PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to turn off the display of instances in the viewports?

lertola2
11-16-2014, 10:14 AM
I have a scene with so many instances that I cant see the underlying bones and nulls. Is there a way to turn off the display of all instances? I have a lot of objects with a lot of instance layers each so it would be painful to go to each object's instance panel to hide them.

Oldcode
11-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Yes,

Select the object where you have the Instancer applied. There should be a check mark there. Uncheck it and it will turn off the Instancer while preserving you settings. I use it all the time for just the reason you mentioned. Here's a screen shot of the control in the Properties box.

Here is a shot where I have the Instancer turned on, and the exact same shot where the Instancer is turned off.

Greenlaw
11-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Alternatively...

...you can disable Render Instances under the Render Globals>Render tab. This is a global switch that hides all instances from rendering (F9, VPR, etc.,) but keeps them visible in OGL. (The method mentioned the above post hides a specific instance of Instancer.)
...in Instancer, uncheck the item you wish to hide. This hides only the instances for the unchecked instancer layer, and it doesn't remove or reset them. This is useful if you only want to hide some but not all instances.
...in a selected instancer source's object panel, enable Unseen by Camera. this hides the instances of the source object but you can still have shadow options in effect for the instances. It's useful for compositing. (Naturally, you can hide the shadows by disabling Cast Shadows just below it.)
...if you just want to hide the source object(s), uncheck it (them) in Scene Editor.

So, lots of options. The method to choose depends on the reason you wish to hide them. Hope this helps.

G.

Sensei
11-16-2014, 06:19 PM
I have a scene with so many instances that I cant see the underlying bones and nulls. Is there a way to turn off the display of all instances? I have a lot of objects with a lot of instance layers each so it would be painful to go to each object's instance panel to hide them.

No.

I tried writing plugin doing this, it works only until clicking f.e. next frame, refresh frame etc.
Instancer is regenerating new instances and set ups (resets) drawing mode that's in its internal data..

Oldcode, Greenlaw, you're talking about how to disable *render*, while OP wants to not to have display in Layout viewports..

lertola2
11-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks Sensei. It would be helpful to be able to hide instances in the layout viewports without having to disable rendering. I will put in a feature request for this.

JBT27
08-25-2015, 03:23 AM
Thanks Sensei. It would be helpful to be able to hide instances in the layout viewports without having to disable rendering. I will put in a feature request for this.

It really would. I've just submitted a feature request too. many instances on many instance objects with multiple generators per object needs a global toggle whilst developing a scene, not just for F9/F10. You need all instances showing to be able to assess the scene in VPR, but you need to switch them off to improve interactivity - many instances seriously impacts performance in OGL.