PDA

View Full Version : My models look better in OpenGL than in the renders

regenerator
12-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Hello!
I'm working on some terrains. I exported a model from Vue5 (Yeah, I know. Old) into Lightwave 9.6. The model looked pretty good in Modeler and Layout viewports but when I render it for some reason it looks softer and not of the same quality. I tried different subpatch levels, tried it without subpatching, tried different reconstruction filters. Thought maybe it was just Vue5 model. Then I did a quick cliff edge model and used displacement procedurals. Again it looked pretty decent in the viewport but when I render it with AA it just doesn't look right. Maybe it's just me. The cliff object was done in about 5 minutes. Made it to see if it was Vue5's interaction with Lightwave or something else. I've done displacements before and never noticed this before. I have Windows 7 (64 bit), Dell Inspiron One (All-in-One), 6GB RAM. Graphics card specs are attached. Hope my explanation was clear enough. Thanks for the help.125796 125797 125798 125799

Mr_Q
12-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Lower your smoothing angle for the surface. Possibly turn it off if you have enough geo. Especially once you apply texturing.

Also verify the displacement coordinate space. Make sure your render subDs are matching your display. (if using subDs)

About all I can think of.

Danner
12-02-2014, 11:15 AM
In the texture editor try changing the MipMap quality and strenght. Those are designed to help minimize noise and moire but can soften too much.

Sensei
12-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Rendering sub-patch level is controlled independently from OpenGL/preview sub-patch level. Are you always using the same value for both?

regenerator
12-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I tried that and got very little difference. After I posted the thought came to mind to try different lights. Lo and behold it seems Area light has some kind of conflict with these kind of scenes. Thankfully, Spherical, Dome, etc. seem to work fine. Perhaps Area Lights, with highly tessellated objects and my graphics card have some kind of conflict. I've attached the images.

Area:125811

Directional:125812

Spherical:125813

Dome:125814

- - - Updated - - -

regenerator
12-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Rendering sub-patch level is controlled independently from OpenGL/preview sub-patch level. Are you always using the same value for both?

Yes, sir.

MarcusM
12-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Displacement giving nice result but there should be also normal map :)

prometheus
12-02-2014, 09:41 PM
I think the main issue is the very smoothing angle that is set in the surface editor, might help a little to lower smoothing angle as mentioned, but it could also ruin it in terms of getting too sharp edges in the surface where some polyfacets are excluded from the smoothing by the angle set, the surface should have sharp edges only where the geometry is sharp, and there is no way for a shader to handle that as I know of, and as Kevin "q" mentioned, you could turn it of completly, but that means you need a very dense mesh to interpolate the surface look without the aid of surface smoothing, it could give better results since it donīt smooth interpolate the surface..rather hard interpolating it with increased polys.

This is a typical issue with software that are interpolating it with surface smoothing..and in most cases it looks to smoothed without a lot of sharp detail that you encounter in real terrains, vue with infinite procedural detail has a different approach, unless you are not working with standard terrains in vue, then it is the same case there with terrains looking too smooth, unless a very high resolution is set.

And as mentioned before, in the objects tab you have subpatch level, wich for landscapes that requires detail should be set to first, and you have two different settings, display subpatch..which is visible in opengl and VPR, then render subpatch that only affects final render, so if you render it not in VPR but in final renders, you have to make sure you set it at the same level as display subpatch, though you can turn display subpatch to zero to move faster viewports when you are done setting the landscape...that wonīt affect the render subpatch level.

Michael

regenerator
12-03-2014, 12:56 AM
Displacement giving nice result but there should be also normal map :)

That is true but I hardly ever use Normal Maps.

regenerator
12-03-2014, 12:58 AM
I think the main issue is the very smoothing angle that is set in the surface editor, might help a little to lower smoothing angle as mentioned, but it could also ruin it in terms of getting too sharp edges in the surface where some polyfacets are excluded from the smoothing by the angle set, the surface should have sharp edges only where the geometry is sharp, and there is no way for a shader to handle that as I know of, and as Kevin "q" mentioned, you could turn it of completly, but that means you need a very dense mesh to interpolate the surface look without the aid of surface smoothing, it could give better results since it donīt smooth interpolate the surface..rather hard interpolating it with increased polys.

This is a typical issue with software that are interpolating it with surface smoothing..and in most cases it looks to smoothed without a lot of sharp detail that you encounter in real terrains, vue with infinite procedural detail has a different approach, unless you are not working with standard terrains in vue, then it is the same case there with terrains looking too smooth, unless a very high resolution is set.

And as mentioned before, in the objects tab you have subpatch level, wich for landscapes that requires detail should be set to first, and you have two different settings, display subpatch..which is visible in opengl and VPR, then render subpatch that only affects final render, so if you render it not in VPR but in final renders, you have to make sure you set it at the same level as display subpatch, though you can turn display subpatch to zero to move faster viewports when you are done setting the landscape...that wonīt affect the render subpatch level.

Michael

Thanks for the input. I tried all of those and came to the conclusion that for whatever reason the Area light was the problem. Perhaps a clash with my graphics card. Thankfully the other lights work fine.

prometheus
12-03-2014, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the input. I tried all of those and came to the conclusion that for whatever reason the Area light was the problem. Perhaps a clash with my graphics card. Thankfully the other lights work fine.

if you have a terrain to render with naturalistic sunlight, go and get dp_sunsky, it contains additional light models, such as the sk_sunlight, the plugin is free, I would suggest you add the sunsky plugin from
the textured environment and double click it, once there, select you default light, but then go to that lightīs property and change it in the list, there should now be a new light type called sk_sun, choose that and go down in itīs tab and change mode to manual, so you freely can rotate position the sun direction, otherwise you have to use time controls which can be harder to use when designing light direction.

thereīs also a script that makes the setup easier, all downloads at the bottom of the page, and make sure to get the right versions...
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Sunsky.html

Michael

regenerator
12-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the Sunsky link. Just downloaded it and will give it a go.