PDA

View Full Version : LW 2015 FBX --> Unreal Engine

Dillon
11-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Long time user, and just taking initial steps into game design.

I am curious to know if anyone knows the workflow yet of moving animation data between LW 2015 and Unreal? I've successfully imported models in LW11, but FBX support was lacking. Has LW2015 FBX update included support for moving animation data between LW and Unreal?

Please forgive me if this is obvious, I'm pretty new to Unreal. :)

Dillon
11-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Answered my own question, and it was profoundly simple. "export animation". Works beautifully!

Imported a rag doll from the 2015 samples, and the physics from the bones of the dolls is applied automatically!!!! I hit play in Unreal, and the rag dolls proceeded to fall down, like rag dolls.

LW3D Group - what have you done?!

Long time user, and just taking initial steps into game design.

I am curious to know if anyone knows the workflow yet of moving animation data between LW 2015 and Unreal? I've successfully imported models in LW11, but FBX support was lacking. Has LW2015 FBX update included support for moving animation data between LW and Unreal?

Please forgive me if this is obvious, I'm pretty new to Unreal. :)

tyrot
11-28-2014, 10:42 AM
hmm so you say it is working! FBX export to UDK is working ..that is a very good news..!

Dillon
11-28-2014, 10:52 AM
I've taken a long break from doing anything serious in 3D, while watching the game engines becoming incredibly awesome. Then came Oculus and VR finally getting its bearings. I don't have the patience for learning a new 3D app, so I've been waiting and praying and hoping that LW3D Group would update FBX. Not only have they updated it, they did it incredibly. I need to know a LOT more about lightwave and Unreal now. I am so freaking excited!

Seriously! The rag dolls have their physics applied to them in Unreal! It's ... unreal!

hmm so you say it is working! FBX export to UDK is working ..that is a very good news..!

MarcusM
11-28-2014, 11:14 AM
It's should be mentioned as a LightWave - Unreal Engine integration by LW3DG :]

Propably there still missing Transform values in FBX exporter because in Layout there is not something like this (Transform in Maya). I had problems with pivots transform in LW->Unity in this or last year. Developers know about this, there was a thread.

Dillon
11-28-2014, 11:43 AM
hahaha! this is too easy.

Took the humanoid genoma2 and animated a kick. Exported FBX.

Imported a fbx saved rag doll and genoma2 into unreal. Genoma humanoid now kicks rag doll's *** across the floor!

hahaha! Game on!

CaptainMarlowe
11-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Can you post a vid ? Seems fun !

Dillon
11-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Yes indeed, it appears the axis for animation in LW is at a 90 degree difference in orientation. As soon as I apply an fbx anim only file to a skeleton, the mesh rotates 90 degrees pitch to play the animation.

Must ... learn ... more....

It's should be mentioned as a LightWave - Unreal Engine integration by LW3DG :]

Propably there still missing Transform values in FBX exporter because in Layout there is not something like this (Transform in Maya). I had problems with pivots transform in LW->Unity in this or last year. Developers know about this, there was a thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I will, as soon as I figure out the workflow! A few kinks to look at (or maybe I did something wrong, I'm a novice at Unreal).

Can you post a vid ? Seems fun !

stiff paper
11-28-2014, 01:32 PM
RebelHill has a set of vids about FBX and LightWave. I can't swear they'll definitely be very helpful, but they certainly won't hurt any. If I remember rightly, he covers the 90 degree orientation thing:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5F0EDCD3471EE8FC

tyrot
11-28-2014, 01:47 PM
dude i am seriously watching this thread... FBX export is a life saver for me.. any workflow help would be awesome...

Dillon
11-29-2014, 04:35 AM
Its 3am here. I woke up about 30 minutes ago, my head exploding with all sorts of new possibilities for expression and creativity. With this new updated FBX support, I now feel the need to learn everything I can about how to exploit this interchange format, and how much Unreal and LW can now talk to each other.

While there is a 90 degree orientation difference on object import, I've been able to animate and save off different fbx anim files from LW and load into a single skeleton for mapping and playback of actions. Press 'w', and the character kneels. Press 'x', the character waves. It's just awesome.

I want to go a little deeper in understanding how all this works (particularly animaion blueprints in Unreal) and then I'll post a video. So far, my limited understanding of what I'm seeing is this: The Genoma2 human rig setup translates perfectly well via FBX to Unreal Engine! This makes me incredibly excited to explore what other possibilities now exist. Tossing in one of LW's rag dolls into Unreal and watching it react to physics was ... just ... O.O

Where to go next ... read up on Genoma2. TTYL!

dude i am seriously watching this thread... FBX export is a life saver for me.. any workflow help would be awesome...

Dillon
11-29-2014, 04:44 AM
Thanks for this! I started watching, and then saw these were recorded in 2010. While very informative, I'm pretty sure the information is out of date for LW 2015 FBX support. This has prompted me to jump in and aggressively relearn LW's animation capabilities; specifically Genoma2.

- - - Updated - - -

RebelHill has a set of vids about FBX and LightWave. I can't swear they'll definitely be very helpful, but they certainly won't hurt any. If I remember rightly, he covers the 90 degree orientation thing:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5F0EDCD3471EE8FC

Thanks for this! I started watching, and then saw these were recorded in 2010. While very informative, I'm pretty sure the information is out of date for LW 2015 FBX support. This has prompted me to jump in and aggressively relearn LW's animation capabilities; specifically Genoma2.

