PDA

View Full Version : LW - Christmas whish list

erikals
11-17-2014, 06:19 AM
hm, what did i miss, tried to only write the most important ones...
any "must have" features missing?

ps, this is not a rant, just a list i'm working on http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/lwicon.png

Improved Modeler / Layout workflow (tools integration)
Painting weights directly in Layout
Sculpt tools (basics)
Paint tools (basics)
Fluids
Undos fixed in Layout
Faster render engine
Improved render quality
Motion Graphics tools
Faster Modeler / Layout
Improved FiberFX (in general)
Lattice
Animatable Layout Text tool (see C4D)
Micropoly displacement
Instancing with mdd offset
DPont plugins integrated
Basic Muscle Simulation tools
3rdPowers plugins integrated
Modeler, better ArchViz tools
Modeler, retopo tools
Improved IKBooster
Animation Layers
Better Memory Management
Improved Bullet RBD
Improved Cloth
Modifier Stacks
Modeler selection history
Layout surface history
Vray support
Houdini> <LightWave plugin
Improved Genoma
Improved UV tools
Integrated Nevron Motion

hrgiger
11-17-2014, 07:16 AM
Any word from LW3DG on LightWave's future would be gift enough for me.

erikals
11-17-2014, 07:36 AM
again, only what Rob said at the LightWave Japan presentation 1 year ago >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRu_R3RubYI#t=4m27s

quoting Rob Powers >

http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png we are aware of the Modeler / Layout weaknesses, and we are working on ways to eliminate those weaknesses

http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png things like being able to edit your geometry from camera view is important, and we are aware of these limitations and we are going to come out with some unique updates and workflows, but we're gonna remain the strengths of LightWave, whatever direction we move in

raw-m
11-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Thats a very impressive list. Slap in a bit more AE/render pass love and it's pretty complete, for me. Good to me optimistic.....

50one
11-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Any message from LW3D that they're not going out of business.

OlaHaldor
11-17-2014, 08:45 AM
I wish for Open SubD, so it becomes easier to transition between Maya and LightWave the times I need to do this.
And improved feedback so we can have a highlight of which point, edge or polygon we're hoevring over and are about to select. Just that tiny detail does a whole lot.

Every4thPixel
11-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Ok! Don't get mad at me for saying this but:
I don't like lists like this! Lists are often poorly concocted and not well thought of. Lists don't bring a solutions to the table. There's no way of telling what has priority or what so ever. They are just vague pointers to areas where things needs to be improved. What's important is how does LW get better. We don't achieve this by yelling: WE WANT IT TO BE BETTER!
I checked the list and added some questions in capitals (I'm not yelling ;))

Improved Modeler / Layout workflow (tools integration) HOW?
Painting weights directly in Layout AGREED
Sculpt tools (basics) WHY?
Paint tools (basics) WHY?
Fluids
Undos fixed in Layout
Faster render engine WHAT PART DO YOU THINK NEEDS SPEED IMPROVEMENT
Improved render quality HOW? WHAT NEEDS IMPROVEMENT
Motion Graphics tools WHAT EVEN ARE MOTIONGRAPGHIC TOOLS???
Faster Modeler / Layout WHAT DO YOU MEAN? OGL SPEED?
Improved FiberFX (in general) AGREE. FFX IS UNSTABLE AND SLOW AND RENDERS WITH ART EFFECTS
Lattice AGREED
Animatable Layout Text tool (see C4D) <-- THAT MAKES SENSE
Micropoly displacement DP HAS A PLUG
Instancing with mdd offset CAN'T BE DONE DUE LW's ARCHITECTURE
DPont plugins integrated WHY? SO YOU WON'T GET GOOD SUPPORT ANY MORE?
Basic Muscle Simulation tools THAT"S JUST BETTER SOFTBODY DYNAMICS
3rdPowers plugins integrated WHY?
Modeler, better ArchViz tools THERE IS LWCAD
Modeler, retopo tools FUN FEATURE BUT I NEVER USE IT
Improved IKBooster AGAIN, WHAT NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED
Animation Layers COOL
Better Memory Management WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU MEAN? FOR EXAMPLE AN OPTION TO CACHE DISPLACEMENT NODES DIRECTLY TO MEMORY OR MODELER <---> LAYOUT SPEED IMPROVEMENTS?
Improved Bullet RBD WHAT DO YOU THINK NEED TO BE IMPROVED HERE? DO YOU NEED CONSTRAINTS? BETTER SPEED? MORE DYNAMIC PROPERTIES LIKE STICKINESSES ORE SOMETHING? FORCES?
Improved Cloth AGAIN WHAT?
Modifier Stacks IF YOU WANT MODIFIER STACKS YOU NEED TO USE A DIFFERENT PROGRAM LIKE MAX I DON"T SEE THAT EVER COMING TO LW
Modeler selection history WE HAVE SELECTION SETS? HOW WOULD YOU LIKE THIS TO WORK? DO YOU WANT TO TRACE EVERY SELECTION YOU DO OR WOULD IT WORK IN COMBINATION WITH UNDO?
Layout surface history WHAT THAT?
Vray support WHY?
Houdini> <LightWave plugin WHY?
Improved Genoma WHAT NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED?
Improved UV tools WHAT NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED? PACKING? RELAXING? UNWRAPPING?
Integrated Nevron Motion AGREED

