PDA

View Full Version : looking for expert in lightwave

shaol
11-29-2003, 06:27 AM
I'm working on a fishtank animation and I'm tying to get the fish to interact with the water when it comes to the top of the water. I concider my self a begginer with using lightwave but a designer by nature and I know what I wont but having a hard time with this effect. I know I can us morphs but is there another way of doing this were the computer or lightwave does the calulations.

I'm running Lightwave 7.5c on a macintosh dual G5 2Ghz,1gig of ram,160 hard drive, and ati radeon 9800 Graphics card :eek:

Axis3d
11-29-2003, 10:17 AM
You could try a Displacement Map on your water object. You can use a Null object to control the movements of your ripples. The Null object would have World Coordinates turned on so you could move the ripples to where you want them. Then you could use an Envelope to animate the Layer Opacity setting to make the ripples appear and disappear when you need them.

Juzz
11-29-2003, 11:19 AM
I bet that you could also automate the appearing and disappearing of the ripples by creating an expression for that. Also the use of multiple layers of ripples in the texture and controlling them with say, 4 nulls, makes the ripples look less perfect. I think.

Axis3d
11-29-2003, 12:10 PM
Since the null I showed in the example above has falloff, you could parent the null to your fish object and the ripples would appear when the fish gets close to the surface.

shaol
11-29-2003, 01:19 PM
I just wonted to say thanks and if there is any question that I have I'll let you know.:D

firemoth
11-29-2003, 09:21 PM
I am so amazed that there are a plethora of support for newbie members. Kudos to all who can help the new users - like me! I am branching off from EI Universe 5 to LW.

I was searching for a tutorial for water interactions when luck was on my side, I browsed this discussion string and found what I was looking for.

Keep up the good pointers.

t.

Axis3d
11-30-2003, 11:09 AM
You can get some truly realistic wave-type motions using Motion Designer in Lightwave. Here is a link to a great tutorial: http://www.theladyandthelion.com/site.htm

The site is a bit weird to navigate, but go to the link called The Drama of Viscosity under Tutorials and Information. Make sure you launch the movies which show a ball displacing the surface. Depending on the settings in Motion Designer, you can make it look like jello, mud, or water. Neat stuff and very informative.

toby
11-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by firemoth
I am branching off from EI Universe 5 to LW.

Congratulations on getting away from EI!

It's so incredibly limited, I don't think it's been developed for about 5 years! - like the shader pre-view, no textures or bump! No object can have more than 1 surface! 32 bit render pipeline: Maximum light/luminosity value is 100%, so if you put motion blur in a space scene, the stars turn into dark grey streaks! Blah!

Oh yea - Welcome to the best Forum in the business.