PDA

View Full Version : 3play4800 playback “field flickering”

mario.silva
11-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Hello, I’ve a 3play4800 and a serious issue…
When I use any playback speed different of 100%, I get a very disturbing “field flickering”. All thins horizontal lines seem to flicker or jump up and down. How can I fix that and get a clean and smooth high quality playback? I´m working on sdi PAL SD.

kanep
11-25-2014, 09:41 PM
I don't use PAL much (or SD), but have you checked to make sure you have the latest rev of 3PLAY software. It's my understanding the quality was improved when working with SD in the latest version (released a few weeks ago).

mario.silva
11-26-2014, 05:58 AM
Yes, I've the latest version. 3-1 141106.3

kanep
11-26-2014, 03:58 PM
I'd give support a call then.

What are you watching playback on?

mario.silva
11-27-2014, 06:18 AM
I’m watching on a CRT, on LCD an even the 3play multiview the problem is there. In the CRT It’s more severe but all of them are showing the "flicker". There's a sample for you: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pepez9xr1mnalc6/AADh9hOhBgFXS8iMe6SFNn9ca?dl=0 .
tks

mario.silva
12-01-2014, 06:28 AM
This is a major issue… I´m waiting an answer from Newtek.

SBowie
12-01-2014, 03:06 PM
I'm not really sure how you beat interlace flicker in an SD image, and frankly it's even more of a problem in PAL, given the noticeably lower framerate. It wouldn't be that big a deal to handle in post to a satisfactory degree, but in realtime for instant replay, it's another matter. I'll ask around, though.

[Followup: I've talked to the 3Play dev team about this, and essentially, it seems like 'this is how it is', sorry. 3Play 440 and 4800 use the same realtime slomo interpolation method as major competitors, but interlace flicker is inherent to imagery with thin horizontal lines, and more obvious in SD and especially so at already slower framerates.]

mario.silva
12-04-2014, 04:53 AM
I'm not really sure how you beat interlace flicker in an SD image, and frankly it's even more of a problem in PAL, given the noticeably lower framerate. It wouldn't be that big a deal to handle in post to a satisfactory degree, but in realtime for instant replay, it's another matter. I'll ask around, though.

[Followup: I've talked to the 3Play dev team about this, and essentially, it seems like 'this is how it is', sorry. 3Play 440 and 4800 use the same realtime slomo interpolation method as major competitors, but interlace flicker is inherent to imagery with thin horizontal lines, and more obvious in SD and especially so at already slower framerates.]

I’m feeling cheated. I’ve never seen on any 3play document or advertising a reference to this limitation. Everything I've read says the opposite. I quote from Newtek web page:
“Replay more dramatically – in real time, hyperspeed, or slo-mo, with razor-sharp clarity produced by a breakthrough super-resolution algorithm, using your standard HD and SD cameras on hand. Pre-set or manual operation with T-Bar-controlled playback and rates from -200% to 200% satisfy fan appetites at every speed.” ( in: http://www.newtek.com/products/3play-4800/3play4800.html)

“Interpolated Slow Motion
Amplify the intensity of highlights or analyze the action frame-by-frame with smooth, interpolated slow motion. Replay the action at half-speed, quarter-speed and more with incredible clarity and detail.” ( in: http://www.newtek.com/3play-features-in-depth#playout)

It’s sad that Newtek announces unreal features.
It’s sad to have “'this is how it is', sorry.” for an answer.

SBowie
12-04-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm very sorry you're disappointed. I'm afraid this isn't really a limitation of 3Play, though, it's inherent your SD video format. The slomoed video is, in fact, "sharp" - or as sharp as SD 'is'. And that's your issue, the reason why you're getting flicker on thin horizontal lines.

Actually, the specific interpolation system applied favors sharpness. In post, you can reduce flicker by applying a little blur, line doubling, or inter-field interpolation. And of course, with progressive sources, it's no problem at all. But for realtime replay applications, users wanted sharpness, as opposed to methods that might reduce flicker but would invariably introduce some result motion blur. This is how all major replay systems on the market handle the matter.

mario.silva
04-13-2015, 05:30 AM

Hello, my troubles still the same.
I noticed that using the jog wheel I’ve a smooth playback, without the flicker that I get if using the tbar or play in slow speed. That´s because, I think, the playback mode used in jog is single field and all the other modes are interlaced. If I could change the playback mode, my problem will be solved. Is that possible?

ps: sorry for my poor English.