PDA

View Full Version : AutoCAD to Lightwave: best file format path?

Spinland
12-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Related to my other post about fluids, I might need to work with some assets modeled in AutoCAD. At first blush it seems the best path would be to have them saved out as .dxf and then import that into LW? Can anyone suggest a better path?

Many thanks in advance!

tonyrizo2003
12-02-2014, 02:05 PM
I would think that .obj would be your best bet.

Spinland
12-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks; I didn't see that as one of the output formats AC supports. I'd be asking someone else to export their models so I don't have any control over whether they have special plugins.

MarcusM
12-02-2014, 03:16 PM
In my opinion FBX is the best solution.
http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-AE2B5A3E-2068-4706-AE83-926C26C6EE9C

kopperdrake
12-02-2014, 06:16 PM
AutoCad > STP File > MoI (Moment of Inspiration) > LWO file > LightWave

That's the way we're going on a current CAD to LW project. The STP file retains the vertex normal data, so smoothing is nice. In my experience, once you start hacking and slashing any geometry from a CAD package, it can be nasty as you mess up that vertex normal data.

prometheus
12-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Obj format should retain the vertex normal data as well.

spherical
12-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Unsure of the latest AutoCAD versions but the ones that I have don't have OBJ as an output/export format. A plugin is needed for that capability.

Otterman
12-03-2014, 01:47 AM

Ditto, STEP > POLYTRANS >LWO.

Nice and clean

phillydee
12-03-2014, 07:08 AM

I can vouch for this as well, but instead of using LWO export, I use OBJ to retain vertex normal (smoothing) data.

My most recent project I had to actually cut the imported STP files in half for cutaway renders and MOI worked out well. Another thing I learned about MOI was scale inside MOI when you do any surface edits or boolean operations. I found that if I scaled the model up to a bigger size and then executed the boolean it worked as expected.

Danner
12-03-2014, 09:55 AM
On a related note. We deal with only 2d floorplans sent to us once in a while, so an AutoCAD licence just for converting clients files to LW was not a wise choice. Thankfully we found DraftSight, pretty much a free clone of autocad. Once we delete the fluff and "explode" to the last level, floorplans import well into Lightwave as ASCI DXF.

Spinland
12-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys, this is all great stuff. One other option I was just looking into was subscribing to Fusion360. That would, for a very low buy-in, allow me to accept the native .dwg files and then tweak/export them myself instead of relying on the client to supply the import format. From what I've read I can't assume they can output .stp files since that seems to be limited to some versions of AutoCAD.

chikega
12-04-2014, 11:21 AM

That's the way we're going on a current CAD to LW project. The STP file retains the vertex normal data, so smoothing is nice. In my experience, once you start hacking and slashing any geometry from a CAD package, it can be nasty as you mess up that vertex normal data.

Moment of Inspiration (MoI) allows you to tweak the level of detail and does a great job of supporting the LWO2 file format. :)