Dillon
11-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Slowly working my way through learning the basics of genoma and relearning bones (it's been that long). Bouncing back and forth between Unreal and LW2015 and applying animations to simple objects is fun and easy.

I see in the window of the fbx exporter an option for "blend shapes"; I assume these are endomorphs? I've applied an endomorph, animated it, and it shows in layout, animated and all. But the endomorph information doesn't carry over to Unreal. Is there another way to send morph information to Unreal? Why have "blend shapes" as an fbx export option? Hmm.

I realize I might be the only person on the planet wading into this (LW to Unreal), but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Cageman
11-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Does Unreal support blenshapes/endomorphs?

MarcusM
11-29-2014, 08:19 AM
Does Unreal support blenshapes/endomorphs?

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/MorphTargets/index.html

Dillon
11-29-2014, 09:09 AM
OH MY GOD! ENDOMORPHS WORK!! (I forgot to tick off a hidden box that needed to be revealed on import).

ianr
11-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Dillon... you sound a happy Bunny, is there chance

you can throw an anim together to show us your joy?

Dillon
11-29-2014, 09:34 AM
I will, I will! I promise! I'm just getting acclamated to what is possible, and feeling like a total newbie all over again. Very new to Unreal, and re-acquainting myself with the character animation tools in LW after a long hiatus. I'm totally thrilled that morphs and bone animation can now be moved from LW to Unreal.

I've been experiencing a few glitches and lots of crashes now that I've started tempting the engine with morphs. Perhaps I should move over to the PC side. More info to come.

What I'd love to do is set up a blueprint animation that activates a morph when I press a button or click. MUAHAHAHAHA!

Yes. I'm. Ecstatic. Dream came true with LW2015.

Dillon... you sound a happy Bunny, is there chance

you can throw an anim together to show us your joy?

MarcusM
11-29-2014, 09:36 AM
It's strange that LW3DG missed that infomation in LW 2015 marketing materials. Maybe they plan for example add "smoothing groups" in Modeler and then inform loud about LW->Unreal.

mummyman
11-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Very interested to see more in this post! I've recently had to finish a project transferring everything to XSI from LW using FBX and MDD's. (not loving that method) So this is seriously promising! COOL. Can't wait to see some vids.

tyrot
11-29-2014, 10:55 AM
yes yes vids are required!

Dillon
11-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Ugh. My modeling skills still suck. Trying to make a dune style worm with agape mouth to program to open (so I can make a video and upload without embarrassing myself).

yes yes vids are required!

tyrot
11-29-2014, 12:12 PM
it is ok.... you can demo it with a box even
thanks in advance.....

OnlineRender
11-29-2014, 12:21 PM
great to know thank you ! no pressure on the videos :) good thing come to those who wait ...

I have been getting to grips with AR ,LW and Unity recently

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10448785_919109164780096_252363671179930204_n.jpg? oh=0ccf1ca6442f3380442ff716a1ce8bf3&oe=5509FCE7&__gda__=1426331545_5244b940582c6eef6b554ad79e07021 b

Dillon
11-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Alright, how do I upload a video file for display here? .mp4 file format.

Just captured a live (VPR) playback from Layout and then jumped over to Unreal Engine and started the simulation with the same scene. Crappy model. No texture. But bones and morphs WORK!

Dillon
11-29-2014, 01:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKBckg2m0uk&feature=youtu.be

mummyman
11-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Sweet!

ianr
12-01-2014, 06:40 AM
Dillon,
I smell a direction maybe where this going with Un-Real,
If endomorphs are kept & it's a good robust pipe....then...
What with what we have got in Virt Studio + Kat's Occulus
camera's stir in with Rob's Nested Worlds from Cameron.

And Bake!

We have Lighwave VR.. taddadah!!

P.S. 'Hand me down ma glove(VR) boy's
a may have a need of it, ter strap it on
just one more time , ,huh?'

mummyman
01-08-2015, 04:16 PM
How does Unreal handle dense, organic models? Would it still have to be baked out? Can Unreal use MDD files? Time to do some research! How are things going?

ArtGoblin
02-18-2015, 07:26 AM
Does anyone know how to get the morps animation/envelopes come in with the morphtargets inside of Unreal ?!?

It works with blendshapes in maya, but when I do it from LW-layout I only get the morphtargets, so I'd have to redo all the animating on stuff relying on morphs.

How does Unreal handle dense, organic models? Would it still have to be baked out? Can Unreal use MDD files? Time to do some research! How are things going?

Unreal currently doesnt support geo-catch in any form other that manually doing it with blendshapes/morphs.... don't reccommend it :)

But it's on their roadmap, but probably won't show itself in the near future.

tonybliss
10-12-2015, 03:13 AM
Bumping this thread up, per Art Goblin's question, is it possible to export (or where to find in Unreal) LW morph animation envelopes ?
PS Thanks Dillon for your research and sharing .. helped me a lot!

mummyman
10-12-2015, 06:28 AM
I found this for Unity.. no clue about Unreal http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=114

tonybliss
10-13-2015, 03:20 AM
cool set, just i stubbornly choose to stick with and master unreal

mummyman
10-13-2015, 06:15 AM
Excellent choice! Results look amazing from what I'm seeing online.