PDA

View Full Version : Fiber fx crash

Willax
12-02-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm using LW 11.6.3 and just started to play with fiber fx
No matter what object I use, when I go to render the scene, it will render the object to 98% then stall.
I have to ctr alt del out of it. This will happen no matter what object I am using.
I have tried it with a simple sphere and it still crashes.
Any suggestions?

ps. I tried this in 11.5 and 11.6 and everything renders fine, so something in 11.6.3 is causing the problem

rednova
12-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Hi:
I am still using lightwave 9.6
I think the same problem happened to me when I tried to render fiberfx object.
Is been a long time ago, but had many problems with fiberfx, crashing or someting like it.

vector
12-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Sometimes deleting the cfg files fix the problem. But remember, if you have a customized menu layout and shortcuts you should save your menu cfg and shortkeys cfg to load later before deleting anything, because you are going to lose that info deleting the cfg.

Greenlaw
12-04-2014, 03:35 AM
I didn't have crashing in 11.6.3 but I did run into other issues that I didn't have with 11.5, so for FiberFX I had been staying with 11.5. IMO, 11.5 was the best release for FiberFX until the recent release of 2015.

Last week we got 2015 installed which fixes the problems we were running into with 11.6.3, but I've yet to use 2015 extensively with FiberFX yet. (Well, a few simple tests but not full-on production work yet--but we'll get back to that soon enough.) One of the 2015 features I'm excited about is that FiberFX is now compatible with multisample lights like Dome and DP Infinite. Yay! (Previously, multisample lights caused flickering issues in FiberFX.)

G.

Willax
12-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Vector, thanks. I looked for cfg files, but there are a lot of them and I didn't know what to delete, so I didn't want to mess with em. Greenlaw, Yeah I guess if I want to use fiber fx I'll have to use 11.5
Since I'm on fixed income, it looks like upgrade to 2015 will have to wait.

JamesCurtis
12-04-2014, 09:00 PM
I've found Fiberfx to be a bit crashy in 2015. I don't believe it is config files as it is fresh/new innstall. Sincerely hope it gets sorted in patch. Im not the only one complaining about bugs.

Greenlaw
12-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Vector, thanks. I looked for cfg files, but there are a lot of them and I didn't know what to delete, so I didn't want to mess with em. Greenlaw, Yeah I guess if I want to use fiber fx I'll have to use 11.5

Dealing with configs isn't too difficult. The key is to make clean backups that you can easily and safely regress to whenever a problem crops up.

Before doing anything to the config files, quit Layout, Modeler, and the Hub if it's active. Quitting the programs writes the files.

Then, move the existing configs to a backup folder. (Just call it 'configsOLD' or something like that.) Move everything out of the Configs folder to the backup folder to start from scratch. Make sure the Configs folder is empty (except for the backup folders we'll be creating,) before continuing. By making a backup folder, if we mess up, we can easily regress to the previous state by copying the files back.

Now, launch Layout. Scan the plugins directory found in the inside Support folder. Some users will scan the entire Lightwave folder just to be sure they got everything but if you do this, you'll want to make sure any 'Rollback' folders are temporarily removed or deleted first. This is because the 'Rollback' folders may contain older duplicate versions of plug-ins. (Personally, I just delete the 'Rollback' folder. If you have access to past installers, it's not especially useful.)

Note that you might get some errors when scanning the entire Layout folder, which will be normal. This is because when you scan the entire directly, Layout will attempt to scan items that are not actually plug-ins. You can ignore those errors and just close those panels. If you scan only the plug-ins directory (under Support) you shouldn't see any errors.

After a successful scan, go to the Edit Menus window and select Default. If it's already selected, select a different preset, and then select Default. This sets your menus to use the latest plugins. Any other setting may be missing the latest tools. (Note: most of the other presets are fairly ancient legacy setups. I'm not really sure why they're in there anymore.)

If you opted to keep the 'Rollback' folder, move it back into the Lightwave folder now.

