PDA

View Full Version : Layout/Modeler 2015 takes too much time to launch

MAUROCOR
12-01-2014, 05:29 AM
I donīt know what happened but the Layout and Modeler 2015 used to open so fast when I installed but now is taking so much time. I mean, a loooooooooooong time to launch.
Some times it just DONīT open anymore with no kind of signal about what is happening. I just click the modeler or layout icon and nothing happens.

And once they are open it is taking to much time to open an object (modeler) or a scene (layout).

Anyone more?
I have no idea what is causing this to report a bug.
Thanks in advance!

fazi69
12-01-2014, 07:05 AM
On SSD it take less than second.... maybe new LW have some internet connection checkup with headquaters and it take too long ? I can`t check this because I did not find lw2015 worth buying. There is not a single feature worth money for me. But demo version starts as fast as 11.6.

MAUROCOR
12-01-2014, 08:43 AM
On SSD it take less than second.... maybe new LW have some internet connection checkup with headquaters and it take too long ? I can`t check this because I did not find lw2015 worth buying. There is not a single feature worth money for me. But demo version starts as fast as 11.6.

At the beginning it was really fast but now it is not.
I would like to know if it is only to me!?!

zardoz
12-01-2014, 08:52 AM
I don't have that problem Mauro, so I can't help. Even today I was mocking my max mates...I opened layout 20 times while max was opening once...

Sensei
12-01-2014, 10:05 AM
I don't have that problem Mauro, so I can't help. Even today I was mocking my max mates...I opened layout 20 times while max was opening once...

Nothing special. Any app that is/must loading plugins/modules at startup will be slower. LW doesn't load plugins at startup.

MAUROCOR
12-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Well, it seems that this issue is happening only to me. Thank you for your help!

spherical
12-01-2014, 03:27 PM
This can be caused by software firewall issues and autoscan plugins. Does it improve if you launch Modeler or Layout with the -0 or -i command line switches?

MAUROCOR
12-01-2014, 07:35 PM
This can be caused by software firewall issues and autoscan plugins. Does it improve if you launch Modeler or Layout with the -0 or -i command line switches?

And how do I do that?

spherical
12-02-2014, 12:36 AM
For the first, temporarily disable the firewall.
For the second, deselect Autoscan Plugins in the General Options panel.
For the third, make a shortcut that has the equivalent of:

C:\Apps\3D\Lightwave\2015\bin\Layout.exe -i

as the command line in the Target field. You will need to change the above line to match your install location.

For the -0 switch, just make another shortcut that replaces "-i" with "-0". (that is "dash zero")

This is outlined in the documentation as to what the two types do.

MAUROCOR
12-02-2014, 05:31 AM
For the first, temporarily disable the firewall.
For the second, deselect Autoscan Plugins in the General Options panel.
For the third, make a shortcut that has the equivalent of:

C:\Apps\3D\Lightwave\2015\bin\Layout.exe -i

as the command line in the Target field. You will need to change the above line to match your install location.

For the -0 switch, just make another shortcut that replaces "-i" with "-0". (that is "dash zero")

This is outlined in the documentation as to what the two types do.

Thank you for your help, but there is something that I donīt understand... Why LW always worked well before? The only thing that changed is that now I donīt have the dongle.

Sanchon
12-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Your firewall probably filters 127.x.x.x loopback traffic - you must turn this feature off. When I have filtering turned on, LW can launch even minute. Hub communicates with Layout and Modeler via 127.x.x.x loop.

spherical
12-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Thank you for your help, but there is something that I donīt understand... Why LW always worked well before? The only thing that changed is that now I donīt have the dongle.

OK, then it's looking for other LightWave instances running on the network. After a while, it times out. So, this brings up the question: You had a dongle and now do not? Without a dongle, many commercial plugins won't work; as they are tied to it. My license file has both the code block for the new licensing system that looks on the network and the dongle codes. It launches immediately.

Skonk
12-03-2014, 03:25 AM
have you tried simply disabling you firewall temporarily and launching lightwave?

If it loads fine then you know its a firewall issue (which is what it sounds like) and then you can work out what exceptions need adding to the firewall to make it work right.

GregMalick
12-03-2014, 08:38 AM
First time - takes about 7 seconds.
But once the hub is active, restarts of Modeler/Layout take less than a second.

There's a command line parm that skips starting the hub.
Look that up and try it. I bet you have better results.

phillydee
12-03-2014, 09:10 AM
I recently discovered that if a previous content directory (that LW was 'looking' at) is deleted, it takes an awful long time for LW to start. It eventually does, but not before a long wait. I'm on dual Xeons with 32GB of RAM and a dongle (11.6.3)

You could try and navigate to a different content directory once LW starts and see if that solves startup issues