PDA

View Full Version : Anima and Lightwave - Collada Cleanup

wesleycorgi
11-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Does anyone use Anima with LW? They currently have a 25% off sale (Black Friday/Cyber Monday). I am using their demo right now and it exports to Collada format. However, LW seems to not pick up the textures. Also the way that Anima exports out the file structure for the images is slightly off (or it is off for Mac export). But I can easily do a search and replace to change that, but LW still doesn't read the texture info on import. When I do a search and replace on the texture info, the textures seem to load fine in Sketchup.

So I am curious, how do I get the texture data for collada to read correctly in LW? It's easy enough to go and re-associate the textures in LW, but it takes about 10 minutes per figure. And if the figures are duplicates, I can do a lot of cutting and pasting (or I could probably use Trueart's Global Materials), but still a lot of clean up work if there are multiple figures. The demo only comes stock with 5, but the actual product has 50. On top of it, you still have to associate all the MDD files (for the animations).

The results are really good, though. There was talk a year ago about the developers thinking about doing a plug-in (right now there is only for C4D and 3DS). And in their most recent promo video, they actually show a scene that was imported into LW.

Lewis
12-01-2014, 03:42 AM
I also tested and got white solid characters with no texture applied in LW. Not sure how to solve it "automatically" and yes doing one by one character is tiresome, especially 'coz they all have textures applied.

clintonman
12-01-2014, 08:40 AM
I have a python script, Collada Import Fixer, about half way down the page. If you installed LW with the "expand python option" or whatever it is called then you can skip the first 3 steps of installation.
http://clintons3d.com/plugins/lightwave/index.html

Lewis
12-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks Clinton, i'll ceck out those ASAP as i just got ANiMA so i'll need it :).

kopperdrake
12-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Hi Clinton,

I've had a bash with your plugin, but I'm getting the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\support\plugins\scripts \Python\Layout\Utility\Tool\fix_collada_import.py", line 763, in process
self._tree = ET.parse(self._filepath)
File "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin\lib\xml\etree\Eleme ntTree.py", line 1177, in parse
tree.parse(source, parser)
File "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin\lib\xml\etree\Eleme ntTree.py", line 653, in parse
parser.feed(data)
File "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin\lib\xml\etree\Eleme ntTree.py", line 1624, in feed
self._raiseerror(v)
File "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin\lib\xml\etree\Eleme ntTree.py", line 1488, in _raiseerror
raise err
xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 0

Any idea what that might mean (I assume I've done something daft).

I'm running LW11.5, I unpacked all the python27.zip file to a folder called "Lib", and extracted pyexpat.pyd to /bin - also renamed python27.zip

Wesley - I'm getting the characters in but 2 of the 5 aren't picking up any animation data. I'm not sure if there's a limit on how many you can export, or if I've just messed up the animation itself in Anima. They work fine inside Anima though. Exporting as layers or individual objects seems to make no difference - they call come in as one object/layer. I get all of the surface names bundled into that one object's surface attributes and, as you say, it's long-winded but doable to assign surfaces manually. That needs sorting though, if it were to be a production tool.

I wonder if LW2015 has any more luck?

wesleycorgi
12-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I've been playing with the Collada exports in both LW11.6.3 and LW2015. It hasn't made a difference.

Kopperdrake: In LW11.6.3, I got a similar error message with Clinton3D's plugin. In LW2015, I don't think it gives an error, but it does spit out a bunch of info in the log window. And it doesn't seem to do anything. Note: for both 11.6.3 and 2015, there isn't this Zip file in the folder.

kopperdrake
12-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the update - it saves me testing with LW2015. Hopefully Clinton might have an idea of what's up with the importer. In the meantime I've asked AXYZ if they've any plans to offer a LW exporter their end - that would be fantastic. I'm just waiting for the right job now, to buy it. I can think of umpteen times in the past where it would have been useful, and just recently produced a street scene where some incidental moving people would have been great. I use AXYZ characters for still shots, and it would be great to use the same style for long to mid distance animation.

Megalodon2.0
12-01-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm planning on purchasing as well and also asked them if they are planning on a LW plugin.