Now quit Layout. This will save new 'default' plugin and Layout configs for you. Open Modeler. this will load the new plugin configs to Modeler. Set the Menus to Default and quit. Back all the new configs to a new folder called configsDEFAULT. Now you have a perfectly clean set of default Lightwave configs.

Now, if anything ever goes wrong, and you suspect configs corruption, you can just copy these back into the config directory and you're ready to go. You won't have to do all that nonsense I described above again unless you lose these files.

At this point, if you change or add plugins, or make changes to menus or layout, you should make incremental backups. I typically make a new folder called configs[DATE] and copy the changed files to the dated folder.

All this might sound like a lot of work but it's not really--you can do all the above in a couple of minutes once you know the procedure. Plus, it's worth it because once you have the backup configs ready, it's just a matter of copying and pasting the files you want back to Configs directory, which will only take a couple of seconds.

Additional notes about configs: The configs folder might contain non-native files like license keys for certain third party plugins or configs for tools. Be sure to copy the license key files back to the configs folder so you can use those third party plugins. (The 3rd Powers tools comes to mind. I this is true for the Polas tools too.) The tool configs can be blown away--they're just settings that get generated whenever you use a tool.

Additional notes about plugins: If you keep third party plugins in a separate folder outside of the Lightwave directly (which is recommended), don't forget to scan these plugins too. After scanning my third party plugins, I'll save a copy in a configsCUSTOM folder or a configs[DATE] folder with the current date.

Hope this helps.

G.

dickbill
09-27-2016, 01:57 PM
I'm using LW 11.6.3 and just started to play with fiber fx
No matter what object I use, when I go to render the scene, it will render the object to 98% then stall.
I have to ctr alt del out of it. This will happen no matter what object I am using.
I have tried it with a simple sphere and it still crashes.
Any suggestions?

ps. I tried this in 11.5 and 11.6 and everything renders fine, so something in 11.6.3 is causing the problem

I have the exact same problem (stall at 98%) with LW 11.6.
Any specific correction to make ?

jeric_synergy
09-27-2016, 10:00 PM
OOOPS, didn't notice the date. Ah well, this advice is timeless. ;)

One lame hack-ish way to figure out which *.CFG files to delete is to start LW, LWM, and HUB, and then close them all.

Give it a second, then do a global file search for "*.cfg" AND "files made today". That should make it obvious.

DO save out any customized MENU and KEY files, that's 4 files, or you'll have to redo them. (Just to make it ugle, KEY and MENU files are also "*.cfg" files.)

Remember you can save a BRANCH of the Menus.

dickbill
09-28-2016, 05:55 AM
Hi Jeric,

As opposed to the opening post, when I load my objects with fibers/guide imported from zbrush, it renders OK in LW. It's after a few manipulations like moving and editing guides that the LW render freezes. I would prefer to know specifically which manipulation causes the render to freeze (at 98% as said above) than to play with the config files. So far I haven't find anything obvious. I suspected the editing of guides caused the crash, but I can't say it for sure, yet. I am rebuilding my scene and see what happens.

dickbill
09-28-2016, 02:44 PM
It definitively has something to do with editing the (fiber) guides and its pop up menu. I rebuild my scene without editing the guides and Fiberfx rendered ok. Is this happening too in LW2015 ?

gerry_g
09-28-2016, 04:44 PM
With Zbrush guides loaded (not sure about Lw native ones) you can just switch to Modeler, adjust away save and sync and switch back, was playing around just now with something like 150,000 curves loaded in five layers, I left VPR rendering and it refreshed ok on return with no crash, I never touch the LW native solution these days I can generate the curves better elsewhere

prometheus
09-28-2016, 05:45 PM
Hi Jeric,

As opposed to the opening post, when I load my objects with fibers/guide imported from zbrush, it renders OK in LW. It's after a few manipulations like moving and editing guides that the LW render freezes. I would prefer to know specifically which manipulation causes the render to freeze (at 98% as said above) than to play with the config files. So far I haven't find anything obvious. I suspected the editing of guides caused the crash, but I can't say it for sure, yet. I am rebuilding my scene and see what happens.

