PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Weaponry

Columbo24
11-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Hi
I'm modeling some weaponry. I'm having trouble making some of the details. I've included a pic that resembles what I'm trying to do as far as detail. There are recesses , etched lines that I'm having difficulty with. I'v tried sub patch mode to get the contours but I can't get the etched lines in sub patch. I also cannot Boolean in sub patch for some of the detail. When dealing machines such as cars guns etc. Do you do the whole gun in sub patch ? Do you do some layers in sub patch and others not. I can't get hard edges in sub patch mode to make this style of gun. Do you make the parts separately and then put them together. Any tutorials or advice would be appreciated on guns or cars? Thanks
Bill

djwaterman
11-25-2014, 06:40 PM
You've answered most of the questions yourself. It will be easier if you separate the parts as much as possible, just like a real gun. Some people will sub patch the shape, freeze it and boolean the smaller details in (not a fan of this). Just looking at some good wire frames of similar complex shaped objects is a good thing to do, so you can see how others have gone about it. But it is a learning curve, I would even think about finding a good tutorial that tackles something like this and just slavishly follow along, as boring as that is it can really help, and you'd only have to do it once, or up to the point where you don't need to continue because you now understand the process.

BeeVee
11-26-2014, 01:13 AM
Also, the curve of a subpatch is created by the distance between points. If you want to tighten the curve, you can make the points closer together. You can also do it by weighting the curve, but that's more advanced.

I've made you a very simple object. On layer 2 I hit tab to subpatch it, on layer 3 I used the Detail > Edit Edges tool to create new edge loops and moved them close to other edge loops to tighten the curves.

Hope this helps,

B

Surrealist.
11-26-2014, 01:45 AM
Start with some basics. Have a look at my tutorial as well.

BeeVee
11-26-2014, 02:56 AM
Yes do! It's brilliant.

B