PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2015 revealed!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

prometheus
11-24-2014, 01:11 PM
check the lightwave page...
https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/lightwave-2015-unveiled-new-pricing-announced/

hrgiger
11-24-2014, 01:14 PM
does this mean theres going to be a LW 2016 i wonder?

MAUROCOR
11-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Finally!!! What a great news!!! Checking right now!!!;)

OlaHaldor
Just saw it on Facebook, thought it'd be fun to see the response here. Waiting for it! :)

MAUROCOR
does this mean theres going to be a LW 2016 i wonder?

I think so!

Albertdup
11-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Downloading the trial, this time I am testing it first no automatic upgrade from me any more.

Seem to finally have Alembic export in Layout, not sure if it works, it crashes when you try to export - might be because its in demo mode.

FiberFX seems just as buggy.

chikega
11-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Congrats LWG!

rdolishny
11-24-2014, 01:30 PM
This is really good timing. I was going to but the cage deformer plugins but was waiting to see if an upgrade was coming that might support this natively.

Looks like not, but good to know.

As for the upgrade jury's out. 11.6 has been really stable for me.

juanjgon
11-24-2014, 01:31 PM
And LightWave 2015 has a nice new feature for all the Octane users ;)
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?141001-Octane-render-for-Lightwave-2-0&p=1409690&viewfull=1#post1409690

-Juanjo

Waves of light
11-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Well done guys and girls at the LW3DG. Silence has been broken.

MAUROCOR
11-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Well done guys and girls at the LW3DG. Silence has been broken.

Yeah, it has been broken in a beautiful way!;)

robertoortiz
11-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Good job guys at the LW3DG

meatycheesyboy
11-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Purchased, downloading now. Thanks NT.

*edit* Done downloading, installing, and licensing. Thanks LW3DG.

Cageman
11-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Congrats LW3DG! $995 is a very good pricepoint for what you can achive with LW. It is a fantastic tool to have in the arsenal!!! Go get it, folks! :)

Nicolas Jordan
11-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Since this release is called Lightwave 2015 I would now assume there will definitely be a major release every year from now on.

Cageman
11-24-2014, 01:56 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?141001-Octane-render-for-Lightwave-2-0&p=1409690&viewfull=1#post1409690

-Juanjo

Fantastic!!! Wow! :)

Bookman
11-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Over all it looks interesting, though I am massively disappointed that there has been nothing on Modeling integration with layout.

COBRASoft
11-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Congrats on the release!

I just bought it, without questioning.

LW3DG, now be more open please on the forums :).

jasonwestmas
11-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Congrats LW3DG! $995 is a very good pricepoint for what you can achive with LW. It is a fantastic tool to have in the arsenal!!! Go get it, folks! :)

Yes, very sensible and competitive.

Cageman
11-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Over all it looks interesting, though I am massively disappointed that there has been nothing on Modeling integration with layout.

I can understand that. That said, I think that 2015 is just a start of something fairly cool. I mean... think about it... why would they start changing the naming of LW if there isn't something cooking behind the scenes? Since this naming convention has been adopted, I wonder what 2015 really will include.

While I think the features in this video aren't fully worth the upgrade price they ask for (the full price, however, very much so), the 2015 naming of it all might reveal some cool stuff (free of charge during 2015, as in patches and updates...). I doubt very much that this is the one and only release of 2015 and it is going to be interesting to see what happens during the comming year. :)

Nicolas Jordan
11-24-2014, 02:10 PM
There are only 2 features for sure that would be useful in my arch-viz work while other will come in useful from time to time. The "match perspective tool" and "importance sampling" the later of which I already use extensively rendering in Modo. I have been looking at possibly reducing my overhead software costs so if both Modo and Lightwave now have yearly paid upgrade releases that I more or less have to stay current with I think I will finally have to make a decision between working in Modo or Lightwave exclusively for now on. This will be a very hard decision to make when I like them both.

Cageman
11-24-2014, 02:13 PM
There are only 2 features for sure that would be useful in my arch-viz work while other will come in useful from time to time. The "match perspective tool" and "importance sampling" the later of which I already use extensively rendering in Modo. I have been looking at possibly reducing my overhead software costs so if both Modo and Lightwave now have yearly paid upgrade releases that I more or less have to stay current with I think I will finally have to make a decision between working in Modo or Lightwave exclusively for now on. This will be a very hard decision to make when I like them both.

Not sure you will have to stay current with LW in order to get a good upgrade price. You should ask LW3DG about that, but I am pretty sure they will not adopt prescription model for LW.

raw-m
11-24-2014, 02:14 PM
For a charter member who uses LW as my go-to 3d app, it's very much worth the upgrade price. Bang, I'm in!!

COBRASoft
11-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Where is '.DynamicsConstraint' plugin?

Update:
Damn, opening in LW11.6.1 instead of LW 2015 :(.

Paul_Boland
11-24-2014, 02:19 PM
One of the features listed is "Improved Slider Drawing". Does this mean Sliders have received an overhaul and are better now, an upgrade I've been asking for since Lightwave 8! Can anyone confirm this??? Screenshot???

Danner
11-24-2014, 02:21 PM
I wish I had time to test it right now.. I wonder how much faster it is compared to 11.6 (now that it has importance sampling)

3DGFXStudios
11-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Whoohooo Awesome news!!! Good job LW3DG

Cageman
11-24-2014, 02:24 PM
PRMBlur rendering is waaay faster compared to LW11.6... I'll post a comparsion soon!!! Wow! :) :) :)

meatycheesyboy
11-24-2014, 02:28 PM
One of the features listed is "Improved Slider Drawing". Does this mean Sliders have received an overhaul and are better now, an upgrade I've been asking for since Lightwave 8! Can anyone confirm this??? Screenshot???

At first glance, the only difference I can see in how they look is the dark box around the sliders when active. Functionality-wise they seem exactly the same. Keep in mind, I have tested them for approximately 30 seconds so they may have changed in other ways as well.

tyrot
11-24-2014, 02:28 PM
ok but dont you think - it would be a bit better also adding CAMERA view to modeler... this is still missing..

also modeler has very - little love..as always....get used to it..

extra bullet features.. genoma 2 looks very cool...

JohnMarchant
11-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Well i will wait for the news on what has been updated. Has modeler got any love, from what i see very little, that is upsetting, also HV, Particles and a myriad of other things in layout. Glad to see they have implemented more Bullet, with hinges and such.

Am i smelling something coming around the corner with this 2015 stuff. AD does that and so do others. I always liked that NT/LWG3D was different.

Full price is definitely worth it but i will hold off upgrading until i see what people think. Im downloading the demo as i write.

Also what happened to 11.7, im sure i read somewhere we were going to get a final update on the 11 cycle or did i dream that.

WilliamVaughan
11-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Patch Borders Edge Rendering looks fantastic. Morph Mode HUD has been on my list for years.... nice addition!

mav3rick
11-24-2014, 02:36 PM
purchased... downloading! happy ending of 2014 ! thanks LWG!

....Also what happened to 11.7, im sure i read somewhere we were going to get a final update on the 11 cycle or did i dream that.

as for update... i am sure we are done with 11.6.3 as they told there will be no more feature updates on 11.x cycle... so maybe there will be some bug fixes but i am pretty sure we are done for 11.x

meatycheesyboy
11-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Patch Borders Edge Rendering looks fantastic. Morph Mode HUD has been on my list for years.... nice addition!

Just tried the morph mode HUD, nice addition. Not ground breaking but a solid workflow enhancement.

Spinland
11-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Black Friday came early for me. Yoink! Downloading the upgrade now. I have an animation project in the queue for Wednesday where this will get a nice workout.

Cageman
11-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Ok... here is the test!

Three images...

1) LW11.6.2, AA8, As128, 1 Pass PRMBLUR+DOF = 20m 24s
2) LW2015, AA8, AS128. 1 Pass PRMBLUR+DOF = 12m 50s
3) LW2015, AA8, AS128. NO PRMBLUR, NO DOF = 11m 50s

In this particular case, PRMBLUR+DOF adds about a minute to the rendertime. Quite darn cool! :)125668125669125670

m.d.
11-24-2014, 02:50 PM
that seems weird that there would be that much of a difference...its not even listed as a new feature

Cageman
11-24-2014, 02:52 PM
that seems weird that there would be that much of a difference...its not even listed as a new feature

I'm telling you... they have done something to improve those aspects of the renderengine. In the LW 2015 reel, they mention that there are "many more" improvements... I guess this is one of them?

gordonrobb
11-24-2014, 02:53 PM
So if the normal upgrade price has dropped does that mean the price for us loyal charter hardcore members has dropped too?

lardbros
11-24-2014, 02:53 PM

True... But I get the feeling LW3dGroup are going to do this properly, as opposed to hacking it on with sticky tape. I'm happy to wait as can flick between my favourite modeling tools and render with LightWave still!

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Wow, quite an improvement, they MUST toot their own horns a bit louder!!! Modesty is nice and all, but .... ;)

Well done LW3dG, and I'm sure we'll find all sorts of nuggets you, sheesh, forgot to tell us about.

bobakabob
11-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Just tried the morph mode HUD, nice addition. Not ground breaking but a solid workflow enhancement.

What is Morph mode HUD and what are the benefits?

lardbros
11-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Modeler has got some loving...
Double click off an object to deselect. Nice work flow tweak.
Quite a few tools now work on multiple layers, which has done my head in for years.
HUD for making morph targets. Cool actually... Simple, but cool!
The 3d connexion updates are simply AWESOME!!! This is a game changer for me! Thank you, thank you!

Also... FBX import doesn't create an insane amount of surfaces any longer... Wow!! Well done guys! A solid and nice featured update so far! Keep discovering new things!

dulo
11-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Just bought the upgrade .. price is really fair ..

lwanmtr
lol...on a whim I decided to check the webpage and saw that 2015 was released...looks awesome.... ok, now alla ya need to send me that $495 you owe me :)

meatycheesyboy
What is Morph mode HUD and what are the benefits?