If you're not saying what you want to have improved it's kinda pointless to make lists like this. So please explain what exactly what you want to have for Christmas.

lardbros
11-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Very optimistic list there erikals :)

Are those for Xmas 2018. ;)

erikals
11-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Every4thPixel, most of those should be self-explanatory when it comes to LW, but i'll add explanations a bit later on.

hrgiger
11-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Lw needs better geometry handling, better integration (including both modeler and Layout seperation as well as under the hood program communication ) and less destructive workflows. The rest of the list can be addressed with 3rd party tools or is just fluff. Granted, some of that fluff would be welcome in LW but they should be considering priorities.

erikals
11-17-2014, 11:09 AM
how? > as far as how it should be done has been heavily discussed in other threads, so i'll just refer to those right now.

agree > cool, the LWG agrees to this also

Sculpt tools (basics)
why? > just like in Core / Modo / Blender i see the benefit of this. not sure why you ask.
the LWG also agrees to this

Paint tools (basics)
why? > for sketching simple stuff inside LW without going to a 3rd party app.
see, FI's UV Chalk, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLszqWUKUA

Fluids
--- > i'll assume you agree

Undos fixed in Layout
--- > i'll assume you agree to this one

Faster render engine
what part? > everything

Improved render quality
how? > more realistic renders, without a rewrite of the engine, if possible.
one method is Tone Mapping, but hopefully it is possible to improve the LW render engine.

Motion Graphics tools
what's that? > taking the best features from other Motion Graphics apps and applying them to LightWave for easier workflow. taking stuff from for example After Effects and Flash. i need to make a thread on this one.

Faster Modeler / Layout
OpenGL speed? > yes, OpenGL speed and loading times

agree > good stuff

Lattice
agree > cool

makes sense > cool

Micropoly displacement
use DP plug > it's not true Micropoly displacement so it's slow. good point though.

can't be done due LW's architecture > yes it can, DPont and HDinstance has it

DPont plugins integrated
why? so you won't get good support any more? > no, because "every" LightWaver use them.

that's just better softbody dynamics > if so, piece of cake, but i doubt it's that simple.

why? because they are superb, and LW needs them.

there is LWCad > sure, and some of us would still like to have better ArchViz tools within LW

Modeler, retopo tools
fun feature but i never use it > ok, but i'm sure others would like it

Improved IKBooster
again, what needs to be improved? > many threads on it, and too long to write here.
if you don't know or agree, just ignore this one.

Animation Layers
cool > i guess i could have explained how, but good to see you agree.

Better Memory Management
what exactly do you mean? > better algorithms for reducing memory when rendering, previewing, for image cache, for geometry storage... etc

Improved Bullet
constraints? stickiness? forces? > everything.

Improved Cloth
what? an improved cloth solver, more realistic. this would have to be coded from scratch.

Modifier Stacks
don't see that ever coming to lw > maybe

trace every selection or in combination with undo? > independent from undo
close to this, but more advanced, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i1d1Gxf6I8

Layout surface history
what's that? > basically a list where you can go back to previous surface settings.
independent from undo.

Vray support
why? > again, many threads on it, main reason being Vray is an industry standard,
and the benefits this leads to for 3D apps supporting it.

why? > we have it for RealFlow, we should have one for Houdini too.

Improved Genoma
what needs to be improved? > threads on this, i'll link them in another post.

