PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3D Demo version?

Jeannie
11-29-2003, 10:17 AM
I've been doing some research on 3D programs for an upcoming project. I am a graphic designer with no official 3D experience, but think that LightWave may be what I need. My problem is that I cannot find a way to download a demo version of LightWave before I actually make the purchase. I have been all over the web sight and have found nothing. I work off a G4, dual processor. Is there such an animal as a demo version and how do I download it. Thanks

WizCraker
11-29-2003, 10:54 AM
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/misc/LWDE.zip

it includes both the Mac and PC install files plus other stuff.

Jeannie
11-29-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks VizCraker for the link. I downloaded it, but it won't install. It keeps telling me that I don't have an application to open it. What am i doing wrong? Thanks

WizCraker
11-29-2003, 03:15 PM
It is compressed you need to uncompress it. the format is zip so your computer should have something that can unzip it.

Jeannie
11-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Yes, I know that it's compressed. I unzipped the file and have a folder on my desktop titled LDWE.
Inside that I have a folder for mac-install, but all it contains is documents that cannot be opened. There are no installers for the program. I have downloaded demo versions of other programs before and have never had this problem.
Thanks

Melvil
11-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Hi Jeannie! Welcome!

I just downloaded the file from above and everything seemed to be in order. Everything was there for both the PC and Mac version. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps your download was somehow corrupted...If it's not too much trouble you might try downloading it again. Besides that I don't know. :(

-Dave

Jeannie
11-30-2003, 08:44 AM
OK, I give up! I have downloaded the file four times and have been unsuccessful. I have a folder on my desktop with two folders inside, one "fscomand" the other "Media". Inside the Media folder is a folder for Mac-Install..inside that, a folder for OSX. I have clicked on everything, nothing installs the program. Additionally, there is nothing inside the "fscommand" folder that installs. I even switched to Mac OS9 ( I have a G4 with OS9 and X (Jaguar), and got the exact same thing. I even upgraded my Stuffit Expander, thinking that might solve the problem. My long weekend with free time to become acclimated to Lightwave is almost over. Oh well, thanks for the suggestions.

Melvil
11-30-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm sorry that you didn't get it worked out. I truly don't know what the problem could be. I have no experience with Mac's, but when I downloaded the file the windows installer worked and everything for the Mac version seemed to be there.

-Dave

Jeannie
11-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Thanks Dave for your assistance. I don't have a clue either. Possibly I'll try calling on Monday.
Thanks again,
Jeannie

JamesCurtis
12-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Here's a thought.

I'm not a Mac user but I have occasionally had a corrupt download from saving a file. This has happened to me when I just clicked on a download button instead of using the "save target as" option in my browser.

gjjackson
12-03-2003, 07:48 AM
It has seemed to me that if you have a large download, if you close out the window from that source it can cause problems. Not sure why this is the case but it does seem to make a difference, in my experience anyway.

Jeannie
12-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. As it turns out I actually emailed NewTek and according to them they don't have a demo version at the moment. They won't ,until LightWave 8 comes out sometime in January. I guess this is why the download did not work. Oh well, must wait until January.
Jeannie

mkiii
12-04-2003, 07:32 AM
I have no input on the Mac Demo - but I'm a bit concerned about Newtek telling you that LW 8 will be coming out sometime in January.

It is supposed to be out this month, and their publicity for v8 still states 'this quarter''.

Chuck, anyone at Newtek, care to comment?

Jeannie
12-04-2003, 12:02 PM
New Tek told me that they would not have a demo version until January when the demo version of LightWave 8 comes out. I don't think that means LightWave 8 isn't coming out till January. It might take until January to get a demo version up and ready for download. Anyway, looking forward to the new demo, I really am looking forward to playing around with it and judging if this is what I need for my project. I'm patient!

Jockey
12-07-2003, 01:50 AM
hello to all,

iam new to Lightwave and iŽve some questions to the Trial version befor i download it.

1. which version?
is the trial version 7.5 or something else?

2. trial expires when?
is this a 30 day trial or a non commercial version (for unlimited days to use)?

3. if it is a 30 days trial:
is there a non commercial or a PLE version to download?

4. which features are restricted in the trial?

the background:
iam from austria, and i want to apply to an college next summer (multimediaart Animation in Salzburg) and so i want to learn (and test) as many 3D Animation Tools as possiple (currently iŽam working with Maya PLE, blender and Houdini NC). and i know that i will need more time than 30 days to see what Lightwave can to.

thanx for your help.

greetings Jockey