When you are editing a morph map in Modeler, the viewport will get a blue outline around it and the name of the morph map you are editing appears in the corner of the viewport so you won't accidentally edit a base object when you should be editing a morph and vice versa.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 03:06 PM
When you are editing a morph map in Modeler, the viewport will get a blue outline around it and the name of the morph map you are editing appears in the corner of the viewport so you won't accidentally edit a base object when you should be editing a morph and vice versa.
And a million mistakes just got aborted. :thumbsup:

Hah, a couple months back I suggested something morphy-related and Matt said they had it covered. This was it.

Kaptive
11-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Oh my god... Image Editor, ...finally I love you again. Arrangement options... date added... name... size...

I... I think I'm going to cry.

...And per surface clip mapping.... Oh my... Small things can go a long way :)

Well done LW3DG!

lardbros
11-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Oh my god... Image Editor, ...finally I love you again. Arrangement options... date added... name... size...

I... I think I'm going to cry.

Oh yeahhh... This is GREAT!! Lots of really nice tweaks here and there... Lots of attention to detail!

Matt
11-24-2014, 03:10 PM
To some this might not be a big deal, but ....

Per-Surface Clipmaps:

meatycheesyboy
11-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Ahhhhh.... my interface problem didn't get fixed!

The arrows to expand the window in the image editor and the surface editor still face opposite directions!!!!!! This upgrade is an epic failure!!!! ;)

Matt
11-24-2014, 03:11 PM
And a million mistakes just got aborted. :thumbsup:

Hah, a couple months back I suggested something morphy-related and Matt said they had it covered. This was it.

It was ;)

Matt
11-24-2014, 03:11 PM

The arrows to expand the window in the image editor and the surface editor still face opposite directions!!!!!! This upgrade is an epic failure!!!! ;)

Dang it! Easy fix too, okay, next time, I promise!

Cageman
11-24-2014, 03:15 PM
to some this might not be a big deal, but ....

Per-surface clipmaps:

awesome!!!!!!

EDIT: I wrote that with capital letters... why didn't they stay capital? A very small thing, perhaps, but it will add workflow enhancements enmasse having that feature.

Great work, LW3DG!!!! The silence was not good for the users, but good for you guys... can you now, please, do something once a month to entertain and inform the userbase? We really can't deal with the complete silence, even if we might suspect good things in the end.

prometheus
11-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Quite a few tools now work on multiple layers, which has done my head in for years.
The 3d connexion updates are simply AWESOME!!! This is a game changer for me! Thank you, thank you!

Also... FBX import doesn't create an insane amount of surfaces any longer... Wow!! Well done guys! A solid and nice featured update so far! Keep discovering new things!

I just use my shortcut "d" to drop current selection, so that is of little use for me, I would rather see double click and select connected geometry, not sure if they with lw 2015 implemented a better workflow on selecting parts/connected geometry?

alvin_cgi
11-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Any update on Hyper voxels? :)

Kaptive
11-24-2014, 03:16 PM

Per-Surface Clipmaps:

Absolutely... a small feature with massive benefits. Keeps it all in one place too.

ivanze
11-24-2014, 03:18 PM
One thing I liked was the ability to import Quicktime in Lightwave 64. I really missed that.

meatycheesyboy
11-24-2014, 03:21 PM
One thing I liked was the ability to import Quicktime in Lightwave 64. I really missed that.

And output to Quicktime as well.

Kaptive
11-24-2014, 03:22 PM

Nothing that I can see, unfortunately... I had hoped to see a bit of an overhaul of HV personally. That and FiberFX. I hope they are on the board for an update in this cycle.

prometheus
11-24-2014, 03:24 PM

:cry:

lardbros
11-24-2014, 03:24 PM

How hilarious... This is one of my gripes too! I even opened bug reports to try and get this done :)

prometheus
11-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Nothing that I can see, unfortunately... I had hoped to see a bit of an overhaul of HV personally. That and FiberFX. I hope they are on the board for an update in this cycle.

:grumpy: cat

lardbros
11-24-2014, 03:26 PM
awesome!!!!!!

EDIT: I wrote that with capital letters... why didn't they stay capital? A very small thing, perhaps, but it will add workflow enhancements enmasse having that feature.

Great work, LW3DG!!!! The silence was not good for the users, but good for you guys... can you now, please, do something once a month to entertain and inform the userbase? We really can't deal with the complete silence, even if we might suspect good things in the end.

Wow... And they can even be combined with the scene-based ones too... I'm sure that could be useful. Nodal clip maps is another biggie for me! Brilliant work!

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 03:27 PM
True... But I get the feeling LW3dGroup are going to do this properly, as opposed to hacking it on with sticky tape. I'm happy to wait as can flick between my favourite modeling tools and render with LightWave still!

You are absolutely correct that we are going to do this right. I will not speak directly about any future release and we cannot rush things any faster than makes sense to meet unrealistic expectations but I will say that under the hood work has gone into foundational modeling architecture and we are serious about innovating with our modeling tools. We have been hard at work laying the ground-work for some very interesting things as we move forward. And I am excited about sharing more with you when the time comes.

Spinland
11-24-2014, 03:29 PM
You are absolutely correct that we are going to do this right. I will not speak directly about any future release and we cannot rush things any faster than makes sense to meet unrealistic expectations but I will say that under the hood work has gone into foundational modeling architecture and we are serious about innovating with our modeling tools. We have been hard at work laying the ground-work for some very interesting things as we move forward. And I am excited about sharing more with you when the time comes.

Rock on, Rob & Crew! As someone with a background in both 3DS Max and Maya, Lightwave is where I ended up hanging my hat—for a lot of reasons. You continue to show me that was a good choice.

meatycheesyboy
11-24-2014, 03:30 PM
How hilarious... This is one of my gripes too! I even opened bug reports to try and get this done :)

I put in a FogBugz about it a few months ago and got a reply that it was sent over to the interface team. They must have lost it in the bin. But now that I have an assurance from Matt himself I won't be satisfied if it isn't fixed in the next release! :)

lardbros

This is truly, truly great news... I'm so glad to hear this. Thanks Rob. Very exciting times ahead for LightWave :D

Megalodon2.0

I was JUST going to ask about the "under-the-hood" work being done. I will say that your response is encouraging and makes me hopeful for LW.

Congrats to the ENTIRE team!

Edit. But I also hope that this ENDS the complete silence from the LW3DG and a new era of frequent interaction will begin? There are quite a few things in this release that would have provided LW3DG something to give to users and not have to worry about divulging secret tech. Weekly - or even monthly communication telling us what is going on is better than knowing everything OR nothing.

m.d.
11-24-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm telling you... they have done something to improve those aspects of the renderengine. In the LW 2015 reel, they mention that there are "many more" improvements... I guess this is one of them?

very cool....

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
LOL! ::rage-quit!::

calilifestyle
11-24-2014, 03:35 PM
My only complain is no Lightwave 2015 party ... i was really hoping for one , now that the team is located in Burbank. haha

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Nodal clip maps is another biggie for me! Brilliant work!
"Nodal clip maps"??? Clip maps didn't already have a nodal editor???

Well, whatever the answer there is, WE GOT 'EM NOW. :thumbsup:

(ALSO: POST #9500!)

Nicolas Jordan

Per-Surface Clipmaps:

:thumbsup: That's a feature I have been requesting for a while and Lightwave has needed it for a long time! It will save lots of time and make applying multiple clip maps on trees and shrubs much easier without having to break up the geometry by surface into separate object layers just to apply different clip maps to them. Thanks!

hrgiger

Thanks for the update Rob.

lwanmtr
Thats great to hear, Rob. Im glad that things are finally moving forward much better and LW is becoming more modern again :)
This is the 3rd release in a row that I've been actually excited about getting...Keep it up!

....and since I did such a good job cmplimenting (its all true)....dont i get a free update? :)

m.d.
11-24-2014, 03:38 PM

Good work Rob and team....

Its nice to see bullet being expanded and 'completed' with constraints, the ongoing development of FFX via API to octane, and genoma progressing.
That moves things out of the 'shiny new feature' category to the 'practical workflow' category.

Look forward to bigger and better

robertoortiz
11-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Again Good work to the developers of LW 2015.
I can see all the hard work the team has done.
I just have a wish for a future release that has new editable typography tools in Layout.

alvin_cgi
11-24-2014, 03:40 PM
:cry:

:cursin::cry::bangwall::compbeati

ncr100
11-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Ok... here is the test!

Three images...

In this particular case, PRMBLUR+DOF adds about a minute to the rendertime. Quite darn cool! :)125668125669125670

I diff'd (using ImageMagick 'compare') the three images. Faster with some differences, but not too severe imo!

1) 11.6.2 - 2015 pmblur
2) 11.6.2 - 2015 no pmblur
3) 2015 pmblur - 2015 no pmblur

spherical
11-24-2014, 03:46 PM

Per-Surface Clipmaps:

It's a Big Deal for me. Good goin'. Having to separate models, just to apply clip maps per object gets unwieldy.

MentalFish
11-24-2014, 03:47 PM

Yep, there is a bunch of FBX to Unity improvements too, such as scriptable FBX export from Modeler, and stuff like this is #1 on my wishlist but not even listed anywhere as a feature :) Looking forward to give it a proper spin in a week or so.

ncr100
Just curious, how has the documentation changed with 2015?

Edit - will d/l the trial :)

Edit #2 - lordy. 2,303 page pdf. That is a lotta typing!

