PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Modeler New Controls

jboudreau
11-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Hi Guys

Recently the Lightwave team introduced in Lightwave 2015 new controls where you can double click the left mouse button to drop your current selection and also roll your mouse up or down to zoom in and out of your viewport. Along with this I think they should of added more functionality like holding the middle mouse button down to pan your viewports, or double clicking the right mouse button to select a loop etc.

So I'm after working on a script that can give you more control of your modeling commands using key combinations and mouse buttons. This will also work in previous and newer versions of lightwave as well.

Here is what I was thinking.

MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON CLICK (Select Entire Part)
MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON DOUBLE CLICK (Select Polygon Connected)
MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON HOLD DOWN (Pan around viewport)

RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON CLICK (Toggle through Point, Edge and Polygon Mode Selection)
RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON DOUBLE CLICK (Select Loop)
RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON HOLD DOWN ( RIGHT MOUSE MENU)
RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON DRAG (Loop Selection Program Controlled)

LEFT MOUSE BUTTON CLICK (Program Controlled)
LEFT MOUSE BUTTON DOUBLE CLICK (Drop Current Selection)
LEFT MOUSE BUTTON HOLD Down (Program Controlled)

WHEEL BUTTON ROLL DOWN (Zoom Out Viewport)
WHEEL BUTTON ROLL UP (Zoom In Viewport)
RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON DOWN AND WHEEL UP (Expand Selection)
RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON DOWN AND WHEEL DOWN (Contract Selection)

Can you guys let me know what other key combinations you would like to see in modeler or what one you would change?

Once I have the script complete and tested I will be creating some videos to show you the workflow.

Thanks
Jason

brent3d
11-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Hi Guys

Recently the Lightwave team introduced in Lightwave 2015 new controls where you can double click the left mouse button to drop your current selection and also roll your mouse up or down to zoom in and out of your viewport. Along with this I think they should of added more functionality like holding the middle mouse button down to pan your viewports, or double clicking the right mouse button to select a loop etc.

So I'm after working on a script that can give you more control of your modeling commands using key combinations and mouse buttons. This will also work in previous and newer versions of lightwave as well.

Here is what I was thinking.

MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON CLICK (Select Entire Part)
MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON DOUBLE CLICK (Select Polygon Connected)
MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON HOLD DOWN (Pan around viewport)

RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON CLICK (Toggle through Point, Edge and Polygon Mode Selection)
RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON DOUBLE CLICK (Select Loop)
RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON HOLD DOWN ( RIGHT MOUSE MENU)
RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON DRAG (Loop Selection Program Controlled)

LEFT MOUSE BUTTON CLICK (Program Controlled)
LEFT MOUSE BUTTON DOUBLE CLICK (Drop Current Selection)
LEFT MOUSE BUTTON HOLD Down (Program Controlled)

WHEEL BUTTON ROLL DOWN (Zoom Out Viewport)
WHEEL BUTTON ROLL UP (Zoom In Viewport)
RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON DOWN AND WHEEL UP (Expand Selection)
RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON DOWN AND WHEEL DOWN (Contract Selection)

Can you guys let me know what other key combinations you would like to see in modeler or what one you would change?

Once I have the script complete and tested I will be creating some videos to show you the workflow.

Thanks
Jason

Jason, Make it like Modo please!!!
Left Mouse Button Single Click (select single poly, edge, or vertex).
Left Mouse Button Double Click (select poly object or edge loop).
Left Mouse Button Single Click in empty space should deselect all.
CTRL + Mouse Button Single Click (reduces selection of polys, edges, or vertices)
SHIFT + Mouse Button Single Click (grows selection of polys, edges, or vertices)
Right Mouse Button Click and Drag (Lasso selection and deselection)

I'm a trackball user so I have no use for Middle Mouse Button outside of zooming or scrolling.

ConjureBunny
11-29-2014, 10:24 PM
As a long time MacOS UI junkie, I would like to point out that these are not Modo behaviors, they're Mac OS behaviors:
>Left Mouse Button Single Click (select single poly, edge, or vertex).
>Left Mouse Button Double Click (select poly object or edge loop).
>Left Mouse Button Single Click in empty space should deselect all.
>CTRL + Mouse Button Single Click (reduces selection of polys, edges, or vertices)
>SHIFT + Mouse Button Single Click (grows selection of polys, edges, or vertices)

The only one in this list that could *possibly* be attributed to Modo is double-click to select a loop. Apple's QuickDraw3D behavior for double-clicking a poly surface was to extend that surface (in the late-90's). Double-click would extend one level out, triple-click would go farther, or extend to the entire object. Modo extends along the loop instead.

