PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2015 - Improved Slider Drawing???

Paul_Boland
11-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Hi Folks.

This has been bugging me... What exactly is the Improved Slider Drawing in Lightwave 2015? I've been asking for the sliders to be updated since Lightwave 8 but everything I have seen of Lightwave 2015's sliders doesn't look any different to previous Lightwave versions?!?

ernpchan
11-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Maybe the change has to do with making them work with VPR or in opengl better. The workflow of sliders hasn't changed.

ncr100
12-01-2014, 01:17 AM
My sliders look like this (warning, meat): http://cantlivewithoutdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/sliders.jpg

Seriously I believe I saw a screenshot comparison of sliders' contents, in 2015, fitting within their boundaries better than in 11.x. No first-hand knowledge though.

Paul_Boland
12-11-2014, 08:59 PM
My sliders look like this (warning, meat): http://cantlivewithoutdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/sliders.jpg

Seriously I believe I saw a screenshot comparison of sliders' contents, in 2015, fitting within their boundaries better than in 11.x. No first-hand knowledge though.

Haha!! Good one ;).

I just want to bump this post back to the top as I'd like to get this answered. Since LW3DG are promoting "Improved Slider Drawing" as a feature in Lightwave 2015, and the screenshots I've seen don't look very improved to me, and since I've been asking for the sliders to be improved since Lightwave 8, I'd like to know what exactly "Improved Slider Drawing" is...???

Kaptive
12-12-2014, 06:29 AM
I think (though it is merely a guess) this is all to do with interaction and not how it actually looks. I've had issues in the past where the sliders became very very difficult to select for some weird reason. I think it was a matter of LW just not seeing it as such, so I'd click on the slider and end up selecting an object (or whatever) through it. So I'm assuming that it means that it is drawing it better to make it more reliable and avoid the kind of thing I mentioned above. Also, maybe it has a better refresh rate and reacts to changes in the scene when sliding on the timeline better.

Lewis
12-12-2014, 06:49 AM
They do look different on my machine.

LEFT is 11.6.3 vs RIGHT is 2015.

Ignore the colorscheme but 2015 are thicker horizontal lines and slider is graphically different overall

Kaptive
12-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Ignore the colorscheme but 2015 are thicker horizontal lines and slider is graphically different overall

Oooh, ok. Well spotted. I was actually thinking of the viewport sliders used for controlling elements in the scene. Like this...

http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/_old/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/sliders_16.jpg

Right, that makes sense. With a thicker bar, it's probably a lot easier to click in. Barely a main feature to tout though is it? It's like Microsoft listing a new graphic for the trash can as a leading feature of Windows 10. Odd.

Sanchon
12-12-2014, 08:22 AM
LW 2015 has still broken sliders when in scene is object with compound node. After saving and reloading such scenes, slider banks are removed.

Paul_Boland
12-12-2014, 09:03 PM

Aww... Is that what it is? I too was thinking it was the Sliders control object for objects in scenes for animation and stuff. So the actual Slider controls have not been updates, just sliders on interface elements have... My original request still stands then, the Lightwave Sliders controls need an update please, LW3DG!!

jeric_synergy
12-13-2014, 12:55 AM
Still kinda baffled why this would warrant a significant mention in the marketing effort. LW3dG, clarification??

inkpen3d
12-13-2014, 05:00 AM
Still kinda baffled why this would warrant a significant mention in the marketing effort. LW3dG, clarification??

Yes, quite, it's like they were scraping the barrel for things to add to the features list just to make it look nice and long at first glance! Well, they forgot to include changing the title in the top window bar from LightWave 11.6.3 to LightWave 2015, so maybe they were not that desperate! ;)

Seriously though, there's some really useful features in 2015, so I can forgive them (i.e. marketing) for over-hyping some of the more minor changes.

jeric_synergy
12-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Apparently, as users report them, there's SEVERAL other enhancements and tweaks , that went UNPROMOTED, that have a little more PIZAZZ!!! than "Improved Slider Drawing". 8~

:confused:

Just typing "Improved Slider Drawing" feels ludicrous.