3dworks
congrats for the new release, looks to be a solid evolution of 11.6 with some really useful workflow improvements. clip maps as surface property was one of my all time favorited requests! not to speak of a basic perspective matching plugin, something which is really handy for archviz.

not to ruin the bright picture, here my 2 'instant delusions'. i just don't understand why improvements to the image editor, especially 'sorting by names' have not been introduced to the surface editor as well? the other one is 'load from scene'. why add a search function but not add a hierarchical display of the scene? ok, that's for the next updates, then ;-)

on the bright side, the new documentation seems to be totally overhauled. great work here, and as some say, any app is only as good as it's documentation. apparently this is only available via the 'help' menu online, so please can you add a PDF download so we can read it on our tablets?

cheers

markus

PS. and from my first tests it's still rock solid on macs! :-)

lwanmtr
11-24-2014, 03:49 PM

I just thought about that too.....will there be an all new Manual?

Emmanuel
11-24-2014, 03:50 PM
The bullet stuff is cool, and match perspective, too. Does the new bullet stuff mean it can be used with bones for CA ?
Importance Sampling makes me curious.

lino.grandi
11-24-2014, 03:56 PM
The bullet stuff is cool, and match perspective, too. Does the new bullet stuff mean it can be used with bones for CA ?

For sure. You can make bones dynamic, and link them using Bullet constraints. ;)

Tranimatronic
11-24-2014, 03:59 PM
So if the normal upgrade price has dropped does that mean the price for us loyal charter hardcore members has dropped too?

Yeah - I recall being promised future upgrades locked at $299, however if I sign in and try to buy, it is $499, so it appears it is the opposite. It has increased
I also see nothing updated for nevron (useless for lip synch without the ability to record video or audio) or chronoscuplt.
No fix for morphs disappearing when you enable lazy points. No fix for fiber fx or hypervoxels.

Genoma 2 sounds promising, but I cant find any information on the 'rigging development kit'.
I'm certainly in no rush to buy this one. Still glad to hear something is happening with Lightwave ;)

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 04:04 PM

Yes this release has a large number of workflow enhancements and improvements that will certainly benefit many of our users once they dig into them.

kfiram
11-24-2014, 04:05 PM
"Mouse wheel zooming in Modeler" doesn't seem to work for me.
Am I missing something?

Edit:
Found it. Display Options >> Interface.
Should be on by default imho.

MarcusM
11-24-2014, 04:08 PM
My small sugestion is: during release new version, emphasize information, that when you download Demo version you got also a big manual PDF with a lot more info. Many for sure reading only what is written on web site. Especially not LW users. What is clear for us, not must be for others.

Ztreem
11-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Looks like a solid release. Thanks LW3DG! Please communicate better next time around.

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 04:09 PM
awesome!!!!!!

We work hard on our monthly LightWave newsletter for just that purpose. Have you been following it?

Cageman
11-24-2014, 04:11 PM
I diff'd (using ImageMagick 'compare') the three images. Faster with some differences, but not too severe imo!

1) 11.6.2 - 2015 pmblur
2) 11.6.2 - 2015 no pmblur
3) 2015 pmblur - 2015 no pmblur

Oh... so you are saying that LW11.6.2 isn't as slow regarding PRMBLUR compared to LW 2015? Or... what is it that you are trying to say, really?

ernesttx
11-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Agh no Chronosculpt love. just a little rotate action is all that is needed. I'll be in watch mode for awhile.

Cageman
11-24-2014, 04:12 PM
We work hard on our monthly LightWave newsletter for just that purpose. Have you been following it?

Well... I was more interested in what is going on with the development of LW itself; not what users do with it. :)

Tranimatronic
11-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Well... I was more interested in what is going on with the development of LW itself; not what users do with it. :)

+1

prometheus
11-24-2014, 04:15 PM
will have to disect this release with a download test and check performance etc, some good stuff there with edge rendering that I wanted to make it easier to setup wirerenders etc, and bone dynamics...but, overall the first impression for me at least is just too thin.

First impression is that I will not upgrade, but I leave that final decision to after I have tested the trial, and comparing modo and cinema trials, modo has taken the direction of voxels and particles to another lever which is closer to what I want, as with sculpting tools in modo and cinema4d.
A little of too much lacking in terms of what I wanted to see..though you canīt please us all.

Roadmap wether of not we can see particle improvements, a sculpt tool in layout and modeler, and hypervoxels improvent would be nice to get a hint on at least, based on what I can see ahead in such terms will decide how I will do, the problem might be lack of communication and revealing of such detail.

And I will try and put my Requests down on pdf as soon as possible, how would you know otherwise:)

Waves of light
11-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Just a very quick question regarding upgrade price that I touched on on fb... has the hardcore pricing been reduced as well, seen as the upgrade price for LW2015 has dropped to the post charter hardcore price of $495? Just clarification needed, not peed off if not. Cheers.

mikala
11-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Yeah - I recall being promised future upgrades locked at $299, however if I sign in and try to buy, it is $499, so it appears it is the opposite. It has increased
I also see nothing updated for nevron (useless for lip synch without the ability to record video or audio) or chronoscuplt.
No fix for morphs disappearing when you enable lazy points. No fix for fiber fx or hypervoxels.

Genoma 2 sounds promising, but I cant find any information on the 'rigging development kit'.
I'm certainly in no rush to buy this one. Still glad to hear something is happening with Lightwave ;)

....silence....

Lito
11-24-2014, 04:19 PM
I guess I'll wait for now to see if they send different pricing email to HardCORE members. The deal was $395 according to the email I found.

What is staying as originally stated:
- As HardCORE members, you have a special price, either the Charter price of $395 or the post-charter price of $495, on the upgrades you purchase, over the next five paid upgrades that NewTek offers (LightWave 11 included).

ncr100
11-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Oh... so you are saying that LW11.6.2 isn't as slow regarding PRMBLUR compared to LW 2015? Or... what is it that you are trying to say, really?

Reinforcing the point - speed improvement with insignificant change to render product.

allabulle
11-24-2014, 04:25 PM
For those asking for it: there is a pdf manual in the docs folder. At least in the trial installation.

BokadCastle
I wrote to support and they asked me show proof of buying LW10 with Core.
Which I did.
I now have the original $395 deal.

Support were quick and pleasant.

robpowers3d
Rock on, Rob & Crew! As someone with a background in both 3DS Max and Maya, Lightwave is where I ended up hanging my hat—for a lot of reasons. You continue to show me that was a good choice.

That means a lot to us. Thanks for your support and belief in our direction and efforts. This development team is tackling the hard work head-on and as the fruits of that labor continue to emerge we think you will continue to be pleasantly surprised as we move forward. I personally don't put much stock in instant over-night imaginary products that appear from nowhere or that type of smoke and mirrors. Worthwhile advancement requires solid hard work tied to a logical internal design roadmap. We are working tirelessly to make LightWave perform for you in the coming months and years as we evolve it with the latest technology while at the same time maintaining the special characteristics of LightWave that make it special to all of us.

Cageman
11-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Reinforcing the point - speed improvement with insignificant change to render product.

The results are same, but with greater speed. In what way is that a bad thing?

raw-m
11-24-2014, 04:26 PM
I guess I'll wait for now to see if they send different pricing email to HardCORE members. The deal was $395 according to the email I found.
I logged into my account first and found an "upgrade" button there. It took me to the correct version.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 04:28 PM
....silence....
Seriously? THE DAY OF THE LAUNCH you're expecting immediate feedback?

Where's the eye-rolling emoji?

meatycheesyboy
11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Someone correct me if I am remembering incorrectly but the Hardcore deal was $395 to upgrade for the 5 paid upgrades beyond Core correct? I paid $395 today for my upgrade to LW 2015.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 04:31 PM
I logged into my account first and found an "upgrade" button there. It took me to the correct version.
Same here. --In your account, in the "Registered Products" page, not at the top.

Saw a couple prices for non-HC (started sweating), but it is there if your page says "LightWave 3D v11.x - Upgrade - Charter" near the top. $395.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 04:33 PM
I don't think he's complaining-- he's saying there's only a tiny difference in the render.

++++
Any big differences in SCRIPTING CAPABILITIES???

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 04:36 PM
I was JUST going to ask about the "under-the-hood" work being done. I will say that your response is encouraging and makes me hopeful for LW.

Congrats to the ENTIRE team!

Edit. But I also hope that this ENDS the complete silence from the LW3DG and a new era of frequent interaction will begin? There are quite a few things in this release that would have provided LW3DG something to give to users and not have to worry about divulging secret tech. Weekly - or even monthly communication telling us what is going on is better than knowing everything OR nothing.

As many of you know I am not a big fan of empty talk about "pie in the sky" fantasy products. That is why you don't often see me comment on future releases in a specific way. However, we have invested a lot of time and resources on solutions for removing long-standing architectural barriers that previously had not been dealt with. I am confident that this is the LightWave team that will deal with these past road blocks and unlock some very powerful new capabilities over the next few years. Certainly some will jump on what I say here and expect the next release to be what they have imagined as a perfect version of LightWave but again that is not what we are doing here. We are focusing on bringing innovation in a real product that emerges as we progress through our planned development phases. It is not instant gratification but the results will be solid and very real. The team and I are genuinely excited by what we are doing and are very optimistic about what it will ultimately unlock for our worldwide LightWave users.

jwiede
11-24-2014, 04:38 PM

What about us post-Charter members (promised 5x @ "discount price" of $495) whom now receive no discount at all?

I am particularly disappointed that LW3DG couldn't even see fit to say something to Charter & post-Charter members about the situation prior or concurrent with the public announce, that's especially disrespectful. Acknowledging the situation, perhaps with some kind of token gesture, would have at least mitigated the sting somewhat.

OnlineRender
design roadmap.

I guarantee you someone in the office had a $10 bet with Rob he had to say that at least once in the forums ...

congrats , the product looks solid, some real nice stuff even things like multi-tool support for GOz personally is my favourite and Gemona2 looks beautiful
thanks and see you in 2015 :D

meatycheesyboy
I've seen a few people mention documentation but I don't see it in my account page. Where can the LW 2015 docs be downloaded from? I've downloaded the Win 64 version and the content files but no docs.

