PDA

View Full Version : Select pattern-selecting according to this pattern

prometheus
11-21-2014, 01:26 AM
As far as I can see, I canīt see any way to select like this except for selecting one row in a loop then manually select the next and the next etc..
nth pattern donīt work, step select wont work, the only way I can get similar is to select an edge loop in edge mode and then select ring, and then select nth pattern 2x2, but I need it to be poly selection and not edges.
Have I missed something nativly or a plugin for it?

Michael

probiner
11-21-2014, 01:44 AM
Option A - Select nth 2/1 on two loops along the capsule length. This leaves you with pairs of adjacent polygons selected, so when you run Select Loop it will select rings of the capsule. (If the Select Loop doesn't work at first inver the selection 2 times)

http://i.imgur.com/sk3G0y3.png

Option B - Select loop. select next loop two times. add to part or surface. repeat until the end of the tube. Maybe there's a plugin that allows you to add to a selection pool and not just store a individual selection as the ones that some to mind.

http://i.imgur.com/awDrmk5.png

Yup dem workaround mindset :D
Cheers

JoePoe
11-21-2014, 10:33 AM
I like Option A......... BUT.
It'll only work with an even number of sections, otherwise the select Nth to get the poly pairs will result in a stair stepped selection.
AND... in order to get a symmetrical/"even" pattern (this may or may not be your desire) you will need an odd number of sections. Otherwise the rings will be shifted to one side as above.

So here's a variation on Option A that'll work in both situations.... odd or even :hey:.

1) select an edge loop along length of capsule. 125597 2) select Nth 2/1 125598

3) select ring 125599 4) invert selection 125600

5) switch to polys 125601 6) invert again if you want the other set. 125602

probiner
11-21-2014, 12:12 PM
I don't get the 'odd' situation...
Yup, applying nth on an edge is also nice.

prometheus
11-21-2014, 01:23 PM
I wonder though, it might be just as good to manually select the pattern, not sure if any of the options improves the workflow speed in terms of selection actions.

Thanks for the tips guys...will try some different selection ways.

Michael

JoePoe
11-21-2014, 01:41 PM
I wonder though, it might be just as good to manually select the pattern...

In this particular case, sure. But what if the "capsule" had 100 (and 1 :)) sections and had some twists and turns?

@ Probiner: I'll throw up an image to illustrate what I'm getting at when I get back in front of computer.

JoePoe
11-21-2014, 04:45 PM
A small point, to be sure.
But here ya go.

probiner
11-21-2014, 05:07 PM
I still don't see the problem with the options I presented... lol. But nevermind it. It's solved :D

JoePoe
11-21-2014, 06:38 PM
:D Man, I must be terrible at explaining myself! :ohmy:

You don't see the difference between these two? 125609 The pattern on one is symmetric and not on the other.
** BTW... I only bring it up because Michael's original had a symmetrical selection. **
In alternating sections, symmetry is only achievable with an odd number of divisions (end cap segments don't matter in capsule creation in this regard because there are two end caps. And the sum of two odd numbers is always even and the sum of two even numbers is always even.) :jam:

And if that makes sense :goodluck: or not, go ahead and try Option A on a capsule with an odd# of divisions. :beerchug:
(Regardless if you see, or don't see the difference) if you happen to be working with an odd number, it's not going to work.

probiner
11-22-2014, 03:09 AM
I see :)

Cheers