PDA

View Full Version : Edit Edges/Select Loop

wesleycorgi
11-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Is there a way to force a "loop?" For example, to create some geometry to correct a sub-d, I will use the line pen tool. However, the Edit Edges tool will not detect it as part of the same loop. Similarly, if you select a couple of edges then run select a loop, it only picks up a part of the edges.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Did you merge the points created by the line pen tool w/the existing loop?

I'm not sure how the loop detection algorithm works (ha! there's an understatement) but I imagine it requires contiguous segments. It would be GREAT if somewhere the rules that define a loop were listed: note I'm not suggesting any change, but if we KNOW what they are we can work within the rules.

Similar to how Rounder works pretty well, once you know the limitations/rules.

JoePoe
11-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Don't know about other packages, but it seems that in LW, edge detection stops at any intersection other than a four-way.
And it kinda makes sense. How would it know which fork in the road to take?
That being said, I swear I've seen other software do it with ease. Then again maybe not and it's just a "grass is greener" thing.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 03:41 PM
This would be best with examples of geometry, and showing w/screengrabs that other apps actually CAN handle it.

And the 'forking' problem is probably exactly the issue (hard to know COUGH COUGH without pix).

JoePoe
11-24-2014, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I don't have any examples. I was just joking about others being able to do it because I'm still doing a slow burn over that Wings3D (FREE program) video where it did some very basic stuff in a click or two that LW either can't, or struggles mightily, to do.

Oh, and btw I believe those "forks" are called Extraordinary Vertices. And I think they're a universal issue.

wesleycorgi
11-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Did you merge the points created by the line pen tool w/the existing loop?

No, but is this required since the Pen Tool is connecting vertex to vertex?

jeric_synergy
11-25-2014, 09:34 PM
No, but is this required since the Pen Tool is connecting vertex to vertex?
Beats me. But if the Pen Tool created duplicate .....

screw this. Post the geometry.

spherical
11-25-2014, 10:50 PM

:D Made my evening.

Amurrell
11-25-2014, 11:29 PM

lol. Filed away for future use.