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 04:39 PM
My only complain is no Lightwave 2015 party ... i was really hoping for one , now that the team is located in Burbank. haha

Good point! We are certainly celebrating the LightWave 2015 release but the holidays are right in front of us. Perhaps we can plan some user get together in the future for those in town.

spherical
11-24-2014, 04:41 PM

He's comparing the render qualities, not speeds. That much faster with near to the same, or same but different, quality is a good thing.

Mr_Q
11-24-2014, 04:42 PM
I've found this update to contain many, "little big things." It's good stuff. It's also been hard keeping quiet all this time about it. :)

Snosrap
11-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Also what happened to 11.7, im sure i read somewhere we were going to get a final update on the 11 cycle or did i dream that. I think the reality is that this is the 11.7 upgrade - but a paid one. :)

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 04:46 PM

Edit - will d/l the trial :)

Edit #2 - lordy. 2,303 page pdf. That is a lotta typing!

Yes the LightWave 2015 documentation is updated and a lot of effort has gone into that.

Cageman
11-24-2014, 04:48 PM
I've found this update to contain many, "little big things." It's good stuff. It's also been hard keeping quiet all this time about it. :)

Keeping quiet?

lwanmtr
11-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Q...before i dive in....will installing a trial key interfere with my 11.6 license?

allabulle
11-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Nothing wrong happened here, lwanmtr.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Nothing wrong happened here, lwanmtr.
And, fwiw, traditionally having multiple LW installations hasn't been a problem.

mummyman
11-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Probably no love to anything Subsurface Scattering-related? Or easier passes?

Lewis
11-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Congrats on release guys and girls :).

lwanmtr
11-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks. Yeah've had multiple LW's...but always fully licensed...first time Im doing the trial thing (until yall pay me that $495 ya owe me) hehe.

spherical
11-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Keeping quiet?

Yes. They've been silent all this time.

Megalodon2.0
11-24-2014, 04:58 PM
As many of you know I am not a big fan of empty talk about "pie in the sky" fantasy products.
And completely understandable considering the chaos of CORE.

That is why you don't often see me comment on future releases in a specific way.
There is always a "specific way" that comments on future releases can be handled. No one expects complete details about everything, but as I already said there are a number of things in this release that could have been divulged along the way that would have provided you "talking points" and shown the userbase that you are indeed interacting AND informing them/us. If you did that on a weekly or monthly basis where we can expect to see an update there would be FAR less restlessness and speculation AND anger. I really cannot stress enough how important constant and scheduled communication is. If you noticed the poll, the VAST majority want more communication - not silence. Ignoring customers is not a method that instills customer confidence. Nor are we asking for detailed info that will or will not make it into the final release - and ANY information can be prefaced with "this may or may not be in the final release."

However, we have invested a lot of time and resources on solutions for removing long-standing architectural barriers that previously had not been dealt with. I am confident that this is the LightWave team that will deal with these past road blocks and unlock some very powerful new capabilities over the next few years.
I am confident as well. I think the development team can do anything they set their minds to, given enough time.

Certainly some will jump on what I say here and expect the next release to be what they have imagined as a perfect version of LightWave but again that is not what we are doing here. We are focusing on bringing innovation in a real product that emerges as we progress through our planned development phases. It is not instant gratification but the results will be solid and very real. The team and I are genuinely excited by what we are doing and are very optimistic about what it will ultimately unlock for our worldwide LightWave users.
Perhaps some will expect the next release to be the "perfect version of LW" they want, but most here have realistic expectations and understand that unification/integration will take longer than LW13/2016. I want you guys to succeed, because then we will succeed as well. :thumbsup:

ncr100
11-24-2014, 04:59 PM

The results are good.

40% speed improvement, FTW!

kadri
11-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Congrats on the release :)
Bullet additions and clip file per surface is the most i liked. I needed clip file per surface just 2 weeks ago.
If they can make a release per year everybody will get what he wants hopefully.

Airwaves
11-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Ok... here is the test!

Three images...

I know this is a newbie question but are you saying that Lightwave 2015 renders faster overall? Or just with certain camera settings?

Kaptive
11-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks. Yeah've had multiple LW's...but always fully licensed...first time Im doing the trial thing (until yall pay me that $495 ya owe me) hehe.

You need to click on the register button when you boot up LW2015, and then on the right side of the page there is a register this product button. When you've done that you have access to the trial key which you just drag in and restart. No problems with older version installed.

To be honest I did all that, and then just said "screw it" and upgraded. One thing I did notice was that my Space Navigator crashed the Demo/trial, but works fine in the full version. Odd.

Looking forward to the future Rob. It'll be exciting to see the seeds of the internal remodelling of LW grow and bare fruit!

probiner
11-24-2014, 05:07 PM
...not that I'm complaining but a lot of folks were counting on getting the 11.7 with bug fixes.

Me...
I wouldn't mind a version 11.7 without features, just with the bugfixes (especially the ones I reported) and the simplistic workflow enhacements to the existing features, like Scene Editor multi selection. It's not like it's a new feature, even though I don't know how hard it was to bring it up.

But yeah... Disappointed.

Right now I'll wait and see Since there arent' any major workflow changes to it that would drive me to delve into. Good luck LW3DG.

This thread just shows that re-branding works... lol.

Cheers

mikala
11-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Seriously? THE DAY OF THE LAUNCH you're expecting immediate feedback?

Where's the eye-rolling emoji?
No fool. I'm talking about the upgrade pricing.
It will be $500 plus here with exchange rates where they are. Even for a Charter member.

ernpchan
11-24-2014, 05:08 PM
[edit]
Bad post.

GraphXs
11-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Wow! Wonderful update. The FBX exporter update is great! Just tried it with Unity and no more multiple materials to deal with. The bullet additions, the camera matching, the importance sampling, Genoma 2 and all the cool little workflow stuff and features. It's going to be hard to go to my family's Thanksgiving dinner, I just want to play with LW2015. Great Job LW3DG and Happy Thanksgiving! WOOT! YAY YAY!

Cageman
11-24-2014, 05:11 PM
I know this is a newbie question but are you saying that Lightwave 2015 renders faster overall? Or just with certain camera settings?

It seems to be way faster with PRMBlur on deforming geometry.

ernpchan
11-24-2014, 05:11 PM
The Clip Maps saved with surfaces and new Bullet constraints are my favorite things so far. Well done LW3DG.

Tranimatronic
11-24-2014, 05:12 PM
What about us post-Charter members (promised 5x @ "discount price" of $495) whom now receive no discount at all?

I am particularly disappointed that LW3DG couldn't even see fit to say something to Charter & post-Charter members about the situation prior or concurrent with the public announce, that's especially disrespectful. Acknowledging the situation, perhaps with some kind of token gesture, would have at least mitigated the sting somewhat.

Oh - I'm in this post-Charter group also. THAT would be why.

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Just a very quick question regarding upgrade price that I touched on on fb... has the hardcore pricing been reduced as well, seen as the upgrade price for LW2015 has dropped to the post charter hardcore price of $495? Just clarification needed, not peed off if not. Cheers.

The only prices that we have reduced are those of the full license and of the upgrade. The product price can change but your special HardCORE pricing program guarantees that you will never pay more than the price you locked in at for a total of five upgrades.

allabulle
11-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Can we upgrade from Europe directly to the NewTek store bypassing the German one?

MAUROCOR
11-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Congratulation, LW3DG! Very well done!;)

OlaHaldor
11-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Can anyone comment on this? Looking at the video, there was some kind of space rover vehicle using a lot of bullet dynamics. Do I understand this correctly that it's possible to rol/turn wheels using bullet?

A video demo of it would generate a new sale.
I'm also very interested in genoma and whether it's the right thing in terms of rigging mechanical stuff such as wheels, rods and piston stuff on a steam lovomotive. A good answer to that as well will generate an instant sale.

lwanmtr
11-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Genoma works fine for mechanicals, I've used it for that...cant wait to play with genoma-2

lardbros
11-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Can anyone comment on this? Looking at the video, there was some kind of space rover vehicle using a lot of bullet dynamics. Do I understand this correctly that it's possible to rol/turn wheels using bullet?

A video demo of it would generate a new sale.
I'm also very interested in genoma and whether it's the right thing in terms of rigging mechanical stuff such as wheels, rods and piston stuff on a steam lovomotive. A good answer to that as well will generate an instant sale.

Motors are included in the latest Bullet offering... which include linear motors and rotational ones too. So, I'm guessing that the wheels are using those, but not 100% sure.

EDIT:
--------
That planet rover setup is included in the demo scenes when you buy, and yes the wheels are motors using bullet to drive them. Very cool!

brent3d
11-24-2014, 05:29 PM
That means a lot to us. Thanks for your support and belief in our direction and efforts. This development team is tackling the hard work head-on and as the fruits of that labor continue to emerge we think you will continue to be pleasantly surprised as we move forward. I personally don't put much stock in instant over-night imaginary products that appear from nowhere or that type of smoke and mirrors. Worthwhile advancement requires solid hard work tied to a logical internal design roadmap. We are working tirelessly to make LightWave perform for you in the coming months and years as we evolve it with the latest technology while at the same time maintaining the special characteristics of LightWave that make it special to all of us.

Just awesome Rob!

Dexter2999
11-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Congratulations Rob and team! Now on to a well deserved relaxing holiday season for all of you!

pinkmouse
11-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Nice one folks.

Won't be upgrading this month though, the car just dropped a valve yesterday, complete engine rebuild required... :-(

Tranimatronic
11-24-2014, 05:38 PM
The only prices that we have reduced are those of the full license and of the upgrade. The product price can change but your special HardCORE pricing program guarantees that you will never pay more than the price you locked in at for a total of five upgrades.

So the special price I'm locked into is the same price everyone else is paying?
Wow I feel so 'special' right now.

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 05:44 PM
....silence....

Please direct me to any post where that price was stated I would like to know about that. As I understand it the HardCORE pricing has always been $395 for Charter and $495 for post-charter members. If there is something in error about that we will look into it right away. You should have received a courtesy email reminder. I will recap some of the info here.

