PDA

View Full Version : Configure Keys/Menus Search command suddenly missing in 2015

hdace
11-28-2014, 10:00 AM
This is a feature I use once or twice a week, usually when I can remember a command in my head but can't remember which menu or keyboard shortcut executes it. Once I've found it with Search I then hit Find and viola. Is it just me, or just Mac? Should I fog it?

jeric_synergy
11-28-2014, 10:31 AM
#aflw
If the usual hotkey doesn't work, it's probably, kinda ironically, been redefined in the hotkey editor itself.

Check the Editor buttons in the top group (upper left) and see if it's still in your menus, fire it up, and re-add your preferred hotkey.

btw, 99% of my use of the Menu Editor is, like you, Searching for buttons. If the Mac has an equivalent to Auto HotKey (AHK), you can automate the click on SEARCH by having the utility click on it whenever you fire up the Menu Editor. It's been a great time-saver. (It means I have to hit CANCEL if I'm not Searching, but that's only 1% of the time.)

+: w/a new install, it's probably just a different config than you're used to.

hdace
11-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks, but I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear. When you open either the Configure Keys or Configure Menus window, there's supposed to be a button on the right of the panel called "Search". It's always been there, at least since version 8, and now it's gone. I want it back. I asked if I should fog it. That's the question that I need answered. Thanks.

3DGFXStudios
11-28-2014, 12:13 PM
There is a new search function in 2015. You need to type it into the thing in the top left corner. It searches in real time!!! :D

Lewis
11-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Yes, now it's much better, more like filter/input field, no need to type and click search button any more.

jeric_synergy
11-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Thanks, but I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear. When you open either the Configure Keys or Configure Menus window, there's supposed to be a button on the right of the panel called "Search". It's always been there, at least since version 8, and now it's gone. I want it back. I asked if I should fog it. That's the question that I need answered. Thanks.
Screen grab would've made that clear.

Isn't it in the dox?

Yes, now it's much better, more like filter/input field, no need to type and click search button any more.
Since my main use of SEARCH is to find out where a function got to, I'll be given that feature a workout when I upgrade.

Is the SEARCH field already selected/hot/got_focus when you invoke the editor? That would ROCK. No clicking at all. (If not, AHK to the rescue.)

hdace
11-28-2014, 04:32 PM
There is a new search function in 2015. You need to type it into the thing in the top left corner. It searches in real time!!! :D

Oh yeah! Duh... It is better!

spherical
11-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Yeah, this had me going the first time I went to change the menu layout. Unlabelled, it just looks like a UI decoration. Having "Search" ghosted out in the entry box would take care of this.

jeric_synergy
11-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Yeah, this had me going the first time I went to change the menu layout. Unlabelled, it just looks like a UI decoration. Having "Search" ghosted out in the entry box would take care of this.
Agreed. Let's bug Matt. ;)

Skonk
11-30-2014, 09:26 AM
There is also some odd selection behaviour within the resulting list produced by the search.

Search for a term, click into the list and initially it will either select nothing, or select the wrong item. A second click selects the correct item.

jeric_synergy
11-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Yeah, Snosrap posted a video. Flood FobBugz w/your reports.