PDA

View Full Version : Layout - viewport panning speed at high zoom level?

madno
11-29-2014, 08:33 AM
Hi,

if I zoom deeply into a viewport (e.g. front) in Layout, panning is not smooth anymore.
At normal zoom levels everything is fine. I can pan by keyboard shortcut or icon in the viewport and get a smooth
movement. But if zoomed far in, even a tiny movement of the mouse results in hysterical jumps in the viewport.
I tried different mouse, LW 11 and LW 2015, updated the drivers for the Quadro K card. Nothing helps.
In Modeler it is different. Whatever number of polys I through at it and at whatever zoom level, the panning remains smooth.

Furthermore: In Modeler the zoom happens around the position of the mouse. In Layout it happens around the center of the viewport. Can I change Layout to behave like Modeler?

Had anybody else such a problem and was able to solve it?

MarcusM
11-29-2014, 08:49 AM
In Modeler grid size is changing automatically during zoom in/out, in Layout it set up on some value depend form scene. You can change this value in Preferences->Grid Square Size.
Maybe this solve your problem if i understood correct.
From this what i know you can't change "zoom center" in Layout to zoom in to cursor position.

madno
11-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Wow,
i did know about the "change grid size manually" requirement, but never thought it could affect the panning behaviour.
After changing the grid size to 1 mm it is still not perfect but much better than before.

Thanks.

spherical
11-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Can't change from center Zoom in Layout but it can auto-center selected geometry. To temporarily and quickly change Grid Size without having to go to a settings dialog, use the [ and ] keys. The size is displayed at the lower left of the UI, so you can keep track of what it is, but is not editable there.

stiff paper
11-30-2014, 02:09 AM
This is deliberate functionality. You can think of the grid size in Layout as being a way of making the scale of your movements be proportional, appropriate and "useful" for your current scene size.

If your scene is 2km across, it's hopeless to try to navigate from one side to the other if you have to move in "steps" of 0.25mm, likewise if your scene is 2mm across and you can only move in "steps" of 5m you'll not be happy. It does have to be user controlled, because you can have a 2km scene with patches of 2mm detail in it.

It becomes second nature to skip up and down grid sizes with the [ and ] keys.

madno
11-30-2014, 04:13 AM
Shortcut is < > now (German keyboard requires ALTGR + [ ] which leads to strange results sometimes).
:-)

spherical
11-30-2014, 03:55 PM
On my installs, those are Zoom Out x2 and Zoom In x2 on the active viewport only. Grid size doesn't change with them; where it does with []. Or are you saying that you changed your keyboard shortcuts from default?

madno
12-01-2014, 12:11 AM
The latter one. I zoom with CTRL + ALT + mouse move, so never needed <> for that.