If you are a HardCORE member that has not yet upgraded to the 11.x cycle now is the time to upgrade or you risk loosing your HardCORE status and special pricing guarantee. Even though the upgrade cycle to LightWave 11.x has been available for a while now, we do not want any of you to be caught off guard by a new release. Therefore, as a courtesy, we are offering all HardCORE members a 30-day grace period to upgrade to 11.x instead of being automatically dropped from the program (as stated in the guidelines).

If you have already upgraded your membership to the 11.x cycle then you are in no risk of loosing your HardCORE status at this time. It is only an issue for current 11.x HardCORE owners when we release the next paid upgrade following LightWave 2015. However, those in HardCORE who have yet to upgrade to the 11.x product must do do withing the next 30 days or risk loosing their special pricing benefits because the guidelines for HardCORE state that you must upgrade to each paid version of LightWave to maintain your membership.

If you wish to upgrade to the new version of LightWave that follows LightWave 11.x, you will be able to do so with your HardCORE pricing but you will need to pay for that upgrade as well. Because HardCORE members must purchase each paid upgrade to maintain their membership additional discounts, offers, or pricing guarantees cannot be combined to either skip an upgrade or further discount the special pricing.

If you drop out of the HardCORE program now, you will forfeit your special pricing guarantee for future upgrades. Even if a special promotion or limited-time pricing offer matches your upgrade price now, there is no guarantee that the price of upgrades will not go up. You are only locked in at your Charter price of $395 or post-charter price of $495 while you maintain your HardCORE status.

We hope that you recognize the special value and benefits that the HardCORE program offers and look forward to having you as a member for several upgrades to come.

To upgrade, please visit your account on LightWave3d.com.

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 05:49 PM

John,
Your HardCORE pricing is a guaranteed pricing and as long as you maintain your HardCORE status you will be certain of never paying more for an upgrade. From my other post:

"Even if a special promotion or limited-time pricing offer matches your upgrade price now, there is no guarantee that the price of upgrades will not go up. You are only locked in at your Charter price of $395 or post-charter price of $495 while you maintain your HardCORE status."

OlaHaldor
11-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Motors are included in the latest Bullet offering... which include linear motors and rotational ones too. So, I'm guessing that the wheels are using those, but not 100% sure.

EDIT:
--------
That planet rover setup is included in the demo scenes when you buy, and yes the wheels are motors using bullet to drive them. Very cool!

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Just purchased.

ncr100
11-24-2014, 05:53 PM
<3 Awesome documentation and very nice Pattern list-filtering GUI enhancement! (more... http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143588-quot-Find-Tool-quot-possible)

Andy Webb
11-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Where's the key to register the 30 day trial?

All I'm seeing on the splash screen is the product lock number!

Cheers

lardbros
11-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Awesome, awesome, awesome! Just purchased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOG2OvzN1rQ&feature=youtu.be

Thought I'd grab this demo scene and do a screengrab of it for you. It's a remote controlled car, all driven using bullet... very cooooool!

Oh... you've bought already :) Didn't take much persuasion ;)

meatycheesyboy
11-24-2014, 05:59 PM
<3 Awesome documentation and very nice Pattern list-filtering GUI enhancement! (more... http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143588-quot-Find-Tool-quot-possible)

Where did you find the docs? They aren't in my account and I didn't see them in the content or with the program download. Did I miss something obvious?

Tranimatronic
11-24-2014, 05:59 PM
those in HardCORE who have yet to upgrade to the 11.x product must do do withing the next 30 days or risk loosing their special pricing benefits.

But there is nothing 'special' about them if I am paying the same price as everyone else. I am not really very excited about having a special membership to a program that entitles me to pay the same as everyone else

Paul_Boland
11-24-2014, 06:02 PM
At first glance, the only difference I can see in how they look is the dark box around the sliders when active. Functionality-wise they seem exactly the same. Keep in mind, I have tested them for approximately 30 seconds so they may have changed in other ways as well.

Thanks. They don't really look any different at all. So what does "Improved Slider Drawing" mean?

Snosrap
That's all well and good Rob, but makes no sense unless your plans are to raise future upgrade costs substantially. In your scenario someone wanting to stay in the Hardcore program and who wants to get LW2015 now would have to shell out either $790 or $990 respectively. I suppose if someone wants to upgrade to 11 and then to 2015 in the future that would work - but why do that? And don't you really want everyone on the latest version?

Andy Webb
OK sorted, had my old dongle plugged in... :hammer::D

Paul_Boland
11-24-2014, 06:04 PM
When I go into my Products page in my account, the only upgrade I see is to upgrade to Lightwave 11. How do I do an upgrade to 2015 without buying 11? I understand this will cause me to lose my HardCORE status but I can't afford two upgrades (going to take a miracle to swing the funds to do one upgrade up to Lightwave 2015).

OlaHaldor
11-24-2014, 06:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOG2OvzN1rQ&feature=youtu.be

Thought I'd grab this demo scene and do a screengrab of it for you. It's a remote controlled car, all driven using bullet... very cooooool!

Oh... you've bought already :) Didn't take much persuasion ;)

I trust you guys. I'm fairly rookie, if I can take a grade at all, at rigging and such things. I've focused much more on rendering, and lately modeling.
Just don't let my fiance know. :D I can't sleep anyway, so I'll get to play around a little.

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 06:19 PM
I think the reality is that this is the 11.7 upgrade - but a paid one. :)

Snosrap,

Your assumption is not correct and we've never publicly announced any product called 11.7 so I'm not sure what you are basing your statement on. There are very specific and valuable new features and enhancements in the LightWave 2015 release which have existed in no other product version other than LightWave 2015.

While it is true that we did indeed provide amazing value to our customers throughout the 11.x cycle we are ultimately running a business and it is unrealistic to expect to get free product releases indefinitely. The fact is that we have invested significant development resources into this version of the software and I value the hard work that our LightWave development team put in. I think many of our customers will as well.

LightWave 2015 is indeed a product developed beyond the 11.x development cycle and is not part of that cycle. I hope you will give it a full look before making a statement like this because I think you will find that LightWave 2015 includes significant additions including some really great workflow enhancements that will likely make you very happy.

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Congrats on release guys and girls :).

Thanks Lewis!

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Wow! Wonderful update. The FBX exporter update is great! Just tried it with Unity and no more multiple materials to deal with. The bullet additions, the camera matching, the importance sampling, Genoma 2 and all the cool little workflow stuff and features. It's going to be hard to go to my family's Thanksgiving dinner, I just want to play with LW2015. Great Job LW3DG and Happy Thanksgiving! WOOT! YAY YAY!

Fantastic! We are very pleased to hear that. Yes a lot of work went into FBX and Alembic just to name a couple interchange related improvements in 2015. They are both much improved.

lwanmtr
11-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Again...gotta say kudos to the whole LW team...bullet bones is something i wanted a while...the other stuff is cool too.

jasonwestmas
11-24-2014, 06:30 PM
As I understand it the HardCORE pricing has always been $395 for Charter

Yes, that's what I recall. We get a $100 discount on this upgrade, thanks for that.

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 06:33 PM
So the special price I'm locked into is the same price everyone else is paying?
Wow I feel so 'special' right now.

If you are in Post Charter it is currently the same upgrade price with the pricing offered at this launch but with your HardCore post charter price guarantee you have no concerns about the price changing at any point for the period of your 5 upgrades. In fact we just came out of a period where the price for upgrades was $695 which HardCORE members were not affected by at all.

Having locked pricing is a benefit in my opinion but it is up to you to determine if you find it to be something that you wish to continue. As far as I am aware the HardCORE pricing guarantee did not insure that your post charter pricing level would always be less than the regular pricing although for the charter members it is because they receive such a large discount.

I've also softened the policy by offering a 30 day grace period for those that have not yet upgraded to the 11.x cycle at the time of the 2015 release as the policy states that those HardCORE memberships would expire upon release of the next paid upgrade.

robpowers3d
11-24-2014, 06:35 PM
That's all well and good Rob, but makes no sense unless your plans are to raise future upgrade costs substantially. In your scenario someone wanting to stay in the Hardcore program and who wants to get LW2015 now would have to shell out either $790 or $990 respectively. I suppose if someone wants to upgrade to 11 and then to 2015 in the future that would work - but why do that? And don't you really want everyone on the latest version?

Of course we do and all HardCORE members have had an extremely long window of time to upgrade to the 11.x cycle.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 06:37 PM
To be honest I did all that, and then just said "screw it" and upgraded. One thing I did notice was that my Space Navigator crashed the Demo/trial, but works fine in the full version. Odd.
Please FogBug that one: it'd be really nice if the DEMONSTRATION model worked more than perfectly.

wesleycorgi
11-24-2014, 06:44 PM
125675 Need to update content (refers to a mysterious Lightwave 11.7)

prometheus
11-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Not sure I am right or wrong here? it seems to me that there is a pattern of a lot of work going in to moving things, with all the stuff going with genoma for rigging, raycast in the 11 cycle, spline tools in layout, now bullet springs,hinges...dynamic parenting etc.

Michael

adk
11-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Kudos and well done Rob and the whole extended LW3D group! I don't know all of you but you're doing a fantastic job in, let's face it, a bloody tough environment, and I don't just mean outside competition. Ultimately LW is a product as well as a business and the fact that we're still here is a testament to everyone's commitment to solid future for LW. Cheers and happy trails.

mav3rick
11-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Nice one folks.

Won't be upgrading this month though, the car just dropped a valve yesterday, complete engine rebuild required... :-(

bad luck bro ... bad luck ... hopefully santa (mechanic) will save a cent or two for you !

Wayne Heim
11-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Rob, any chance you guys have fixed the issue with the vertex normal maps that has been around for many upgrade cycles??? This is a real issue for those of us working with cad data. If you rotate any object with vertex normal maps in modeler the vertex normal maps get screwed up? At times it is way easier to have the freedom to rotate things in modeler while you work on them. It's a major headache that have been around way too long.