ARe you editing and adding points or cutting in the guides, that I would say is a no no, every strand or edge need a point order that is consenquently following the next etc, otherwise it may crash, if you for instance create a few points and make one point poly and then extend them all at once..it would be messed up, you will get sprouting and not a continious fiber since the point order is wrong from extending.
things like that may crash it etc.

I can use blender and comb hair in there and export to strands to modeler, and working as it should, blenders combing hair edit is nice for cutting and combing and also with a collision deflector so the strands do not go in to the scalp, what I havenīt seen is equally good build in twirl, kink and styling tool like fiber fx has though, you can use forces to style..but with too many strands the force field and particle interaction gets too slow in blender, maybe there is a special hair style addon I donīt know about for blender.

prometheus
09-28-2016, 06:20 PM
I need to go through the manual more closely.

if the case is that each polychain/strand needs correct point order(otherwise crash...or the fibers not following the guides properly..then it is troublesome..when using a few root points to rail extrude from..the results are a polychain that doesnīt have a proper point order...I would be glad if I find a method or tool to re-knit all the chains to have a proper point order, then some issues would be solved I think.

I know rail extruding some root 1 point polys was something splinegod was doing, but I think that was in relation to sasquatch..which may have worked, for fiberfx I think it goes wonky in terms of sprouting fibers from each point in the guide instead of following it properly.

dickbill
09-28-2016, 06:25 PM
ARe you editing and adding points or cutting in the guides, that I would say is a no no, .No, I was just 'pushing' in Layout.
I also noticed that during these episodes of freezing, the FiberFx part of the rendering was also much slower before it stalled at 98%. I was definitively doing something with the guides that the renderer didn't like.

To Gerry-g : I am not familiar with the LW native tools to edit hair curves in Modeler and since these curves are pretty much set already in Zbrush, I directly imported them in Layout.

prometheus
09-28-2016, 07:08 PM
No, I was just 'pushing' in Layout.
I also noticed that during these episodes of freezing, the FiberFx part of the rendering was also much slower before it stalled at 98%. I was definitively doing something with the guides that the renderer didn't like.

To Gerry-g : I am not familiar with the LW native tools to edit hair curves in Modeler and since these curves are pretty much set already in Zbrush, I directly imported them in Layout.

Pushing editing guides in layout with style guides is horrible in my opinion, better to deform in modeler if possible.
For modeler you can start with fiberfx strandmodeler to ensure the strands are correct, add gravity ..segments etc bias combing etc, then further tweak the strands with magnet tool or pole tool, and individual tweaks of strands with strand modeler..I am a bit baffled about why they havenīt managed to get a multi selection working strand tool, they only work per strand, so that means back to layout for multi editing..unless using magnet tool,

I am currently testing using particles to flow over a head, I set this up with one emitter, then a child emitter to serve as a visible trail only to see how the final hair flow will be, I use a collision object set to stick for the head, then let it run itīs course for a few frames, then itīs a matter of saving out the pfx emitter..back in modeler then I use the tibe3 pfx to polychain and load the pfx file in modeler..and voila, you got strands in the form of a polychain to serve as hair guides, and it is the correct point order to, so this works for sending back to hair guides in layout and fiberfx..I still have to work a bit with it to get decent hair flowing, itīs an alternativ to projecting curves on to a neck/sholder part.

Ofcourse..you can also simply use pretty straight hair guides, polychains and let bullet dynamics or cloth dynamics work on the guides to follow the shoulder/neck, a third alternative for hair following body, that would be to convert hairguides to skelegons, itīs done with a button though and quite simple, then you could convert to bones in layout and then activate ik booster with bone dynamics active.