Improved UV tools
packing? relaxing? unwrapping? > yes, all.

Integrated Nevron Motion
agreed > thanks

erikals
11-17-2014, 11:31 AM
less destructive workflows
absolutely, i posted some of those here >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139159-Modeler-Fixes-Updates

only for Modeler though, need to make a list for Layout as well

erikals
11-17-2014, 11:56 AM
I wish for Open SubD, so it becomes easier to transition between Maya and LightWave the times I need to do this.
And improved feedback so we can have a highlight of which point, edge or polygon we're hoevring over and are about to select. Just that tiny detail does a whole lot.
good request http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Sensei
11-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Faster render engine

Faster Modeler / Layout

Better Memory Management

Mutually exclusive requests.
Typically the less memory program uses, for the same task, the slower it's working.

Speed optimizations often need memory to store somewhere result of their cached preprocessed data. Take f.e. octree, kd-tree as example. They use much more memory than brute-force search for triangle one by one.

In history/modifier stacks every single stage of working modifier is stored in it's own custom memory.. Otherwise clicking on modifier to see just its data would require regeneration of all its children mesh from scratch.

Every4thPixel
11-17-2014, 02:22 PM
how? > as far as how it should be done has been heavily discussed in other threads, so i'll just refer to those right now.
I haven't the time to read every thread here on the forum so at least a link would be handy or just a summery of the thread.

agree > cool, the LWG agrees to this also

Sculpt tools (basics)
why? > just like in Core / Modo / Blender i see the benefit of this. not sure why you ask.
I'd rather have a fully working dynamics system than a basic sculpt tool. The reason I think this is a bit useless is that with a basic sculpting feature set you always bump in to limitations they come with and you end up in 3dcoat or zbrush or something like that. It's probably not on the same priority list because and it's probably coded by a different developer but they have to make compromises. They can't just throw in all features in the list.

Paint tools (basics)
why? > for sketching simple stuff inside LW without going to a 3rd party app.
see, FI's UV Chalk, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLszqWUKUA
Same as for the sculpting. I'm afraid a half build feature will and up as a gimmick instead of being a real useful tool. Looking at FI's tool, It looks cool but it's not something you'd use everyday. That just insn't worth implementing if youçe bigger issues.

Fluids
--- > i'll assume you agree
Yes we need liquid simulations and fire and smoke. That is a tough job...

Undos fixed in Layout
--- > i'll assume you agree to this one
Of course. I may sound like a loony but.....

Faster render engine
what part? > everything
Yea who doesn't want that! but, Smarter sampling would be nice. Smooth reflection blur in out of focus areas could use some improvement

Improved render quality
how? > more realistic renders, without a rewrite of the engine, if possible.
one method is Tone Mapping, but hopefully it is possible to improve the LW render engine.
I'm not sure if you know what Tone Mapping is but, that doesn't have anything to do with rendering. That's just a post process.

Motion Graphics tools
what's that? > taking the best features from other Motion Graphics apps and applying them to LightWave for easier workflow. taking stuff from for example After Effects and Flash. i need to make a thread on this one.
This really needs some explanation.....

Faster Modeler / Layout
OpenGL speed? > yes, OpenGL speed and loading times
I'd like to add more interactive tools like the array tool etc

agree > good stuff
Saying everybody knows or agrees is not really a neat way of discussing issues but in this case a make an exception. I hope the LWG will fix FFX first and then start developing new stuff. FFX is a disaster.

Lattice
agree > cool

makes sense > cool

Micropoly displacement
use DP plug > it's not true Micropoly displacement so it's slow. good point though.
You want it like the MD in octane? I want that!

can't be done due LW's architecture > yes it can, DPont and HDinstance has it
No it can not! Not with this technique. The HDinstance en Dpont instancers use volumetrics which are a lot slower to render. But what LW could do is make a volumetric mode where you could use MDD's and animation offsets etc.

DPont plugins integrated
why? so you won't get good support any more? > no, because "every" LightWaver use them.
Yes and everybody can download them from DPont's site. What's the big deal? If you have a problem with a DPplug you can just contact Denis and he sends you a fixed one if possible. If it's integrated and I mean integrated that wouldn't be possible. Of course if Denis still can update his plugins without the LWG involving it is a possibility, but still what's wrong with downloading them from his site.

that's just better softbody dynamics > if so, piece of cake, but i doubt it's that simple.
It's a piece of a cake factory. All muscle simulation solutions are just approximations of the real thing and with animation everything works the opposite way around. I mean you don't animate the muscles that normally cause the motion but you animate the bones. With a dynamic and morph solution you can get really far. You just have to be a very good rigger to make a realistic muscle system. Then the question rises: In how many cases do you really need a realistic muscle motion system? How many LW artist really need this? This feature doesn't feel really Lightwavy, it's more something you would expect in maya or houdini.

why? because they are superb, and LW needs them.
Yes! They are cool!

there is LWCad > sure, and some of us would still like to have better ArchViz tools within LW
Just buy LWCAD because this sounds like a lot of double work. I don't think the LWG can afford to do this kind of work. That's just a lot of valuable energy down the drain.

Modeler, retopo tools
fun feature but i never use it > ok, but I'm sure others would like it
True, but if you get 3Dcoat you get painting sculpting and retopo for a small amount of money. Everything you are missing for just 379 dollar. Imaging how long it would take to get all the features in LW to the same level. Just a reminder: Have you used the paint'/combing feature in ffx? It's ridiculous.

Improved IKBooster
again, what needs to be improved? > many threads on it, and too long to write here.
if you don't know or agree, just ignore this one.
I've to admit that I almost never use IKBooster. It's much to fiddly diddly for my taste.

Animation Layers
cool > i guess i could have explained how, but good to see you agree.
Yes I like the idea but this is also not a number one a feature. However I like most of the ideas but I like to look at it realistically

Better Memory Management
what exactly do you mean? > better algorithms for reducing memory when rendering, previewing, for image cache, for geometry storage... etc
Just get 64gig in you rig ;) But sure, a lower memory use it better, but it's kind of the same thing as requesting more realistic rendering. You can do a lot by setting up your scene in a clever way. But if the LWG starts to work on this I hope they'll start with speeding up deformations including displacement and nodal motion. Adding changeable motion order would be nice but that's something that needs to be worked out.

Improved Bullet
constraints? stickiness? forces? > everything.
Yes bullet is crappy as it is in it's current state.

Improved Cloth
what? an improved cloth solver, more realistic. this would have to be coded from scratch.
Same as bullet rigid....

Modifier Stacks
don't see that ever coming to lw > maybe
The layout modeler split mmmm. First unification --->

trace every selection or in combination with undo? > independent from undo
close to this, but more advanced, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i1d1Gxf6I8
I've to check this.

Layout surface history
what's that? > basically a list where you can go back to previous surface settings.
independent from undo.
Good idea!

Vray support
why? > again, many threads on it, main reason being Vray is an industry standard,
We have Arnold and Ocatne which are good. Who says Vray is the industry standard? who cares about the industry standard. What counts is what is the best one and that's Arnold in my opinion?

why? > we have it for RealFlow, we should have one for Houdini too.
This feels really like a WE WANT EVERYTHING thing.

Improved Genoma
what needs to be improved? > threads on this, i'll link them in another post.
I like rhiggit a lot! Genoma should work in a more dynamic way and it should be a layout tool. Also a link would be handy. (I'm not going to read the whole forum)

Improved UV tools
packing? relaxing? unwrapping? > yes, all.
Totally agree.

Integrated Nevron Motion
agreed > thanks
One of the coolest newest stuff and we didn't get it. Reminds me of Fusion with the Fusion dimension tools.

erikals
11-17-2014, 04:09 PM
>how? as far as how it should be done has been heavily discussed in other threads, so i'll just refer to those right now.
>I haven't the time to read every thread here on the forum so at least a link would be handy or just a summery of the thread.
will do, just need to find it...

Sculpt tools (basics)
>why? just like in Core / Modo / Blender i see the benefit of this. not sure why you ask.
>I'd rather have a fully working dynamics system than a basic sculpt tool. The reason I think this is a
bit useless is that with a basic sculpting feature set you always bump in to limitations they come with and you end up in 3dcoat or zbrush or something like that. It's probably not on the same priority list because and it's probably coded by a different developer but they have to make compromises. They can't just throw in all features in the list.
just talking super-simple tweaking here, i should have called it
"Modeler tweak tool with brush size that moves the points in the normal direction while dragging the mouse"
"and maybe is pressure-sensitive"

Paint tools (basics)
>why? for sketching simple stuff inside LW without going to a 3rd party app.
see, FI's UV Chalk, href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLszqWUKUA
>Same as for the sculpting. I'm afraid a half build feature will and up as a gimmick instead of being a real useful tool. Looking at FI's tool, It looks cool but it's not something you'd use everyday. That just insn't worth implementing if youçe bigger issues.
myeah... probably too much work...

Improved render quality
>how? more realistic renders, without a rewrite of the engine, if possible.
>I'm not sure if you know what Tone Mapping is but, that doesn't have anything to do with rendering. That's just a post process.
i do know ;]

Micropoly displacement
>use DP plug
it's not true Micropoly displacement so it's slow. good point though.
>You want it like the MD in octane? I want that!
yep! :]

>can't be done due LW's architecture
yes it can, DPont and HDinstance has it
>No it can not! Not with this technique. The HDinstance en Dpont instancers use volumetrics which are
a lot slower to render. But what LW could do is make a volumetric mode where you could use MDD's and animation offsets etc.
hmm, didn't know. good to know. we do agree that it's possible within LightWave though, but maybe it's too much to code.

DPont plugins integrated
>why? so you won't get good support any more? no, because "every" LightWaver use them.
>Yes and everybody can download them from DPont's site. What's the big deal? If you have a problem with a DPplug you can just contact Denis and he sends you a fixed one if possible. If it's integrated and I mean integrated that wouldn't be possible. Of course if Denis still can update his plugins without the LWG involving it is a possibility, but still what's wrong with downloading them from his site.
there was a time when the plugins were not available because of a twist.
anyway, no biggie...

>that's just better softbody dynamics
if so, piece of cake, but i doubt it's that simple.
>It's a piece of a cake factory. All muscle simulation solutions are just approximations of the real thing and with animation everything works the opposite way around. I mean you don't animate the muscles that normally cause the motion but you animate the bones. With a dynamic and morph solution you can get really far. You just have to be a very good rigger to make a realistic muscle system. Then the question rises: In how many cases do you really need a realistic muscle motion system? How many LW artist really need this? This feature doesn't feel really Lightwavy, it's more something you would expect in maya or houdini.
Max / Maya / xSI / Houdini... they all have it. even Blender

>there is LWCad
sure, and some of us would still like to have better ArchViz tools within LW
>Just buy LWCAD because this sounds like a lot of double work. I don't think the LWG can afford to do this kind of work. That's just a lot of valuable energy down the drain.
more thinking in the lines of improving rounder, something like the C4D function, along with other simple fixes / tools.
agree, no point in cloning LWCad.

Modeler, retopo tools
>fun feature but i never use it ok, but I'm sure others would like it
>True, but if you get 3Dcoat you get painting sculpting and retopo for a small amount of money. Everything you are missing for just 379 dollar. Imaging how long it would take to get all the features in LW to the same level. Just a reminder: Have you used the paint'/combing feature in ffx? It's ridiculous.
i have 3DCoat :] as for retopo tools, TrueArt has made a plugin and there is a free one out there (32bit i believe)
i guess we can skip this one, not super-important atm...

Animation Layers
>cool i guess i could have explained how, but good to see you agree.
>Yes I like the idea but this is also not a number one a feature. However I like most of the ideas but I like to look at it realistically
i just know several Pro's want this, and it was the number one thing Mike from The Embassy complained about LightWave not having when doing an Iron Man character animation sequence in,... well, Iron Man...

Better Memory Management
>what exactly do you mean?
better algorithms for reducing memory when rendering, previewing, for image cache, for geometry storage... etc
>Just get 64gig in you rig http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/wink.gif
But sure, a lower memory use it better, but it's kind of the same thing as requesting more realistic rendering. You can do a lot by setting up your scene in a clever way. But if the LWG starts to work on this I hope they'll start with speeding up deformations including displacement and nodal motion. Adding changeable motion order would be nice but that's something that needs to be worked out.
hehe, 64... well, truth is, it's not that expensive anymore. :]

>trace every selection or in combination with undo? independent from undo
close to this, but more advanced, href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i1d1Gxf6I8
>I've to check this.
it's a crude hack, beware.

Layout surface history
>what's that?
basically a list where you can go back to previous surface settings.
independent from undo.
>Good idea!
thanks! ;]

Vray support
>why? again, many threads on it, main reason being Vray is an industry standard,
>We have Arnold and Ocatne which are good.
Who says Vray is the industry standard? who cares about the industry standard.
What counts is what is the best one and that's Arnold in my opinion?
Vray is the standard for ArchViz renders, but that might change. this might be something not needed anymore,
i just know others have wanted it 2 years back. yes, maybe this has changed, don't need it personally. i'll use Octane.

Houdini< >LightWave plugin
>why? we have it for RealFlow, we should have one for Houdini too.
>This feels really like a WE WANT EVERYTHING thing.
yes... muahaha :] no really, it ain't that hard, i could actually do parts of it myself now. maybe down the line.
the reason for this request is the Houdini Indie, where you get some of the best fluids in the industry for $200.

Improved Genoma
>what needs to be improved? threads on this, i'll link them in another post.
>I like rhiggit a lot! Genoma should work in a more dynamic way and it should be a layout tool. Also a link would be handy. (I'm not going to read the whole forum)
RHiggit is great, have it, but there are small things that can be fixed in Genoma, yes, i'll link it later on, need to find the various links.

Julez4001
11-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Okay I "like and don't like" a lot of things brought up as features in this thread.

I agree with Every4thPixel that LWG shouldn't re-invent the wheel where the tools already work and are working very well.
I think if you put that type of filter on top of Erikals list then it should at least demonstrate to LWG of what's most important.

(1) MultiPass rendering management tool and more integrated connection to After Effects.
With the Cinema button in AE and VC's Element, Newtek should always have better version of that integration on each upgrade.
Lightwave Render is its greatest strength and should always be catered to. Bigger, better and more competitive.

(2) Hair system. Sigh! FiberFactory just is not reliable and rock solid. They need Steve Worley on this.
Howabout Sasquatch 2 ..hair, fur and full raytacing. Enough said. Optimize.

(3) Volumetrics and Fluid System. Improve on Dynamoite or buy Turbelence and make it better.

(4) Improved dynamics: Bullet , cloth and particle systems.

(5) UV tools as mentioned.

---

Upgrade Chronosclpt to function like Joe Alter's tools with audio, rotate, etc

Really without them visiting one fo these features and making them hard core/rock solid. Everything else is moot.

erikals
11-18-2014, 10:14 AM
I agree with Every4thPixel that LWG shouldn't re-invent the wheel where the tools already work and are working very well.
just to make sure no one misunderstands.
the tools you are referring to here are of course 3rd party tools, plugins.

it's confusing though, as you don't mention what to include and what not to include.
is it fine to incorporate 3rdPowers and Turbulence plugins and more, but not LWCad a-like tools and DPont plugins ?

not saying you are wrong, just wish you could emphasize a bit

Julez4001
11-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Well I am thinking that Lightwave's largest needs and direction should be tools that need to the most extreme focus and polishing.
Unfortunately those tools are under the LW hood as opposed to the 3rd party plugins.
Aside for the fluid sims, Lightwave 's features are somewhat complete. The Composite Render buffer needs a management tool.
Hair and fur Shader is "UNRELIABLE" and un-intuitive.

LWCAD, the few times I played with but also monitor user's feedback is rock solid. Should Newtek make its own version of AD system. Seems pretty pointless.
I agree Dpont plugins would probably served better being integrated but do we trade in the "super quick" turnaround that plugin set for LW 16.1, 16.2, 16.3 type of cycles.

I would prefer rock solid advancements we are begging for over flashy and gimmicky features no one ask for. I will say the latter has been few and far between in recent versions

erikals
11-19-2014, 05:11 AM
I would prefer rock solid advancements we are begging for over flashy and gimmicky features no one ask for.
um, several of these features requests are copied straight from the very best LightWave users, so wouldn't say that...

Julez4001
11-19-2014, 05:43 AM
Keep it simple.
Core Lightwave features already integrated but feel incomplete: " has poor workflow/ crash all the time " versus mimicking 3rd party plugins that work like a champ.

Other than the third party fluid sims and shaders: Dynamite and Turbelence (which could be argued Hypervoxels since it hasn't updated in a decade) LWG should fix and boost what they have instead of showing up at the "3rd party" late.

I mean for instance (pun intended)
Would you rather have Vray or raytracable rock solid (as in sasquatch), great looking fur and hair systems complete with dynamics .
If you could direct the LWG and have them focus on either or...which one would you ask for.

Different ppl have different priorities.
I would pick the latter as LW has a great rendering engine and Vray could come later (as we have Octane and Kray).
FiberFactory is whole useless in the long run.

Julez4001
11-19-2014, 05:54 AM
I would rather they work on ChronoSculpt 2 with features that mimick Lipservice / Lbrush, audio synch timeline versus adding into Sculpting in Modeler.
Modo has it and hardly anyone uses it because Zbrush and 3DCoat are pretty turnkey solutions with features LW3 will never compete or catch up to.
Probably why Maya hasn't worried about. Mudbox anyone?

erikals
11-19-2014, 07:09 AM
I mean for instance (pun intended)
Would you rather have Vray or raytracable rock solid (as in sasquatch), great looking fur and hair systems complete with dynamics .
If you could direct the LWG and have them focus on either or...which one would you ask for.
it's not like the LWG is going to focus on 1 feature only

there's a reason why this thread name includes the word "list" and isn't called "what current features should the LWG fix"

Julez4001
11-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Just examples..just examples. That's why I was trying to set parameters on how prioritize features.

erikals
11-20-2014, 12:40 AM
LWG just confirmed future Micro Poly Displacement

kolby
11-20-2014, 12:47 AM
My big wish is renderer improvements in terms of speed and quality. Yes, native renderer is still very good and capable, mainly for exterior kind of lighting, but for interior animation with dynamic lighting and moving objects it is slow and in some cases even unusable. Maybe implementing of Embree kernels can do that magic ?

50one
11-20-2014, 01:48 AM
LWG just confirmed future Micro Poly Displacement

That was hardly a confirmation:) *We've got it in plans*

erikals
11-20-2014, 08:49 AM
of course micro-poly displacement is absolutely in the plans
i call that a confirmation, ok, maybe i'm exaggerating a bit... let's see... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

erikals
11-22-2014, 10:58 PM
LightWave Bullet will improve by every new LightWave release
bit vague, but LWG confirms Bullet fixes/updates, let's see what LW12 brings

prometheus
11-23-2014, 01:09 AM
my christmas present would consist of..

1. Improved hypervoxel- volumetric item for hero clouds amongs others, black body and temperature for better fire looks..and improved blending tension in volume mode, also distance between particle gradients all places possible,open VDB possible
fixes of bugs such as fallof not working, hypervoxels distorting surface turbulence textures...and implementing better smoothing thickness gradients or introducing a thickness curve editor.
2. Revamped ogo taiki for atmospheres and volumetric skies.
3. particle enhancement, dynamics working with bullet parts, and soft bodies.
4. particle management ...huge amount of particles cook at decent times.
5. particle management..full nodal acess to drive particles everywhere.
6. medium level sculpt brush in both modeler and layout
7. better brush styling for fiberfx..among a lot of other stuff needed to enhance fiberfx.
8. micropoly displacement is on it´s way
9. parametric modeling-history stack on and off for creating models.
10.and top of the cream..maybe..just maybe some medium leveled liquid fluid solver.

That´s probably my top ten, then again..I saw santa kiss my mother when I was a kid, not sure I believe in him any more :)

Michael

Dan_Ritchie
11-24-2014, 12:18 PM
>>Sculpt tools (basics) WHY?

So I don't have to spend half a day downgrading my object to a format like OBJ to export to another program like Sculptris or Blender, so I don't have to spend another half a day figuring out why it won't load into that program, and so I don't have to learn those other programs in the first place.

prometheus
11-24-2014, 12:24 PM
>>Sculpt tools (basics) WHY?

So I don't have to spend half a day downgrading my object to a format like OBJ to export to another program like Sculptris or Blender, so I don't have to spend another half a day figuring out why it won't load into that program, and so I don't have to learn those other programs in the first place.

yup..something along that line, recently been testing wings3d as a newbie, and it´s magnet tweak tool with normal falloff is nice, and you also got sculpting there, it might actually serve better as the tool to start of sculpting some main terrain then port to lightwave, though wings need to improve on that mesh handling, you can´t divide the mesh that much and still have the brush working decently fast.
But..it should be in lightwave...right, no messing with other software that interfere with the workflow.

Sensei
11-24-2014, 10:30 PM
That might be nice addition to LW for painting textures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz8f-3HQN4U

$1000. Much more pleasant price than for 24".

Together with Auto Update Images (http://autoupdateimages.trueart.eu), you could paint on Cintiq 13HD and see render on 2nd LED monitor VPR real-time render of your textures on 3d object.