Please tell us there is good news!

Wayne

rustythe1
11-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggg ggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
sorry had to shout, great news on an update Rob, however not so great for me as I cant download right now! have been a hardcore member from day 1 and all upgrades in between, my account is showing me as a charter member, but when I click on the upgrade it is listing it as a $495 upgrade so I will have to wait until I here back from CS. check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox.......check inbox

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks. They don't really look any different at all. So what does "Improved Slider Drawing" mean?
Possible the >>routines<< that draw them are more efficient, not especially the specific pixels that are placed on the screen.

VirtualFM
11-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Hello guys!

I'm happy there is a new Lightwave out. I'm not thrilled that you adopted the "year nomenclature", I was actually feeling proud that you had not yet succumbed to that "year nomenclature" plague, just like Cinema 4D, Houdini, Modo, Fusion, Nuke, etc, but ok, you probably made your marketing research and came to the conclusion that would be a better approach.

I would like to know what would be the price for this in Euros. I can't find it on the page, and the Newtek-Europe site has nothing on Lightwave (at least I can't find it).

The reason I am asking is because I want to confirm that the price I have on my "upgrade page" is the correct one. I had a situation with the upgrade last time (weeks spent talking with costumer support) and want to be sure the price I have on display is the correct price for someone who is entitled to the "Charter discount", i.e., $395 instead of $495. Last time I had an hard time to convince you that I was entitled to the discount and want to be sure that situation is clarified for good. (basically, I bought Lightwave Core on the last day of the discount, 30th March, but due to evident delays in email exchange and Newtek-Europe/Newtek-US communication the registration only took place on April 15th and because of that your sort algorythm(?) was putting me on the $495 batch with no discount).

Thank you.

Snosrap
11-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Snosrap,

Your assumption is not correct and we've never publicly announced any product called 11.7 so I'm not sure what you are basing your statement on. Hence the smiley. And from first glance it looks like an 11.7 upgrade. :)

There are very specific and valuable new features and enhancements in the LightWave 2015 release which have existed in no other product version other than LightWave 2015. I don't doubt that considering we are talking about Lightwave.

While it is true that we did indeed provide amazing value to our customers throughout the 11.x cycle we are ultimately running a business and it is unrealistic to expect to get free product releases indefinitely. Agreed and thank you for that amazing value with the 11 cycle.

The fact is that we have invested significant development resources into this version of the software and I value the hard work that our LightWave development team put in. I think many of our customers will as well. I don't doubt that, but 3 plus years to go to 11 to 2015 seems way too long. If that's caused by the rewriting of the architecture then that would be understandable, but we the users are not seeing much fruit of those labors. (I'm talking Modeler BTW, I love the progress with Layout.)

LightWave 2015 is indeed a product developed beyond the 11.x development cycle and is not part of that cycle. I hope you will give it a full look before making a statement like this because I think you will find that LightWave 2015 includes significant additions including some really great workflow enhancements that will likely make you very happy. I love LW 11 and no doubt will love 2015 and will be upgrading 4 seats tomorrow. I just hope the 2015 naming convention won't mean lame yearly paid upgrades. After all it took 3 plus years to go from 11 to 2015.

LW is really good but more than good - it's fast - and that's why we continue to use. I consider Modo to be superior in it's technology, but it takes less time to get the job done in LW and that's what matters to us. --- (Modo license is collecting dust with the exception of occasional use for for getting SubD models into Inventor/Solidworks which is amazing. :) )

Thanks to you and your team for your efforts, lets just see better polygonal handling in Modeler for 2016 - or sooner. :)

ncr100
11-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Where did you find the docs? They aren't in my account and I didn't see them in the content or with the program download. Did I miss something obvious?

Try:

Macintosh HD ▸ Applications ▸ NewTek ▸ LightWave3D_2015 ▸ docs ▸ Help ... "LightWave2015.pdf"

Or, the Help menu in the App.

sudac20
11-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Any lattice tools in layout?

ncr100
11-24-2014, 07:14 PM
When I go into my Products page in my account, the only upgrade I see is to upgrade to Lightwave 11. How do I do an upgrade to 2015 without buying 11? I understand this will cause me to lose my HardCORE status but I can't afford two upgrades (going to take a miracle to swing the funds to do one upgrade up to Lightwave 2015).

Go https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave/ and scroll down a bit to the second section - there should be an upgrade offer listed for your consideration.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 07:17 PM
After all it took 3 plus years to go from 11 to 2015.
0_o This is when Rob really earns his antacid money. 8~

It probably took 3 years to go from 11 to 2015 BECAUSE of the antiquated architecture. Now that that's cleared away, yearly upgrades might be possible.

lwanmtr
11-24-2014, 07:19 PM
The time hasnt been all that long to me...the 11 cycle has been a good one, and they had(have) alotta antique basic to replace with modern magic code :)

Oedo 808
11-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Congratulations, some good looking changes there, not sure it's enough for me, but I'm happy to have the architecture as the focus where Modeler is concerned, so we'll see next time if I haven't already jumped aboard before then.

With some attention having been paid to FBX, is there any change here (just quoting an old post):

I don't suppose with exporting joints via .fbx there's been a fix on the naming offset? I guess not as offsetting the names would no longer be the fix I see it still is, I was just holding out a little hope that something might have changed and that I was obliviously doing the 'old' workaround while everyone else was working in carefree .fbx exchange bliss.

Would be glad if someone could let me know.

While I was understanding of the deal that was struck with providing Poser to full upgrades, I hope that there won't be any offers where the division falls between charter and post-charter members now that there is parity with the standard pricing for that.

Snosrap
11-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Of course we do and all HardCORE members have had an extremely long window of time to upgrade to the 11.x cycle. You said it :) All kidding aside those that hadn't upgraded missed out big time in those 3 years. In my mind the 11 cycle will go down as the best ever. You should be very proud of your team.

ernpchan
11-24-2014, 07:24 PM
In my mind the 11 cycle will go down as the best ever.

So far...:D

I think the future for LW is very bright. Very eager to see what's in store as old code is revamped, existing tools are enhanced and new tools are added.

Snosrap
11-24-2014, 07:28 PM

It probably took 3 years to go from 11 to 2015 BECAUSE of the antiquated architecture. Now that that's cleared away, yearly upgrades might be possible. Well I hope that's the case. Don't get me wrong, LW11 was a great release. And antiquated architecture could very well be the reason for the long dev cycle. But the problem is - I can't see that. What's in 2015 that would be impossible to do in 11.6? The architecture looks the same to me. :)

ernpchan
11-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Well I hope that's the case. Don't get me wrong, LW11 was a great release. And antiquated architecture could very well be the reason for the long dev cycle. But the problem is - I can't see that. What's in 2015 that would be impossible to do in 11.6? The architecture looks the same to me. :)

Lol, good point. Maybe parts under the hood are new and tweaked, we just still have the old body/wrapper over it.

spherical
11-24-2014, 07:34 PM
I don't doubt that, but 3 plus years to go to 11 to 2015 seems way too long.

I just hope the 2015 naming convention won't mean lame yearly paid upgrades. After all it took 3 plus years to go from 11 to 2015.

Those two points contradict each other. Which do you want? For me, I'm happy that it took 3 years, as after the HardCORE membership purchase I was expecting the major versions to come along quickly and gobble up the 5 upgrades in short order.

Oedo 808
11-24-2014, 07:35 PM
The time hasnt been all that long to me...the 11 cycle has been a good one, and they had(have) alotta antique basic to replace with modern magic code :)

Yes, I'm very happy with LightWave 11, it certainly helped atone for 10 which I was less than enthusiastic about.

I don't know if Lauren Washington still works for NewTek, but if she does I should apologize for being such a miserable **** when she contacted me after moaning that I never received the LW10 hard copy, although hardly to be coveted, not receiving it on top of not being impressed when things ended at 10.1, I was very unappreciative of her making the effort. So, if you are reading this, Lauren (or can be pointed to it), I'm sorry for being an obnoxious knob. Only three years too late.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 07:36 PM
But the problem is - I can't see that. What's in 2015 that would be impossible to do in 11.6? The architecture looks the same to me. :)
Fair enough-- my reading of your post may be harsher than your intention, esp. since you're upgrading 4 seats: you can't be TOO disappointed.

To tell you the truth, I'd LUVV to see a q&d documentary about what had to be recoded and shored up and whatever, something pretty technical but not eyes-glaze-over technical. 15 minutes should do for those of us w/o degrees in math and programming. Then we'd see the cogs and belts behind the UI.

+++
And to join the chorus, I also think my HC membership was money extremely well spent, even though LW isn't paying the bills currently ( due solely to my own fecklessness).

Megalodon2.0
11-24-2014, 07:41 PM

It probably took 3 years to go from 11 to 2015 BECAUSE of the antiquated architecture. Now that that's cleared away, yearly upgrades might be possible.

Not arguing here, but where does it say that ALL of the "antiquated architecture" has been "cleared away"? If this is the case, great - I just didn't see where it was mentioned that ALL of it is gone.

Kaptive
11-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Not arguing here, but where does it say that ALL of the "antiquated architecture" has been "cleared away"? If this is the case, great - I just didn't see where it was mentioned that ALL of it is gone.

Yes, that seems unlikely. More probable is that (some) bottlenecks and dead ends have been totally remodelled that open up new connections throughout the program. I'd love to hear what it means in terms of potential from a laymans point of view. Not that I doubt its importance, quite the opposite... I just wish I knew what new tech it will lead to. Maybe one last opportunity to bang my FiberFX and HV update drum again. :) You never know.

hrgiger
11-24-2014, 07:56 PM
At first I was a bit put off by the idea that our charter member pricing was being devalued by a price reduction since we would no longer be receiving a discount. But after considering it and Rob's comments, I have to agree, it was a price guarantee against future pricing increases so I see this in no way going against what Newtek offered us with the hardcore program.