I have a lot of this I would like to show with recordings, but havenīt had time yet.

dickbill
09-28-2016, 07:13 PM
The end result between Zbrush and LW look hardly the same although I did no tweaking between them: GoZ then Fiber mesh Export Curves (LW format) that's it. But of course, once in LW, you got all the bell and whistle : radiosity, Gaussian soft rendering, Image world, lights, etc. and of course animation.

The only thing I tried to change is, once in LW, to plug the GoZ settings (Diffuse, Normal, Displacement with Zb UV) to the LW Material 'Fast Skin' in the Node, but I see no difference. But that's another story.
So from Zbrush :
to Lw 11.6 :

dickbill
09-28-2016, 07:16 PM
Pushing editing guides in layout with style guides is horrible in my opinion, better to deform in modeler if possible.
For modeler you can start with fiberfx strandmodeler to ensure the strands are correct, add gravity ..segments etc bias combing etc, then further tweak the strands with magnet tool or pole tool, and individual tweaks of strands with strand modeler..I am a bit baffled about why they havenīt managed to get a multi selection working strand tool, they only work per strand, so that means back to layout for multi editing..unless using magnet tool,

I am currently testing using particles to flow over a head, I set this up with one emitter, then a child emitter to serve as a visible trail only to see how the final hair flow will be, I use a collision object set to stick for the head, then let it run itīs course for a few frames, then itīs a matter of saving out the pfx emitter..back in modeler then I use the tibe3 pfx to polychain and load the pfx file in modeler..and voila, you got strands in the form of a polychain to serve as hair guides, and it is the correct point order to, so this works for sending back to hair guides in layout and fiberfx..I still have to work a bit with it to get decent hair flowing, itīs an alternativ to projecting curves on to a neck/sholder part.

Ofcourse..you can also simply use pretty straight hair guides, polychains and let bullet dynamics or cloth dynamics work on the guides to follow the shoulder/neck, a third alternative for hair following body, that would be to convert hairguides to skelegons, itīs done with a button though and quite simple, then you could convert to bones in layout and then activate ik booster with bone dynamics active.

I have a lot of this I would like to show with recordings, but havenīt had time yet.
Thanks for the info Prometheus. It seems some high level work that you did.

prometheus
09-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the info Prometheus. It seems some high level work that you did.

well.yeah, I need that.Itīs been some hours now wrestling this workflow, I got the particles to polychain right, and the point order seemed right, but as soon as I ran fiberfx in layout, it was sprouting and not following properly..tried various things including strandmaker, but that only screwed it up more, so I went back to the method I used with blenders hairguides to lightwave, once the polychain, (in this case the tibe 3 pfx to polychain) is created, you should select them all in EDGE mode, that is important, then copy and paste to another layer, delete the original polychain layer...that is not enough and the fiberfx will sprout and not follow the guides continuosly anway..so there is one more step, that is to merge points...but, merge points with keep one point polys checked, otherwise it will mostly crash.
So that should work, I need to keep repeating this a few times then I can determine if it works all of the time and may record it or put up a pdf file on it.

Once the fibers are alright all the time, then I only need to find the good flow to let the particles flow around the head and shoulders and neck, though it may be easier to brush edit in zbrush, not sure how well it can brush without having the fibers going in to the model, in blender you can avoid that by deflect collision.
With a particle flowing creation of hair, you may get a way of letting hair follow things more naturally..though it is a bit more advanced.

Modo has toolkits for this..which essentially seems to be ripped of from pfx system in lightwave, maybe itīs not..it is trickier though in lightwave, in modo you could sculpt deform the resulting particle flow converted mesh with an airbrush, while in lightwave you would have to reload the polychain, run clothfx on it and deform it with editfx node and brush size which is lousy compared to how well modo has made it.
I hope they can pick this up to compete ..with chronosculpt features in layout, and make a mesh from particle paths with ease, and direct sculpt of the polychain mesh that was converted, and also allow for converting back to particle path..that is how they managed to do with modo anyway.