PDA

View Full Version : Custom Transform Gizmo in Modeler

jboudreau
12-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Hi Guys

I saw recently on the forum some users were talking about some issues regarding the Transform Gizmo, Regarding look sizing etc.

For those of you that are not aware of this. You can customize the Gizmo tool to suit your needs

In your Newtek folder on PC (equivalent director on mac) "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.3\support\gizmos\transf orm.lwo" There is an an object called transform.lwo) You can model what ever you want and save over the top of the file. Modeler will use this new gizmo when you use the transform tool. Also I would backup your original transform.lwo object so you have a copy of it.

Here is a screen grab with the custom gizmo I modeled. I just quickly modeled this to see how it would work and it works very well. I will be updating it and will post the model in here soon for those of you that are interested.

UPDATE: For those that wan't to give this a try and see what the benefits are for themselves here is the model 125782

Hope this helps
Jason

jeric_synergy
12-01-2014, 11:27 AM
What specific advantages are you realizing from your custom gizmo?

Snosrap
12-01-2014, 11:35 AM
This is on the right track Jason, but I think there may be some underlying reason as to why NT decided to create what they did and that is you cannot actually rotate your mouse movement around in the manner in which the rotation gizmo is drawn within the viewport.

jboudreau
12-01-2014, 11:38 AM

The reason I posted this was someone was saying they wished the gizmo was more like modo. Instead of the small half section of the circle they wanted a full circle (more like Modo) I was just posting this because I don't think they were aware that they could make their own and make it look the way they wanted.

Making it like this makes It easier to click on the whole circle rather than just a small part of it. It also works really nice in Modeler 2015. There was an issue in previous version of Lightwave where you couldn't use the gizmo or it was really hard to click on the gizmo parts when working with small objects 1mm in grid size or smaller. The thread is here http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144666-LW11-6-Transform-Tool-vs-LW2015

I also adjusted the size of the gizmo which makes it nice to work with larger handles, instead of trying to get the mouse perfectly on the handle. Just makes it easier to interact with.

Jason

- - - Updated - - -

This is on the right track Jason, but I think there may be some underlying reason as to why NT decided to create what they did and that is you cannot actually rotate your mouse movement around in the manner in which the rotation gizmo is drawn within the viewport.

Yes you're right you can't rotate it in a circular motions but it does make it a lot more easier to interact with, plus like I stated in my previous message I sized it up a bit.

Jason

jboudreau
12-01-2014, 11:44 AM

Also sometimes when you go to click on the rotate gizmo you sometimes hit the line/arrow instead this allows you to click the blue, green, red rotate handles and your mouse isn't even close or anywhere near the line/arrow

Jason

hrgiger
12-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Thats interesting because they did something similar in CORE allowing you to model your own camera and Lights.

jboudreau
12-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Thats interesting because they did something similar in CORE allowing you to model your own camera and Lights.

Yeah same in lightwave 2015 and previous versions.

Here is the model if you want to give it a try 125784

Jason

Snosrap
12-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Yeah using your own widgets etc. have been available since 11.5. If I recall properly it's a multi-layer object to facilitate all the different axis' and rotational and movement possibilities.

MarcusM
12-01-2014, 01:27 PM
You can put there a litte x,y and z, for example near arrows.

jeric_synergy
12-01-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm certainly all for this level of flexibility, if it doesn't suck away too much dev time.

Better light icons would especially be welcome.