There are some really good improvements with LightWave 2015 and I agree also with Rob in this case that they are a business and while getting some free updates is nice, they can't give away anything for free. So congratulations LW3DG on the latest release and personally, I like going with the 2015 moniker.

If anything, my only issue would be that I still have real concerns about future growth with LightWave with its architecture in mind. I know that Rob stated they are working on things but after CORE, I think that LW3DG has really asked a lot for people to stick around on the basis that things would change 'under the hood' and yet now it's several years later, and we haven't seen a lot of indication that real change is happening. Features are nice and all, but they're not as important as a solid framework which we know is historically, not LightWave's strong suit.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Not arguing here, but where does it say that ALL of the "antiquated architecture" has been "cleared away"?
You're right, but they've been doing SOMETHING for 3 years.

meatycheesyboy
11-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Try:

Macintosh HD ▸ Applications ▸ NewTek ▸ LightWave3D_2015 ▸ docs ▸ Help ... "LightWave2015.pdf"

Or, the Help menu in the App.

Thank you. I'm so used to downloading the docs separately it didn't even cross my mind that they might actually be installed with the program.

meatycheesyboy
11-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Anyone else notice how fast it installs compared to 11.6.3? On the PC, 11.6.3 always took 1.5-2 minutes to install or uninstall for me but 2015 installs in like 20 seconds. I know it's minor but yay for either a.) a leaner program or b.) a better installer.

wesleycorgi
11-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Anyone else notice how fast it installs compared to 11.6.3? On the PC, 11.6.3 always took 1.5-2 minutes to install or uninstall for me but 2015 installs in like 20 seconds. I know it's minor but yay for either a.) a leaner program or b.) a better installer.

Yes, definitely. It surprised me.

Elmar Moelzer
11-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Ecellent release, once again, Rob and LW3DG- team! I cant wait to get the update!

prometheus
11-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Ecellent release, once again, Rob and LW3DG- team! I cant wait to get the update!

And any new stuff with volumedic around the corner? or perhaps you are awaiting to check whatīs been done under the hood? :)

wesleycorgi
11-24-2014, 08:33 PM
I loaded a subd'ed object from 11.6.3 and it shows some holes in 2015 that aren't in 11.6 modeler. I haven't rendered in either Layout though.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 08:35 PM
I loaded a subd'ed object from 11.6.3 and it shows some holes in 2015 that aren't in 11.6 modeler. I haven't rendered in either Layout though.
Why not wait 2 minutes until you have that render???

Paul_Boland
11-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Of course we do and all HardCORE members have had an extremely long window of time to upgrade to the 11.x cycle.

You said it :) All kidding aside those that hadn't upgraded missed out big time in those 3 years. In my mind the 11 cycle will go down as the best ever. You should be very proud of your team.

No offence to Rob or Snosrap, but not all of us have a job... I'm long term unemployed and can't get work anywhere. After weekly expenses I'm left with a few euro in pocket to get me through till the following week and that gets decimated if God forbid I have to buy a tube of toothpaste or shower gel or something else that isn't part of the weekly expenses. I made a number of attempts to make the upgrade from 10 to 11 over the years it has been out but every one of them failed due to unexpected expenses popping up. I'm going to try and make the move to Lightwave 2015 but seriously I need a financial miracle to land on my lap! And while I do want to make the upgrade, if I did find myself with some cash on hand, given other priorities in my life right now, upgrading Lightwave isn't top of the list sadly. But I will try...

wesleycorgi
11-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Why not wait 2 minutes until you have that render???
Just noting my observations (away from computer right now). Will fb if there is a discrepancy.

wellsichris
11-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Congrats to the team! Lightwave 2015 is great! I especially love the importance sampling, I do a lot of image based lighting, and if you are using light probes with strong light sources, this is huge!!

your mileage will probably vary, but if you use light probes for lighting, and they have bright lights, this is a really big deal!!

here is a test I did with a light probe for background GI that has a sun,

importance sampling Off 679.9 seconds.
importance sampling on, 9.3 seconds and looks way cleaner!!

Erwin Zwart
11-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Hello guys!
I'm happy there is a new Lightwave out. I'm not thrilled that you adopted the "year nomenclature", I was actually feeling proud that you had not yet succumbed to that "year nomenclature" plague, just like Cinema 4D, Houdini, Modo, Fusion, Nuke, etc, but ok, you probably made your marketing research and came to the conclusion that would be a better approach.

For the record, it is still Cinema 4D R16, MODO 801 and NUKE 9. But indeed you can choose to do annual upgrade plan or buy per version. I guess by the naming Newtek goes to annual upgrade plan too? I think it is necessary to get enough funding for decent R&D pace. I don't like year version naming though.

I have looked at the (main) feature list of LW 2015 and decided that most of the features I would use I already use right now in MODO. At this moment for me as HardCore Charter member who did not buy into 11.X it would cost 2x$395 to get LW2015 and I can't justify that. So I decided to drop out of the HardCore Charter and will upgrade maybe in future if I see an advantage to that at that time based on that version. I still open LW 9.6 and 10.1 once in a while to get to older client projects and then it appeared painfully to me how fast I forgot the buttons and tricks and workarounds that were in my fingers automatically during all the years since LW 3.1 Amiga and not using it enough. In the past I experienced similarly after a long vacation but much less worse.

So for now I wish you all well and I will follow from a larger distance than since the demise of LightWave HC, that was in hindsight for me the time I stopped, mind you I paid for HardCore when I already was working in MODO, but wanted to fund the chance to get an all new LightWave. I remember I considered supporting via HC again into 11.0 and 11.5, but at those times I saw no immediate advantages to switch back or even use LW 'on the side'. Layout still is great, Modeler feels very old and detached to me.
I will do a 30 day trial though in some time to test my decision and for $495 as a non-HC-member I can buy LW2015 if I am correct.

Erwin

support www.theoceancleanup.com !

Bookman
11-24-2014, 08:51 PM

*hopefully*

When Core was canceled, IRC, Rob said that they would integrate LW within a 3 release development schedule. If 10.0 counted then it should have been in this one, if not then it should be in the next one. The time between LW11, and 2015 IMHO should have meant that integration was coming in this build, but alas that is not the case.

On a side note, I don't want to come off as only focusing on the negatives, or disappointments. Many of the features in there are quite important. Some "better late than never" but important none the less. Upgrading to 2015 will be a priority for me even if my software purchases are moving away from LW in favor of applications that work better with UE4, and more standard pipelines. LW is still important to me, probably more for the safety crutch aspects over anything else, but I still prefer using it to anything else. So onward and upward!

zapper1998
11-24-2014, 08:58 PM

-Juanjo

ok I missed the info... say what?? I do not understand. to much to absorb at the moment..

prometheus
11-24-2014, 08:59 PM
anyone tested the bullet bone dynamics with bullet hard bodies? parts? and how they react if a tentacle bone will be able to smash in to a wall? and another thing I am curious about is if the bones react to bullet vortex forces and those other force fields? or is bullet bones limited to bullet deforming bodies at this state?

Michael

danielkaiser
11-24-2014, 08:59 PM
And output to Quicktime as well.

Took them 8 years but a great addition. Wonder if it was a newtek thing or apple finely get the hint.?

wellsichris
11-24-2014, 09:02 PM
also the deformation motion blur is awesome! I do a lot of characters that are using mdd's, and it's way faster,

here is a test that in 11.6 it was 86 seconds,
and in 2015 it was 8 seconds!

again, I'm sure your mileage will vary, image based lighting on a mdd' character with PR motion blur, I am getting big speed ups!

jeric_synergy
QT= non-issue IMO, since rendering to a compiled format is just asking for trouble.

ernpchan
Pretty sure it's a LW thing. Apple doesn't support 64 bit.

ernpchan
11-24-2014, 09:05 PM
QT= non-issue IMO, since rendering to a compiled format is just asking for trouble.

True. I use qts as background plates for reference so having to remember to switch to 32 was always a pain.

Bookman
11-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Quicktime is still one of the things that you need to support if for no other reason that clients want to see files in QT for pre-deliveries in most cases. Being able to render a preview directly out of LW to a QT saves a step.

jasonwestmas
11-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Pretty sure it's a LW thing. Apple doesn't support 64 bit.

still? Jezzes

m.d.
11-24-2014, 09:23 PM
quicktime playback on windows using only quicktime components is 32 bit only....may come with a 64bit gui but still 32 bit process.

Only with custom .mov playback components (non-apple) can playback be 64 bit decoding....Adobe does this for PPro but if falling back to a quicktime SDK decode you are 32 bit

VermilionCat
11-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Is there what's new doc? Currently it's scattered all over the manual. Asking too much?

-Edit

Okay, didn't know I could jump with link. It's fine.

shermanlu
11-24-2014, 09:54 PM
NevronMotion Couldn't be activated in LW2015, any idea?

Amurrell
11-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Well modeler has some cosmetic changes icon wise, and the multishift tool interactivity has improved quiet a bit. Color space in modeler is handled better and displays as expected for me now. I know it's not much, but someone is tinkering around in there, so I hope there is a modeler development explosion soon.

TrueSongMedia
11-24-2014, 09:58 PM
I see Rounder is still buggy in 2015. Oy.

Snosrap
11-24-2014, 09:59 PM
No offence to Rob or Snosrap, but not all of us have a job... I'm long term unemployed and can't get work anywhere. After weekly expenses I'm left with a few euro in pocket to get me through till the following week and that gets decimated if God forbid I have to buy a tube of toothpaste or shower gel or something else that isn't part of the weekly expenses. I made a number of attempts to make the upgrade from 10 to 11 over the years it has been out but every one of them failed due to unexpected expenses popping up. I'm going to try and make the move to Lightwave 2015 but seriously I need a financial miracle to land on my lap! And while I do want to make the upgrade, if I did find myself with some cash on hand, given other priorities in my life right now, upgrading Lightwave isn't top of the list sadly. But I will try...

