PDA

View Full Version : Doign the "Despicable Me" Minion Mouth in Classic LW 2015

robertoortiz
11-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Hey guys,
I have a character at work that has a mouth similar to the Minion of Despicable me.
I know how to do this with plug ins but need to use classic Lightwave for this project any ideas or tutorials that could help?

I do want to animate his mouth in classic LW. Any suggestions?125745

Thanks,
-R

ernpchan
11-29-2014, 05:01 PM
What plugins would you use to create this?

If you have to use the base package you've got morphs, bones and object swapping.

robertoortiz
11-29-2014, 05:43 PM
If I was going the plug in rout I would go with one of the 3rd Powers plugins (boolean tool)
(hell I would kill for native lw to have lattice deformers)

ernpchan
11-29-2014, 05:57 PM
So if you're going the 3rd powers boolean tool route you're going with object swapping then?

You can fake a lattice with bones. It's how I got the mouth from Ni-Hao Kai-lan's flat mouth to roll over the curved shape of his head.

If you're gonna go the object swapping route you could have bones in each shape so you could animate in and out of each shape. It's a technique similar to swapping drawings in AE and using the deformation tools to adjust the shapes in and out of their new poses.

ernpchan
11-29-2014, 06:18 PM
To make swapping to the different mouths easier. You could make a script that'll set the opacity via a keyframe. I made something similar in AfterEffects to swap between pose drawings.

robertoortiz
12-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Part of the problem with the character is that he has mixture of highly stylized face expression (the triangle mouth) and natural expressions.
I will try your suggestions.

ernpchan
12-02-2014, 09:13 PM
I say try the head swapping technique. Think of it like swapping pieces in stop motion.

motivalex
12-03-2014, 01:31 AM
If the mouth doesn't need to be 3d geometry, you could use an image sequence timed and setup in After Effects of mouth shapes (3D or 2D renderings), using a bump map seq to give some illusion of depth maybe.

MarcusM
12-03-2014, 02:50 AM
Maybe this you need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hEgE3m50Hw