PDA

View Full Version : After the Digital Fusion 7 Annoucement, should the LW3DG offer Modelerfor Free?

robertoortiz
11-16-2014, 11:09 AM
I was thinking that a great way for the LW3d G to get new users is to offer a free version of Modeler maybe on the steam Platform.
This approach is something that is being done with Digital fusion and it would be a sure fire way to expand the user base.

What do you guys think?

-R

Ryan Roye
11-16-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't think it'd be effective, the reason being is that Blender already has the market for people who want a free modeling program.

Fusion 7, on the other hand, is likely to be successful because there were no dedicated compositing tools available for free before the release to my knowledge... the free version of HitFilm2 was only available for a short time and a lot of people may have missed the window to snag it. Blender could be used for compositing, but it isn't what Blender was designed for and it doesn't handle full-time video playback (unless they changed that recently). Same goes for Lightwave; I wouldn't recommend using it as a compositing tool though it can be done. So, people who are looking to get into high-end compositing in the first place without emptying their bank accounts can now do so.

m.d.
11-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Blackmagic has some ulterior motives....

This is not a benevolent non profit movement, they are building a brand. Right now BM is a 1 photo editing and 1 pro audio app away from being a serious adobe competitor....and they did it for pennies on the dollar what adobe did in R&D over the years.
Buy businesses that have a solid product and are floundering economically, and turn the business model on it's head.

It's amazing at the depreciation some of the tech companies go through, Avid bought softimage from Microsoft for $285 million and sold it to autodesk for $35 million. I am betting BM paid very little for Eyeon and DaVinci

Reality in this day and age is a lot of high end software is inaccessible to the masses because of price, Blackmagic switched Davinci from a $200,000 platform (i personally know people that paid 1/2 million for an HD only version years ago) to a $1000 platform, increasing sales probably 1000 fold. This also increases sales of their hardware as it would now be guaranteed to work with the product.
Before BM purchase of DaVinci...AJA and Nvidia was probably the preferred monitor out for resolve, and Eyeon and BM had a long standing issue with Fusion displays, each company blaming the other.

The problem with attracting people to your product is that no one is willing to take the time to learn a new complicated software on a 1 month trial, only to loose all rights to it later.
This is why piracy on an individual level is not a big concern for certain software, because they know it allows people to gain expertise in their products growing the talent pool and should that person decide to go legit and professional, they will likely buy into the product they know. Just the way it is....
So the BM business model is give away for free, and make up the margins on the unlimited software and hardware (the DaVinci control surface is still $30 thousand dollars)

Not sure Lightwave could afford the same type model.....they don't have other products in the same environment. Tricaster is as separate beast and their interaction is limited, as most LW don't own a Tricaster. I now own 3 blackmagic products. Newtek giving away modeler would simply be giving away profit.

There is also stiff competition...blender, sculptris, Clara ect .

m.d.
11-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Fusion 7, on the other hand, is likely to be successful because there were no dedicated compositing tools available for free before the release to my knowledge... the free version of HitFilm2 was only available for a short time and a lot of people may have missed the window to snag it. Blender could be used for compositing, but it isn't what Blender was designed for and it doesn't handle full-time video playback (unless they changed that recently). Same goes for Lightwave; I wouldn't recommend using it as a compositing tool though it can be done. So, people who are looking to get into high-end compositing in the first place without emptying their bank accounts can now do so.

There were a few...Autodesk toxic being the most recent
Used to be $3500
http://www.cgchannel.com/2014/04/autodesk-to-release-toxik-and-matchmover-for-free/

Another (not free) option recently is SGO mamba a chopped down version of Mistaka which is another 5 figure composting app, but cheap as hitfilm and fully nodal. Much more powerful then hitfilm IMHO
http://www.sgo.es/mambafx/

Surrealist.
11-16-2014, 09:36 PM
I was thinking that a great way for the LW3d G to get new users is to offer a free version of Modeler maybe on the steam Platform.
This approach is something that is being done with Digital fusion and it would be a sure fire way to expand the user base.

What do you guys think?

-R

Sure I agree. This is the trend these days. It will very soon be that if you are not offering something for free it is going to be hard to compete. It is a great way to expand a user base. It does not really matter what other competing free tools are out there.

An even more brave move would be to offer a LW Indie along side other options including completely free educational software for schools and students. It does not have to stack up to or even compare to Maya. It just has to prove that it is an option used in the industry - which it is. And that alone is justification for schools to offer it as something that students can get, play with and compare. No, it will not change things in the industry. But it will have a great impact from a marketing perspective.

hrgiger
11-17-2014, 02:37 AM
Sure, with a polygon limit. That way, people won't know that the geometry engine isn't exactly speedy.

Surrealist.
11-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Well I think it is easy to forget there is a lot of things in modeler as a modeler that have nothing to do with strictly modeling. If you were to strip out weight painting, rigging tools, powergons, lexigons, I mean pretty much all of the stuff that is co-dependent on Layout or that you would normally port to layout, you have a fairly lean app by comparison. That with the new modeling tools recently implemented, it would be fairly useful as just a modeling app.

The one thing I would leave in would be the morph tools which can be used to export objects to other programs for blend shapes or the full LW version of Modeler for use in Layout for animation.

From a marketing perspective you have a greatly reduced version that can be offered for free. It would have the same effect marketing wise as all of the other things we are seeing, I think. It would help attract more people. Get more people using a LW centric workflow.

Just in theory I like the idea. Though it may conflict with plans for LW12 which we know nothing of.

robertoortiz
11-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Onw thing I would keep is the ability to export to STL. Right now the 3d printing market is wide open.