PDA

View Full Version : What would be the ideal length of development cycle for LightWave

hrgiger
11-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Just curious what everyone thinks would work best in terms of lengths of a development cycle. Would you like a longer development cycle or a shorter one. Maybe the implication of a longer development cycle that there would be a few free feature updates. Personally I think somewhere between 18 months and 2 years should be the maximum. What do you all think? And maybe say why you picked your particular ideal development cycle.

I think a shorter cycle like 18 months might be better for a few reasons.. I think it might encourage good planning on goals for development and I think it would be good to bring in more regular revenue to spur LightWave development.

hazmat777
11-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Voted 18 months cause 2 years might be a bit long these days when it comes to competition.

By the way, I DO like turtles, but prefer cats (domestic and wild) and birds of prey (especially Peregrine falcons). :)

jasonwestmas
11-25-2014, 06:46 PM
I think dev time is somewhat irrelavant in this case. Like you've mentioned above, more specific goals need to be made for Lightwave. For example, adding a weight map painting system that is well thought out and fast to use OR create a system of weighting deformers that is faster and more accurate than the traditional methods of skinning a model. Lets get some modeling tools inside of layout that help the animation process. These are goals that make lightwave more attractive than the competition as opposed to simply adding in what other programs already have (bullet) (which is important but not the fundamental stuff that is desperately needed).

I think I'd have to get back to you after I take a closer look at 2015 but I'm afraid that this release is not getting to the fundamental improvements that I was wanting to see. Mainly improvements for quicker more controlled keyframing/animation/deformation. I may change my opinion on that in some regards after I see the latest bullet implementation and checking out the new graph editor changes. I still get the sense lw3dg are perfecting a lot of features that are already pretty good in Lightwave 11 while they still struggle to make these deep changes everyone is talking about.

Anyway I'm interested in taking a much closer look.

shrox
11-25-2014, 07:24 PM
15 seconds? I want it now!

I am still with 9.6 because I don't quite trust 11.x from what I have read. So for me, 5 years?

Nicolas Jordan
11-25-2014, 08:19 PM
I think it would be Ok with having annual releases but the upgrade price should probably be $395 in that case. There would probably be big changes and features that might take longer than 12 months to develop but these can just be released as they are ready and integrated into the next version. I think this is what LW3DG is going to do now anyway since this released was called "Lightwave 2015".

BeeVee
11-26-2014, 01:03 AM
You missed off the option I would have voted for. 3'6".

B

ncr100
11-26-2014, 01:33 AM
What units are you using BeeVee, Fahrenheit?

:)

Ernest
11-26-2014, 02:10 AM
What units are you using BeeVee, Fahrenheit?

:)

3 's and 6 "s would be '''"""""", which converted to decimal would be 39 39 39 34 34 34 34 34 34
So I interpret that he wants an upgrade every 321 days.

BeeVee
11-26-2014, 02:23 AM
I used to use Angstroms, but got fed up of writing pages of digits for a shopping list.

B

willin
11-26-2014, 03:50 AM
As long as it takes them to put out s fairly improve and bug squashed application.
Really not even 24 hours and the speculations begin.
Lets try upgrading for change so they can get paid and continue their work.

motivalex
11-26-2014, 04:57 AM
15 seconds? I want it now!

I am still with 9.6 because I don't quite trust 11.x from what I have read. So for me, 5 years?

I don't understand this. I can be Mr Lightwave Critic but LW11.6 is leaps ahead in features and stabilty than the dinosaur 9.6. These days I'm almost using LW daily for work so I do push it. The updates keeps me putting off going full time C4D :)
There are bugs but probably less than in 9.6 as I recall.

motivalex
11-26-2014, 05:02 AM
I voted annually as all their competitors are now doing so inc Cinema 4D and Modo. They got to push development and innovation quicker now to stay relevant in the market place. I want frequent bug fix service packs too.

stiff paper
11-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Where's the "Variable. No fixed length. Depending on when features are ready for release." option?

Don't agree with any of them. Don't agree it has to be fixed. Therefore, turtles.

My preferences aside, I think annually is probably the way the whole market is turning.

shrox
11-26-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't understand this. I can be Mr Lightwave Critic but LW11.6 is leaps ahead in features and stabilty than the dinosaur 9.6. These days I'm almost using LW daily for work so I do push it. The updates keeps me putting off going full time C4D :)
There are bugs but probably less than in 9.6 as I recall.

But I have to pay for it myself...

ernpchan
11-26-2014, 11:51 AM

11 is a pretty strong version. What about 11/have you read that you don't trust?

shrox
11-26-2014, 12:08 PM
There are quite a few threads that mention serious bugs with it. I know the bugs of 9.6.1, and I work so I don't encounter them much any more, like the HVs intersecting a plane bug. I used them as rocks for a while, until they broke.

ernpchan
11-26-2014, 12:12 PM
There are quite a few threads that mention serious bugs with it. I know the bugs of 9.6.1, and I work so I don't encounter them much any more, like the HVs intersecting a plane bug. I used them as rocks for a while, until they broke.

Ah ok. Haven't encountered that many bugs with it and I know the team is very active in squashing bugs. I guess it comes down to if the features in 11 are worth the cost to you. LW9.6 is a pretty solid version though.

shrox
11-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Ah ok. Haven't encountered that many bugs with it and I know the team is very active in squashing bugs. I guess it comes down to if the features in 11 are worth the cost to you. LW9.6 is a pretty solid version though.

Oh, it's worth the cost, I just don't have the means now. It's been a almost year since I filed an appeal about disability.