No worries. Sorry to hear you've been unemployed for a long term. Good luck.

prometheus
11-24-2014, 10:02 PM

Not really, quicktime is very handy for fast previz, and lightwave is quite stable nowadays to simply run a vpr animation and grab and post to youtube without firing up a composting program and compile, and then you got baking of hypervoxels which I believe comes in handy ..and in fact the best to use apart from avi.

saranine
11-24-2014, 10:02 PM
This is good news from Newtek! I haven't tried it yet. Anyone know if LW 2015 works with Maxwell?

Snosrap
11-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Fair enough-- my reading of your post may be harsher than your intention, esp. since you're upgrading 4 seats: you can't be TOO disappointed. It's been 3 years since they've gotten any money from us. So yes we will support their effort. Besides there were a ton of little things in LW11 that really made life easier that didn't make the headlines, so if the same applies for 2015 we'll be happy.

wesleycorgi
11-24-2014, 10:17 PM

I stand corrected — things look fine in 2015 (loaded two different versions).

m.d.
11-24-2014, 10:19 PM

I wouldn't render to it....but the container (MOV) is easily capable of High bit depth (10,12,16 bit color) video...and can be great as backplates/textures ect ect.
More of a convenience....but if someone gives you Red or Alexa footage, your only previous option to retain bit depth was an exr/tiff sequence.

A 1080 exr frame...just RGB can be 12MB a frame
Cineform 14 bit MOV 40MB/sec...

Snosrap
11-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Those two points contradict each other. Which do you want? For me, I'm happy that it took 3 years, as after the HardCORE membership purchase I was expecting the major versions to come along quickly and gobble up the 5 upgrades in short order. No it doesn't. If you take all they have accomplished with the LW11 cycle and then divide that by three then you'll get an idea of how many improvements (based on their history) you'll get with a yearly paid upgrade release schedule. Think about it - would it be worth $400 to have upgraded from 11 to 11.5 and another $400 to upgrade from 11.5 to 11.6? I've always thought the value of LW was extremely high with how they have done their upgrades. Going to a 2015 moniker is new territory in what it could mean to the value. If they can put out great great upgrades in a yearly cycle I've got no issues with giving them money. Great yearly upgrades can most likely only happen on a modern foundation however, so I guess we'll see in the coming months/years if that foundation has been laid. :)

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Looking at the laundry list...

*Falloff Improvements in Modeler

Is this exclusively the "Textured Falloffs" feature?? --only the way it's listed makes me ask.

vncnt
11-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Has someone already posted a Genoma2 video?
Iīd like to see what it can do with facial rigs.

Nice dynamic re-parent tool.

Canīt wait to buy the upgrade tonight - itīs gonna be a long day!

Emmanuel
11-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Do objects attafched to flocking agents now work with motionblur ?

spherical
11-25-2014, 12:18 AM
No it doesn't.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the contradiction. :D

motivalex
11-25-2014, 12:24 AM
Some nice new useful features and workflow enhancements and good to see Bullet finally complete. I was surprised a new LW version was released this soon, but I suspect the things I'm looking for like a total overhaul to Modeler as hinted by Rob, animated modelling tools (is this on the cards?) , decent undo system etc is a major undertaking and not financially viable to delay the product further. All businesses need cash flow. Anyway, some good stuff on this release and look forward to seeing what future releases bring.

MrFurious
11-25-2014, 12:35 AM

Per-Surface Clipmaps:

Very much a big deal and a huge timesaver. Gone are the days of having to 'load from scene' for clipmapped objects, and indeed setting up the scene in the first place! Also good news is the image viewer list options, for me it's the workflow speedups more than anything that will be my reason for updating. Good work LW3DG

vipvip242
11-25-2014, 12:45 AM
I was quite sure to get some good news about hypervoxels, particles and multithreaded bullet on this new release cycle but nope ( for multithreaded bullet, not confirmed as far as i've read the forum. Anyway it seems to be interesting good stuff... but i think i'll wait to upgrade
And what about the 3rd party plugin compatibility ? Are the actual versions working with LW2015 ?
( Octane render - Syflex - turbulentFD are the one i use )
Thanks

MrFurious
11-25-2014, 12:55 AM
:thumbsup: That's a feature I have been requesting for a while and Lightwave has needed it for a long time! It will save lots of time and make applying multiple clip maps on trees and shrubs much easier without having to break up the geometry by surface into separate object layers just to apply different clip maps to them. Thanks!

Kindof a moot point if you've upgraded (or planning to shortly) but in LW 11.6.3 you can have multiple clipmaps for your trees in a single layered object, without having to break apart your object into multiple layers (this sux if you want to clone or instance a multi layered object). Do this by stacking your clipmaps assigned to separate UV maps, save as a scene file and 'load object from scene' to load it. Can provide a samples scene if you like.

OlaHaldor
11-25-2014, 12:56 AM
Both Octane and TFD works. I'd guess Syflex works as well.

Kryslin
11-25-2014, 01:02 AM
First, Kudos to LW3DG.

Sasquatch still works with LW_2015. LWCAD works with LW2015. I need to get some of my other plugins installed and tested.

I'm noticing a fairly impressive speed up in rendering in general. Loving the mouse wheel zoom (Finally!). Loving Chamfer not crashing during interactive use.

And finally - is there a change log?

ncr100
11-25-2014, 01:16 AM

If anything, my only issue would be that I still have real concerns about future growth with LightWave with its architecture in mind. I know that Rob stated they are working on things but after CORE, I think that LW3DG has really asked a lot for people to stick around on the basis that things would change 'under the hood' and yet now it's several years later, and we haven't seen a lot of indication that real change is happening. Features are nice and all, but they're not as important as a solid framework which we know is historically, not LightWave's strong suit.

Architectures absolutely need to be used else they will rot, faster than one might expect. I've seen it. So I hope all the under the hood work is being used now in some form or another. :thumbsup:

Wolfgang Mildne
11-25-2014, 01:20 AM
Just got my announcement of the upcoming LW 2015. Having been a little outside of the CGI world for some time, it was good to learn that Newtek keeps to the word about upgrading us Charter Veterans.

Only want to say - Thank You Newtek - from a happy longtime user.

3dworks
11-25-2014, 01:41 AM
+1 for a change log/ list of fixed bugs!

MrFurious
11-25-2014, 01:47 AM
ditto

MarcusM
11-25-2014, 01:48 AM
I do most modeling but will upgrade to 2015 and believe in future more focus on Modeler like Rob Powers wrote upper :) I buy LWCad soon too..

Change log? Bug fixes list for LW 2015 please.

sami
11-25-2014, 01:56 AM
As a long time customer since LW 4 on Win 3.1.1 who actually makes money with the product (which more than pays for itself for me), congratulations to the LWDG team & Rob for a great release!! I'll be upgrading this weekend when I have a moment for installations.

Big thanks for:

the new bullet bone dynamics
the awesome new joints & springs - it was difficult using those features in other apps like Unity and coming back to LW without them - thanks!
clip maps per surface - simple feature sorely needed!
the docs rewrite - haven't peeked yet, but this also is a massive amount of work that is far preferable to the old way of annotating old manuals for several versions - I hope this means docs will remain up to date for full point upgrades
3D connexion spaceport updates!! :)

But the biggest thanks is for keeping the licensing model!!!! I'm very happy you have perpetual licenses and didn't get succumb to evil cloud only subscriptions. Rob, I will always want at least an option for a perpetual license even if it's a higher price and you go subscription. Software is a capital expense to me, not a utility bill, and I want to manage costs upfront. So THANK YOU for keeping it this way and please continue to do so.

A couple of questions though if you can answer please:

Any updates in 2015 on improving the SDK and Python for developers? If not now, will there be any in the 2015.x cycle?
Any updates in 2015 for Modeler viewport VPR (the edge rendering improvements would also be awesome if they were available in viewports or if more wireframe customization added to modeling views) or anticipated in the 2015.x cycle?

At the risk of accidentally kicking a hornet's nest (and the reason I find the forums somewhat exhausting to wade through for quality info), this isn't typical LW fanboy sh*t when I say this, Great Work on an awesome piece of software. Thanks for the subtle workflow fixes too!! You have earned my continued purchases for an amazing 3D value in software!

Keep doing what you guys are doing, and hopefully one day all the armchair CTOs and developers here in the forums will quit speculating and enjoy LightWave and concentrate on expressing their angst in 3D art, instead of playing "Fantasy F̶o̶o̶t̶b̶a̶l̶l̶ Software Development Group" ;)

starbase1
11-25-2014, 02:27 AM
Do we know if the basics of bullet physics have been improved?

Previously I've had poor results (objects passing through each other or getting stuck on each other), unless I stuck with really simple collision shapes.

Without that being fixed I can't see the point of adding more options.

CaptainMarlowe
11-25-2014, 02:30 AM
I should hate LW3DG for forcing me into a difficult choice. Considering my budget, I had planned to buy an iPad to replace my old-slowly dying tablet. But Bullet constraints, per surface clip maps and perspective matching alone would save me a considerable amount of time (I am quite eager to test Genoma 2 also, hoping it still works nicely with Nevron Motion, as I use a lot of mocap), so my money will in priority go to the LW 2015 upgrade.
I too would have hoped for more modeler love, but as I am doing much more animation than modeling these days, I'm quite happy with the new features. So a big thank to LW3DG and the tablet will wait, not a big deal.
(I would also wish badly a LW to Apple Motion plug-in, but I understand it would be too much work for a very small potential amount of users, despite Motion 5 being a very capable app for its price)

Marander
11-25-2014, 02:34 AM
Great new release, congrats LW3DG!

One funny thing I found when looking for the changelog...

I guess that's not the one...!

Edit: I love the new documentation, it's cool to still have a pdf file available for offline use.

Waves of light
11-25-2014, 02:40 AM

Thanks for the clarification Rob. Oh and at least you didn't go down the subscription route, thank goodness.