PDA

View Full Version : LightWave for ArchViz

Sanchon
11-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Hello LightWavers.

After months of testing I think that LW have the best possibility to make fast, cheap and professional architectural visualizations.

1. Separated Layout and Modeler is very good because main aplication is not loaded by modelling operations. Layout is the fastest 3D environment. If you do not believe - load the same big arch-viz exterior scene to 3ds Max, Modo, Cinema and LightWave and make test.

2. Ligtwave can render faster the same scene with equal quality. Modo can't operate with big scene that have big amount of hi-poly objects and instances ( replicators ). Navigation within such scene is much faster in LW. You can go to Modo forum - many users is not satisfied with the interaction.

3. Instance placement - many options and placement can be driven by nodes, procedural textures, weight maps or painted bitmaps in Photoshop. Indyvidual instances can be driven by nulls. There is freedom. This is power of nodes. If you can do this in Modo, 3ds Max without external plugins - good, but what price ?

4. In LW we can make individual instances to be displayed as colored point clouds and wires. This not possible in another software. This is very important during creation of vegetation in settlements.

spherical
11-26-2014, 08:58 PM
After months of testing I think that LW have the best possibility to make fast, cheap and professional architectural visualizations.

1. Separated Layout and Modeler is very good because main aplication is not loaded by modelling operations. Layout is the fastest 3D environment. If you do not believe - load the same big arch-viz exterior scene to 3ds Max, Modo, Cinema and LightWave and make test.

2. Ligtwave can render faster the same scene with equal quality. Modo can't operate with big scene that have big amount of hi-poly objects and instances ( replicators ). Navigation within such scene is much faster in LW. You can go to Modo forum - many users is not satisfied with the interaction.

With LightWave, we do a lot of individual product development, sometimes in architectural settings, and I agree. When I want only to model on a given day, that's all I start up. I get that unified is good for certain operations. It isn't for ALL operations. That's why I have Modo and LightWave... among others too numerous to list.

jeric_synergy
11-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Hello LightWavers.
Well, THAT'S refreshing! :D

djwaterman
11-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Your portfolio speaks for itself, intense vibrant detailed visualizations, I'm sure your clients are very happy.

Tartiflette
11-27-2014, 02:41 AM
Good to see your thoughts on LightWave for archviz, because, as DJWaterman said, your portfolio speaks for itself and these thoughts are invaluable.

I came to the same conclusion a few months ago, when i started to do some archviz renders (after a few years without doing any, and boy, did the average level go up during that period !) and was looking for viable alternatives to LightWave, especially in the rendering department, where some render engines are probably more advanced than the current LightWave is.

But all those solutions came with a lot of downsides, eventually putting their advantages to zero when i needed to do some "serious" visualization.
Granted i'm more efficient in LightWave than any other package (and probably always will be) but still, LightWave provides an unique combination of speed and render quality that makes it hardly beatable when it comes to deliver the shots.

Anyway, i'm glad you came to that conclusion, i was afraid to see you leave when i saw you had a sale on eBay for a LightWave license.

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

Amurrell
11-27-2014, 04:37 AM
I've been messing around with other apps as well and came to the conclusion that I am just unable to achieve the same results in other apps, or take a project to completion as fast as I can in LightWave. Maybe it's because I've been using LightWave for nearly 10 years, though not as constantly as I would have liked for many of those years, but recently I've been hitting it pretty hard.

I've tried XSI, Blender, Max, MODO and I just keep coming back to LightWave In a pinch. I think it just clicks with me, and it never ceases to amaze me. I also believe that a lot of functionality in LightWave has been forgotten by its users, because through a little research, I find more and more things possible with LightWave than I even knew.

I thought I was going to switch commercial apps here recently, but I just can't bring myself to do it. LightWave is my home in 3D.

allabulle
11-27-2014, 04:51 AM
I agree it has strengths and other packages do too. What's more relevant to me is that it's as viable as others. Since I prefer it too, I agree with you. LWCAD made me stay more than other things, though.

What I'd love, and I mean loooove, is to have buckets in the renderer, and micro polygon displacement. We have ways to overcome its lack of both, but an efficient way to render a still using several computers (buckets) with less RAM (always a good thing, right?) would be lovely. The adaptive subdivision don't work that good for me. Even if it's not the same anyway (as micro polygon displacement), I still struggle to make real sense of the workflow each time I need to use it. Maybe that's more to do with me not taking the time to really master it, but some more or less standard way of displacement (and at render time, not just in the scene) would be more welcome.

Being said that, I do agree: I also come back and stay. I can't seem to get rid of LightWave! Hah! Nice thing, sure. :)

To be able to model in camera would be a treat, too. But it's getting adressed, albeit not fully, in the new 2015 release (not really tested here so forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm assuming from the video presentation). Also the clip maps as surface data instead of object data in Layout is fantastic!

Wickedpup
11-27-2014, 05:36 AM

3. Instance placement - many options and placement can be driven by nodes, procedural textures, weight maps or painted bitmaps in Photoshop. Indyvidual instances can be driven by nulls. There is freedom. This is power of nodes. If you can do this in Modo, 3ds Max without external plugins - good, but what price ?

There is a flaw in your logic. In point 1 you talk of separation of Layout/Modeller as an advantage (not loading modelling operations). Then you go ahead and ignore this advantage and doesn't take it into consideration when comparing it with Modo in point 2. Have often wondered about how to run a fair comparison between Modo and Layout when Modo have modelling operations stealing resources. Closest thing I can think of in the spur of a moment would be only using static meshes in Modo....

As for instance placement I do think you can do most of that nodal in Modo at no extra cost so I"m not sure what you are getting at with the price?

But Lightwave can do arch-viz....your portfolio is a testimony to that.:thumbsup:

Sylver
11-27-2014, 05:44 AM
Agreed - LWCAD is the bomb... really, it makes Archviz a snap. Newtek (and the community) owe a lot to Viktor's work, because it is the reason so many even bother to use modeler at all.

With that being said, the LW Octane Render users are also blessed to have Juanjo, who is doing such an amazing job on the LW Octane plugin. Since I started using it to render fly-throughs, I can now effortlessly render out a full 120 second animation overnight while I'm asleep, then run it through After-Effects and encode in the morning over a cup of coffee. Bada-Bing-Bada-Boom - Done!

prometheus
11-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Hello LightWavers.

4. In LW we can make individual instances to be displayed as colored point clouds and wires. This not possible in another software. This is very important during creation of vegetation in settlements.

Not true, vue can set itīs display to use wires or box for instances/ecosystem, I think houdini can be set to showcase whatever too.

Great porfolio by the way, fantastic work.

Lewis
11-27-2014, 11:17 PM
You lost me at "separation is advantage" ;).

But good to see it's working for you :).

erikals
11-28-2014, 08:23 AM
separate environments can be an advantage, but it stops there! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif