high quality devices you can get for really cheap at a thrift store.

- PS2/PS3 controllers have pressure-sensitive buttons... the adapter I show in the video does not register pressure input and I haven't had the need to research which adapters could allow the pressure sensitivity to be utilized. Same goes for sixaxis gyroscopic functionality and any other misc controls. Currently, only the sticks are analog.

Aye. I've managed to get 1 PS3 move controller working in Lightwave... MotioninJoy however seems limited to using 1 PS3 move controller at a time. If there is a way around this limitation it'd allow for some pretty neat stuff. I'm not too keen on the "native" method of getting PS3 move controllers working; it isn't cost effective at all.

Hmm this guy using two PS3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LldXztPacmo

caustics
12-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Awesome!

Ryan Roye
12-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Hmm this guy using two PS3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LldXztPacmo

Interesting... we're gonna have to experiment with that. Thanks for the heads up!

12-04-2014, 04:49 AM
Nice share.
Lots of power still not in the light on this old kit called lw.
Thanks.

probiner
12-04-2014, 05:56 AM
Touch screen with with just controls without the need to select, meaning, pick+drag on touch, would probably give a very natural feel to animation controls. Like you're sculpting them and the output.

erikals
12-04-2014, 08:13 AM
yes, you can do that with an IKBooster controller... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

tonyrizo2003
12-04-2014, 10:29 AM
very cool thanks!!

jeric_synergy
12-04-2014, 11:50 AM
:sardonic look: I'm sure LW3dG has MENTIONED this somewhere, but, geeze, for current users to be surprised by this capability means the message is NOT getting out.

I don't know what they should do, but they should do something ELSE. Super short (2min) tutorials that look into neglected aspects, as they are detected.

You don't want prospective customers/evangelists ever saying "I didn't know LW could do that!".

prometheus
12-04-2014, 12:05 PM
is this a new feature? load the bullet mecha scene from the 2015 content, turn down the light intensity to zero, and turn of radiosity, use vpr, now ..this scene is using textured environment to also be used for lighting ...what I donīt understand is that it is
still lighting the scene nicely with just that textured environment, without radiosity turned on...have I missed something here, canīt see that it is baked or anything.

However...I have had so many crashes with this release that it feels unworkable unfortunatly :(
just tested vpr and shift click on surfaces..well it works when you click on the object, but clicking outside that on the background..it will crash, I tested this with a simple scene setup in 11.6 and no problem there...then loaded it in to 2015, and crash.

MAUROCOR
12-04-2014, 01:12 PM
is this a new feature? load the bullet mecha scene from the 2015 content, turn down the light intensity to zero, and turn of radiosity, use vpr, now ..this scene is using textured environment to also be used for lighting ...what I donīt understand is that it is
still lighting the scene nicely with just that textured environment, without radiosity turned on...have I missed something here, canīt see that it is baked or anything.

Actually what you think is light is only the car paint reflection applied over the surface. And if you uncheck the node option, still there are normal reflection applied to some textures. And if you put value '"0" in the reflection field, still there are some textures with fast Fresnel shader applied too. It is all fake! This 3D world is totally fake, I assure you! ;)