Just test out the demo and exported the first scene into LW. Came in without any problems and manually added the textures and MDD file. Looks incredible. There are a few characters every now and then during the 900+ frame animation that pop in and out. Hopefully this wouldn't be a problem with an original scene? Can't play with it too much at the moment since for a change we actually have some work inhouse. But as soon as Axyz gets back to me I'd like to get this. Quite impressive!

What's this with the 59 euro tax?

kopperdrake
12-01-2014, 05:32 PM
I found a bit of popping in Anima itself, but that went away with rejigging the animation paths. It's a bit quirky, the laying out of animation paths themselves, but for a new-ish piece of software, it certainly fills a gap.

Is the tax something to do with the new Euro VAT scheme or something or other?

http://www.icaew.com/en/technical/tax/tax-faculty/tax-webinars/vat-is-changing-in-2015

I've noticed a few companies in Europe taxing us differently over here. Not sure you'd have to pay it would you? It doesn't apply to businesses here though - just Business to Consumer. I've not really looked into it.

Megalodon2.0
12-01-2014, 06:39 PM
I found a bit of popping in Anima itself, but that went away with rejigging the animation paths. It's a bit quirky, the laying out of animation paths themselves, but for a new-ish piece of software, it certainly fills a gap.
Definitely! I can see using this quite a bit in archviz work and adding a much needed layer of "life" far easier than previous methods.

Is the tax something to do with the new Euro VAT scheme or something or other?

http://www.icaew.com/en/technical/tax/tax-faculty/tax-webinars/vat-is-changing-in-2015

I've noticed a few companies in Europe taxing us differently over here. Not sure you'd have to pay it would you? It doesn't apply to businesses here though - just Business to Consumer. I've not really looked into it.
Yeah, I've read about the new Vat thing, though being in the US we shouldn't have to "worry" about that AFAIK. Just wondering why it's showing up long before entering any address. I've asked them so hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

wesleycorgi
12-01-2014, 07:11 PM
What's this with the 59 euro tax?

Not to worry. When I purchased, the VAT went away because I bought from the US. I decided to buy Anima and upgrade my LWCAD (to also get 5 when it comes out) instead of upgrading to LW2015 for now. I'll probably upgrade to 2015 a couple months from now.

And I almost took advantage HDR Studio BF sale; I really like the way you control the light through painting. But I'm doing a bit of archviz/space planning stuff that LWCAD and Anima would help with immediately.

wesleycorgi
12-01-2014, 07:14 PM
There are a few characters every now and then during the 900+ frame animation that pop in and out. Hopefully this wouldn't be a problem with an original scene?

If you look at the sample ~300 frame video that I posted, you'll see pops; I'm thinking it has to do with the walk/action loops set up. You will also notice that the meshes will penetrate/overlap. In my video, you will see a lady in the foreground whose leg will go through the other leg, but then looks fine several frames later.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136508-Anima-3D-People-for-Lightwave-COMING!-with-your-help&p=1411535&viewfull=1#post1411535

clintonman
12-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi Clinton,

I've had a bash with your plugin, but I'm getting the following error:

Any idea what that might mean (I assume I've done something daft).

I'm running LW11.5, I unpacked all the python27.zip file to a folder called "Lib", and extracted pyexpat.pyd to /bin - also renamed python27.zip
The error message makes me think it's setup properly. The error is coming from the library file for reading xml.
I did a test and it worked for me. Imported simple geometry, ran the script and got the texture assigned. I think there is something unexpected ( to me ) in your collada file. Can you post a sample with texture file for me to test?

Megalodon2.0
12-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Not to worry. When I purchased, the VAT went away because I bought from the US. I decided to buy Anima and upgrade my LWCAD (to also get 5 when it comes out) instead of upgrading to LW2015 for now. I'll probably upgrade to 2015 a couple months from now.
Went ahead and pulled the trigger myself. Can't pass up on that 25% discount. Since I had zero problems getting the demo scene into LW11.6, I figured I can learn how to create my own animations on the full version with relatively little pain. Considering what you get with this program, it seems like a VERY good value to me. Looking forward to getting into it as soon as I can find some time. :)

And thanks for answering the tax question! :)

wesleycorgi
12-01-2014, 11:55 PM
And thanks for answering the tax question! :)

No problem.

I want to see if I can build a stadium of people like they show in the demo; that would be cool.