PDA

View Full Version : Physical effect - underwater - Any ideas?

silviotoledo
11-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Any ideas about how to simulate underwater effect? I reffer to shot a movie with physical effect of hair floating without water. Maybe some wind or wires. No CG effect. Is it possible? So we will add cg water later. I'm looking for something like they did in Gravity, but not in the space, it's underwater. Something to float and desacelerate hair as low gravity effect.

MAUROCOR
11-20-2014, 03:51 AM
Any ideas about how to simulate underwater effect? I reffer to shot a movie with physical effect of hair floating without water. Maybe some wind or wires. No CG effect. Is it possible? So we will add cg water later. I'm looking for something like they did in Gravity, but not in the space, it's underwater. Something to float and desacelerate hair as low gravity effect.

As you told in your post you can use low gravity effect and dynamics applied to the hair.

silviotoledo
11-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Sorry, maurocor, I forgot to explain it's live action film shot then we will add digital water later, but I want to prevent shoting underwater. The shot will have a boy and a girl. Doing a boy should be easier once actor can perform as in slow motion. The problem with the girl is the long hair, that must float. Doing a CG hair is not good because FFX is not that good for realistic hair, so I'm thinking someone have already done similar effect and can help.

OFF
11-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Polygonal hair (like Poser hair) + Inertia, or SoftFX, or ClothFX (or Bullet).

Axis3d
11-20-2014, 01:06 PM
You could shoot the boy and girl in slow motion and have them perform their motions faster while shooting. If you shoot at 4 times normal speed, then your actors must perform their actions 4 times faster. Use a fan to blow their hair and clothing upward and about while shooting. During normal playback, the people will then be moving at normal speed again, but their hair and clothing will be 'floating' at a slower rate. This "dry for wet" technique has been used for years in movies, and even in the Lord of the Rings series whenever someone is underwater.

shrox
11-20-2014, 02:28 PM
You could shoot the boy and girl in slow motion and have them perform their motions faster while shooting. If you shoot at 4 times normal speed, then your actors must perform their actions 4 times faster. Use a fan to blow their hair and clothing upward and about while shooting. During normal playback, the people will then be moving at normal speed again, but their hair and clothing will be 'floating' at a slower rate. This "dry for wet" technique has been used for years in movies, and even in the Lord of the Rings series whenever someone is underwater.

Yes, same as I was thinking.

silviotoledo
11-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks Axis3d! This will help a lot! Dry for wet was exactly the name of technique I was looking for!

Thanks maurocor, shrox and OFFF for colaborating!

gerardstrada
11-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Besides the cables rig, your are gonna need to throw air in constant way from bottom to top. Lighting should be also very diffuse and omnidirectional. Since is very expensive to get omnidirectional soft lighting in studio, use diffusers for lighting your models/actors from below. Underwater lighting have also no specular highlights (this is probably the most notorious characteristic), so you might want to use a polarizing filter. A polarizing filter will help also if you want to reflect light from corrugated foil (aluminium paper) on water to simulate caustics. If possible, try to shot also a bit sub-exposed to avoid clipping the highlights.

On post-production, the residuary specular highlights can be suppressed with a Highlight filter. Don't forget to add some glow filter since it really helps to sell the effect.

http://s4.postimg.org/5qn5reejh/underwater_Fake.gif

Additionally, you might want to use a smoke machine to add some uniform and very slight fog effect.

Gerardo

silviotoledo
11-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Thanks a lot Gerardo!