PDA

View Full Version : Animating a hole being dug?

squarewulf
11-18-2014, 07:23 PM
I can't think of a clever way to go about this and couldn't find anything online. I could probably just do some weird set up of bones/morphs with chronosculpt, but that seems like torture. Do people still use metaballs?

Dodgy
11-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Maybe you could use Dpont's marker pen node to push the ground in with a null following where the spade goes in.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm

Ryan Roye
11-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Depends on the level of detail you're after. If you're just shoveling chunks of dirt, I'd just use a pre-chunked model that is seamless with the ground and animate the chunks being removed by the shovel. You could use Bullet if the chunks need to break apart into smaller pieces (you'll need to be aware of scale issues though), combine it with large sprite hypervoxels with grainy turbulence applied, etc.

Lots of directions to go with this one.

ernpchan
11-18-2014, 10:56 PM
I was able to do a test with bullet where I had a bucket loader dig up chunks of geometry and drop them. Not sure if that's what you have in mind.

Surrealist.
11-20-2014, 04:37 PM
I think more details of the shot sequence, location, equipment and materials would help.

Dan_Ritchie
11-24-2014, 09:59 AM
I had to animate a hole being dug for Dan Dare. Tried to do it with particles, and I was never happy with it, but I did a drilling torpedo for Roughnecks, where I just dissolved in different parts of a boolean I dug into the rock, and the drill part covered the dissolve each time it moved up and down. It worked a lot better than I expected, and it was very simple.

jeric_synergy
11-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Ugh, what a headache! If at all possible I'd try to get the director to 'edit around it', lots of audio, that kind of thing. Anything but the dirt itself.

So much effort could be expended on what is essentially a throw-away shot, when an important shot gets neglected due to shortage of resources.

For example, assuming a shovel-based scenario, show character getting ready, switch to an angle UP the handle (towards the sky+character) add audio FX, done.

In a live action shot, how often does the camera DWELL on the digging process? --Of course, if the piece is ABOUT digging, then you're stuck w/it.