PDA

View Full Version : Tangent Space Normal Mapping Issues

DNA87
11-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Something that has been bugging me for quite some time is how normal maps work inside :lwicon: Lightwave so I'm setting this thread up to see if anyone has any solutions to getting Tangent Space Normals to work correctly.

I am finding that loading tangent space normal maps only work when you flip the channels to suit the camera, making them only work as screen space normal maps. I regularly work in a scene which you have to animate a camera which is not really ideal as this then starts to light all the objects with any kind of normal map incorrectly. This has quite a detrimental effect on how I optimise my scenes as I can't use these maps to aid lighting my work flow and in the just resort to higher poly versions. This then makes layout sluggish, unstable with exponential render times.

I work with external programs such as Roadkill and and Xnormal for UV'ing and baking as Lightwave is far to fiddly to get anything that is useful in these areas just yet. (if you don't know what I mean unwrapping anything more complex than a box just end up getting frustrated/resorting to cubic mapped procedurals.

I have tried Object Space bakes from X Normal which again have no better results as Light wave is taking the camera co-ordinates to change the lighting. World space normal maps baked from Lightwave itself work properly but I am still yet to try this but that's not really what looking to work with. Anyone who has worked with normal maps will be aware that editing Tangent Space Normals is easier than object or world space with programs such as NDO2, DDO or substance painter.

I have tried images into the shaders normal input as well as the normal node to no avail.

Does anyone know of any plugins/Fixes in lightwave that work with/in 11.6 that help to resolve this problem with the displaying of Tangent space normals showing in screen space? :help:

Kindest and hopeful regards

Dan

DNA87
12-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Hi to all that read this thread. For those who have their scenes set to sRBG as default, the reason your normal maps do not work is because when the images are converted from linear to sRBG (within lightwave) it changes the colours of the Normal map, hence changing the normal maps lighting solution. Convert all your Normal Maps in the image editor off default to linear and that will solve it =D. Happy Normal Mapping.