But aside from that, these are 100% Apple UI concepts, most of which date back to Bruce Tognazzini's published works from the late 80's/early 90's.

I agree these are good ideas, I just also want to give credit where it's due.

( IMO these are how all 3D software should work, along with a ton of other "obvious" things my Mac-Fanboy-brain prefers, but YMMV :D )

-Chilton

chikega
11-29-2014, 10:30 PM
Good points Chilton!

I would love to be able to rotate around selection in Modeler. This is very helpful when modeling on very long items. The closest I can get to this behavior is using the G key

djwaterman
11-30-2014, 12:40 AM
Rotate around selection is 'Shift A'.

jboudreau
11-30-2014, 01:35 AM
Good points Chilton!

I would love to be able to rotate around selection in Modeler. This is very helpful when modeling on very long items. The closest I can get to this behavior is using the G key

Yes Djwaterman is correct

Shift A does this. I can program this to work on a mouse command, wondering which mouse button combination you would want for this?

Thanks,
Jason

jeric_synergy
11-30-2014, 01:44 AM
Rotate around selection is 'Shift A'.
It sure is. --I've heard that complaint before, and never understood it.

To be more verbose, SHIFT+a is FIT SELECTED, aka CENTER SELECTED IN VIEW. In the Perspective View, this mean the center of the viewport is at the center of the selected items and will rotate around that center unless the user pans off of it. IOW, Rotate Around Selection.

Re Chilton's YMMV: it certainly does, since I loathe the MAC UI.

brent3d
11-30-2014, 04:17 AM
As a long time MacOS UI junkie, I would like to point out that these are not Modo behaviors, they're Mac OS behaviors:
>Left Mouse Button Single Click (select single poly, edge, or vertex).
>Left Mouse Button Double Click (select poly object or edge loop).
>Left Mouse Button Single Click in empty space should deselect all.
>CTRL + Mouse Button Single Click (reduces selection of polys, edges, or vertices)
>SHIFT + Mouse Button Single Click (grows selection of polys, edges, or vertices)

The only one in this list that could *possibly* be attributed to Modo is double-click to select a loop. Apple's QuickDraw3D behavior for double-clicking a poly surface was to extend that surface (in the late-90's). Double-click would extend one level out, triple-click would go farther, or extend to the entire object. Modo extends along the loop instead.

But aside from that, these are 100% Apple UI concepts, most of which date back to Bruce Tognazzini's published works from the late 80's/early 90's.

I agree these are good ideas, I just also want to give credit where it's due.

( IMO these are how all 3D software should work, along with a ton of other "obvious" things my Mac-Fanboy-brain prefers, but YMMV :D )

-Chilton

Cool beans Chilton!... Make it like a Mac's mouse behavior then Jason and problem solved ....at least for PC and trackball users users:thumbsup:

MarcusM
11-30-2014, 05:24 AM
I have Logitech G300 mouse, it is cool because have on top few buttons. Not expensive. When i doing UV mapping it speed up my work a lot. I set up Enter, Copy, Delete and Paste on one profile. There are three profiles possible to set up and change them during work. Really recommand :]
http://www.pccasegear.com/UserFiles/g300_l.jpg

erikals
11-30-2014, 06:15 AM
i'd very much like it to be customizable

Skonk
11-30-2014, 06:32 AM
Single Click de-selection would be a MASSIVE pain in the arse unless selection/de-selection is added to the list of stuff that the Undo command can revert.

I've already had accidental de-selections with the double click to deselect function added in 2015 (quickly clicking along a load of edges only to click just slightly off one of the edges and it do a double click de-select and have to redo it all again manually).

erikals
11-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Single Click de-selection would be a MASSIVE pain in the arse
absolutely

I've already had accidental de-selections with the double click to deselect function added in 2015
haven't used 2015, but afraid of how that function will work with a Wacom pen,
really hope i can turn it off, and use by own custom AHK script

Skonk
11-30-2014, 08:40 AM
I would love some additional functionality adding to the clicks though.

Double click edge to select loop.
Double click polygon to select connected polygons.

Etc.

Ernest
11-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Single Click de-selection would be a MASSIVE pain in the arse
absolutely

Thirded. Losing the selection happens way too much already with double click.

I personally use (Select [point/]Polygon Connected) quite a bit more than (Select Entire Part). Am I in the minority in this?